T Nation

Gaining Muscle Mass

I’m an 18 year old male, but I’m fairly small. Considering my height (5’6) it’s certainly not that bad, but I’d love to gain more muscle mass.

I weigh 131 pounds right now with a body fat % of 11. I’m quite happy with that, still room for a little improvement but not much. The area I most want to improve on are my pecs… they’re just not defined and there too small.

I hear that doing push ups is a great way to build them up, is this true? I can do 40 consecutive push ups with perfect form, but I’m dead after this.

side shot

[quote]Paul1234 wrote:
I’m an 18 year old male, but I’m fairly small. Considering my height (5’6) it’s certainly not that bad, but I’d love to gain more muscle mass.

I weigh 131 pounds right now with a body fat % of 11. I’m quite happy with that, still room for a little improvement but not much. The area I most want to improve on are my pecs… they’re just not defined and there too small.

I hear that doing push ups is a great way to build them up, is this true? I can do 40 consecutive push ups with perfect form, but I’m dead after this. [/quote]

LOL

Please God be a troll. I’m 3 inches taller then you and outweigh you by 120lbs. Geezus, this forum needs a 0 rating. Go read the beginners stickies, lift heavy shit, and eat everything that isn’t fast enough to get away from you.

5’6, 131 is a lightweight man. You don’t really have any muscle definition or a base of muscle to build on. Use something like starting strength of some sort of 5x5 program with a good diet and post here in a year or maybe 2.

i gave you a 9.

would have a 10 but you are right about your pec size

NICE ABZ BRO!

but seriously go workout for two years then come back and post.

Okay so I workout every two days, and I’m skipping lunch at work. I eat a fair breakfast and supper though, so I estimate my calorie intake at 1,500 daily, and with the added burning of 4 miles a day walking, I’d say I’m burning at least 2,100 calories a day. So that’s a very good calorie defecit right there. :smiley:

I only want to lose say, 3-4 pounds of fat. That will get me down to about 8-9% body fat. Then it’s just about gaining a little more muscle mass and I’m golden, woohoo.

[quote]Paul1234 wrote:
Okay so I workout every two days, and I’m skipping lunch at work. I eat a fair breakfast and supper though, so I estimate my calorie intake at 1,500 daily, and with the added burning of 4 miles a day walking, I’d say I’m burning at least 2,100 calories a day. So that’s a very good calorie defecit right there. :smiley:

I only want to lose say, 3-4 pounds of fat. That will get me down to about 8-9% body fat. Then it’s just about gaining a little more muscle mass and I’m golden, woohoo.[/quote]

Troll school has a 99% graduation rate. You failed out after the first semester, apparently.

you’re either a troll or a moron…or both.

if your not a troll a reality check is needed

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
you’re either a troll or a moron…or both.[/quote]

Maybe my first post is confusing. English is not my first language. :confused:

A buddy recoommended this site. I just wanted to know the best exercises to create gain in the areas I really want, my chest, biceps, and forearms.

[quote]Paul1234 wrote:
iamthewolf wrote:
you’re either a troll or a moron…or both.

Maybe my first post is confusing. English is not my first language. :confused:

A buddy recoommended this site. I just wanted to know the best exercises to create gain in the areas I really want, my chest, biceps, and forearms.[/quote]

You should not be trying to lose weight. Even if you get to 8% bf, you will not have good abs, or anything else, because you do not have enough muscle mass anywhere on your body. Compare how you look to how Chris Shugart looks. He’s a small guy in bodybuilding terms, but he’s a heck of a lot bigger then you.
YOU SHOULD NOT BE IN A CALORIC DEFICIT!!!

You need to grow bigger if you want to build a lean, muscular body. You do not need to lose a few pounds, you need to gain about 20 pounds of muscle. Go the beginner’s forums, and read the stickies.

You gain weight by breaking muscle and consuming protein to rebuild them stronger. It has nothing to do with calories. Calories are a measurement of energy. Take too much and your body stores it as fat which you have to burn off by creating a calorie deficit. It’s that simple.

[quote]Paul1234 wrote:
You gain weight by breaking muscle and consuming protein to rebuild them stronger. It has nothing to do with calories.[/quote]

wow. just wow.

Please keep a log of your progress here:

Yeah dude continue with the push ups cause you are definately lagging in that area…Also continue with you diet. Could you post what you eat cause I want to have a similar body style as you. I heard that bicep curls will get you arms huge and walking around squeezing a tennis ball works your forearms, though I’m not sure howm long you squeeze it for.

I would also try doing more pushups cause that works well, though I can’t find any websites to gives proper execrsies for any of those body parts you want bigger. I cannot wait for the day when a website will give out how to do a proper execrise routine and how to get proper nutrition. Until that day comes keep trucking.

how long is a piece of string?

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

[/quote]

Well I appreciate you posting to increase your e-peen post count than, hope you feel better. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Paul1234 wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:

Well I appreciate you posting to increase your e-peen post count than, hope you feel better. :P[/quote]

I wouldn’t talk, seeing as if you keep up your current plan, his “peen” will be bigger around than your neck. Seriously, go to the beginners forums, read the damn stickies, and disabuse yourself of the notion that you have a good build. You’ve got a lot of work to do before you’re anything more then a skinny weakling, and apparently a lot of learning to do before you’re anything more then stupid.