Gaining Mass Around the Knee

Go visit the doctor and get a script for physical therapy.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33895&tid=115

give this a read

UPDATE:

Last week I built a box and have used it twice now. I love box squats!

I have new soreness in new areas. I am definitely sore around the knee and in the VM area just from pushing my knees out on the concentric portion of the lift, exploding off the box.

I definitely think I am going to benefit strength-wise from these, but I’m also posting because I think I found an exercise that I was looking for back when I originally posted this.

And as for the knee pain I had, that pain went away after 10 days or so of non-stop popping Aleve and not squatting heavy. I think the pain was just a result of not cycling heavy/light days and just squatting heavy consecutively too much.

[quote]TravisCS84 wrote:
UPDATE:

Last week I built a box and have used it twice now. I love box squats!

I have new soreness in new areas. I am definitely sore around the knee and in the VM area just from pushing my knees out on the concentric portion of the lift, exploding off the box.

I definitely think I am going to benefit strength-wise from these, but I’m also posting because I think I found an exercise that I was looking for back when I originally posted this.

And as for the knee pain I had, that pain went away after 10 days or so of non-stop popping Aleve and not squatting heavy. I think the pain was just a result of not cycling heavy/light days and just squatting heavy consecutively too much. [/quote]

you should still get it checked out better safe then sorry

I am a powerlifter experiencing the same type of pain. It was diagnosed as a patellar tracking issue. Basically, the VMO is really weak compared to the rest of my quad, and my kneecaps get pulled out to the sides a bit, causing a shear stress on the tendon. Here is what I 've been instructed to do:

Leg extensions, toes out
Leg curls, toes in
Ballet-style plies (sp?), flexing quads hard at lockout to activate the VMO
Plie jumps - on your toes, do a plie and jump. While in the air, flex quads hard. Land on toes.
Inner thigh work with cables and bands.

I’ve also added in high bar close stance deep squats. These seem to hit it nicely.

After getting it checked out, I recommend finding someone that does ART and Graston. The ART didn’t do a whole lot for me, but for some it works really well. The Graston techniques have been helping me a lot.

I like doing a set or two of Oly-style squats occasionally for high reps, just to address this very thing.