T Nation

Gaining Muscle While Staying Lean?

I really want to get bigger muscles but still be ripped. Are there any kinda of routines or workouts the can get me more muscle mass and be ripped…

I workout in a well equipped weightroom and have been for the past 4 months…I have a workout plan and have been following it but I haven’t gotten the results I hoped to get. How do I get where I want to be???

This is what I look like after 4 months.

Has little to do with training and everything to do with diet.

Read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

[quote]Huh? wrote:
Has little to do with training and everything to do with diet.

Read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956[/quote]

Why would someone who has been lifing for four months need to read that when that wasn’t written for “beginners”?

[quote]wallee_09 wrote:
I really want to get bigger muscles but still be ripped. Are there any kinda of routines or workouts the can get me more muscle mass and be ripped…

I workout in a well equipped weightroom and have been for the past 4 months…I have a workout plan and have been following it but I haven’t gotten the results I hoped to get. How do I get where I want to be???

This is what I look like after 4 months.[/quote]

Its very difficult to answer because you havent stated your progress on your current lifting program and diet.

I mean if you’ve put on 7 pounds of muscle and gained strength on heavy compound lifts, then stick with what your doing.

If, on the other hand you look the same as you did 4 months ago and are no stronger…then get reading…theres tons of articles on strength and diet on T-Nation…dont be lazy,

readers are leaders

4 months is a good start. Study, read, lift, eat appropriate. Repeat for another 10 sets of 4 months.

Never would I have the patience to gain 7 pounds in 4 MONTHS just so I could keep a six pack.

to add on to what I was saying earlier…in that 4 months I gained 10 pounds. I would think that most people in 4 months would gain at least twice that. I did use for 2 months protein shakes twice a day but then stopped and never really got back on using it…and most of my workouts would be upper body one day and the next lower body, abs everyday…sets were mostly 3x8 and 5x5.

[quote]wallee_09 wrote:
to add on to what I was saying earlier…in that 4 months I gained 10 pounds. I would think that most people in 4 months would gain at least twice that. I did use for 2 months protein shakes twice a day but then stopped and never really got back on using it…and most of my workouts would be upper body one day and the next lower body, abs everyday…sets were mostly 3x8 and 5x5.[/quote]

10 pounds in 4 months is pretty good gaining. However, im not sure i believe you, given how lean you are

why are you doing abs every day? you should treat them like any other muscle, they need time to recover.

The truth is that there is no carved-in-stone, black-and-white method to do whatever it is you want to do, especially if you want to do it with immediate gratification.

You need to start reading articles. Explore this site. Check out the Beginners forum. Read and read some more. Read for days and weeks and start doing what you think sounds sensible, given your goals. Don’t jump from program to program or diet to diet every week; pick something for at least 4 weeks and stick with it. Check your progress. Adjust accordingly.

No one here can tell you what will definitely work for your body or your goals better than YOU once you’ve got some knowledge and practical experience under your belt.

Seriously: read and read and read. Experiment. Ask clarifying questions about the articles/programs. Use the search feature. Apply knowledge. Grow. Repeat. There is no better way.

Welcome to T-Nation, where we like to see newcomers who can learn to walk the walk. If you can handle that, you’ll love it here.