T Nation

Gaining Size and Wrestling

Ive been training for about 3 years now, pretty regularly and intensely. You could say im still a beginner but i read a lot. Books, articles, pretty much every new article that comes out on T-Nation, some BB.com too. Im 16 and i wrestle and have been doing it for 3 years. Im pretty good at wrestling (not cocky, just satisfied with how im doing) but although ive been training for so long i feel like i havent made a lot of progress.

strength wise im pretty comfortable. im 5’8, about 160 (wrestled 145) right now, deadlift about 365(more with bad form), squat 315, bench 245(hopefully 255 in a week)and can do about 17 pullups. Im extremely motivated, never miss a workout, and ive recently started a program i created based off http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1807367 (blending size and strength)

i log most of what i eat(ok maybe i could do more but its a bitch sometimes) and all my workouts, sets, and reps. Im getting frustrated though because i feel like my physique and strength don’t match up. I know kids who came into the gym way smaller than me and worked out for 6 months to a year and are already getting bigger than me (without steroids) even though my maxes are way more, sometimes even double theirs.

basically i would like some advice on what kind of hypertrophy programs you guys think work,i think i might overtrain (between wrestling and working out) because my workouts will have 36 sets with 9 different lifts, and will take 1 and a half to 2 hours to complete, and ive been watching some videos now and some routines have 3-4 different exercises for a certain body part (back, legs, arms).

i dont wanna take steroids, prohormones. i take N-large(protein shake), a multi, and 3 grams of Creatine ethyl ester right now just want some advice on what to eat and how to train.
if you respond to this ill be extremely greatful just for the fact you actually read this whole thing haha.Any advice and criticisms are extremely appreciated

Cut down your work out length, lower the number of exercises and reps/sets, up the weights and intensity, focus on different muscle groups on workouts, but please dont have a “bicep burn out day” and last but not least get your nutrition right.

you need reps in around 8-12 range, and to eat more. having big muscles is more about eating and knowing what to do in the gym… even if you dont reach failure at the gym you’ll have progress. remember that sumos have the most muscle of all(bodybuilders/powerlifters)

strength is more about training with very high loads to near failure or failure, CNS. building muscles of course helps too.

thanks a lot. i really appreciate the info. im gonna start a new routine next week