T Nation

Gaining Just Fat

If you have read one of my previous posts, you will know that I’m an 18 year old, 131lbs, 5ft 10, with a bf% of around 5%, and that I’ve been training for about 6 months, in which time I’ve put on about 2lb of fat, 1lb of muscle and about 2lb of water.

This is despite hard training in the gym. My calorie intake has been fairly high- about 2800 a day, and been consistantly clean. My question is, how is it possible, when training hard and following a fairly well-structured diet, to gain more fat than muscle?

Advice which has been given to me in order to increase my muscle mass is to eat more, but surely this would only further contribute to a greater fat gain ratio over minimal muscle gain,as has so far been the case?

What you call fairly high is fairly low. Eat more, eat more often and put more weight on the bar everytime you get into the gym. There won’t be a magic answer for you sorry. Five lbs in six months is very very low. Try putting on AT LEAST a lb a week, otherwise you just flat out aren’t eating enough. Good luck with your training.

You should try changing your screenname from Watermelon_2001 to something like Dyanmo_2001 or Unstoppable_2001.

But seriously, how did you measure how much weight you gained from water alone? I didn’t know you could do that, and I find it a little hard to believe, so I am asking you to teach me.

I know you can figure out how much muscle and fat you have, compare over time, and figure out how much you have gained/lost, but water is a major component of both muscle and fat - if you gained X pounds of muscle, some percentage of that is water.

So how did you figure out that you gained 3 pounds of muscle and fat, but 2 pounds of water not including the water in the new 3 pounds of mass? Or did you just drink down 2 pounds of water before weighing yourself?

Read this:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=640350

[quote]joshuaforty wrote:
You should try changing your screenname from Watermelon_2001 to something like Dyanmo_2001 or Unstoppable_2001.

But seriously, how did you measure how much weight you gained from water alone? I didn’t know you could do that, and I find it a little hard to believe, so I am asking you to teach me.

I know you can figure out how much muscle and fat you have, compare over time, and figure out how much you have gained/lost, but water is a major component of both muscle and fat - if you gained X pounds of muscle, some percentage of that is water.

So how did you figure out that you gained 3 pounds of muscle and fat, but 2 pounds of water not including the water in the new 3 pounds of mass? Or did you just drink down 2 pounds of water before weighing yourself?[/quote]

I was measured with body-composition scales at the gym, which determine the amount of muscle or fat you’ve gained. The measurements rely on the water content of the body.

Admittedly, not the most accurate method of measuring bodyfat- I try to get measured at the same time every week, after doing the same things, to try and keep it relatively accurate. Unfortunately it’s the only method I have of figuring out pure muscle gain

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
joshuaforty wrote:

So how did you figure out that you gained 3 pounds of muscle and fat, but 2 pounds of water not including the water in the new 3 pounds of mass? Or did you just drink down 2 pounds of water before weighing yourself?

I was measured with body-composition scales at the gym, which determine the amount of muscle or fat you’ve gained. The measurements rely on the water content of the body.

Admittedly, not the most accurate method of measuring bodyfat- I try to get measured at the same time every week, after doing the same things, to try and keep it relatively accurate. Unfortunately it’s the only method I have of figuring out pure muscle gain[/quote]

Those things are worthless, use the mirror to gauge gains. at 5’10" 131lbs you are far away from needing to worry about 2lbs of fat gain.

5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat
5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat 5% bodyfat

You are apparently too scared of losing your 6-pack to cowboy up and eat.

How many more threads are you going to start before you believe the answers that you are getting?

If you are not gaining, eat more.

If you gain fat and muscle, so what?

I don’t know how you make your calculations, but your protein count is off. Your calories are probably off, too, but the answer to your dilemma is more food.

You need more food.

You are 5’10" and a buck thirty. Skinny. That you know that you added 2 lbs. of water baffles me.

You need more food.

Stop these threads and eat. Make your knife and fork your best friends. If you still feel full from your last meal when it is time to eat, good! You are finally starting to eat enough. Say hi to your best friends and go to work.

You need more food.

Think of your body as a locomotive, your stomach is the firebox for the boiler. Do you wait til the flame is dying to chuck coal in? No. You keep chucking coal in to keep the flames high.

You need more food.

I don’t know how much clearer you want people to be. You are not going to get different answers no matter how you phrase your thread.

You are skinny.

It doesn’t matter how many calories or how much protein you think you are getting. You are not getting results.

You need more food.

Eat up.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:

I don’t know how much clearer you want people to be. You are not going to get different answers no matter how you phrase your thread.

You are skinny.

It doesn’t matter how many calories or how much protein you think you are getting. You are not getting results.
[/quote]

You’re totally right dude; Thanks for being blunt and honest about it. I tend to beat stuff to death in terms of asking questions before things finally start to sink in, but the point has been made. No more threads of me going on about food and obsessing over bodyfat. I’m gonna eat. Thanks for helping me to realise this.

You need to eat about 2000 calories a day more.

If you’re putting on fat and not muscle (which you’re not - you’re not putting on anything at all), train harder.

Don’t complain about fat till you’re at 15% or more, which I doubt you’ll get to even if you try.

Get a trainer.