T Nation

Gaining & Antidepressants

Epilogue:

In the end it wasn’t just depression so I don’t have to worry about anti-depressants and gaining. I’m have bipolar disorder so it will be lithium from here on out. It doesn’t seem to bother me and I’v only gained a couple of pounds. I’m glad to be out of the woods on this one!

[quote]edgecrusher wrote:
I’ve read 5-htp will help actually decrease appetite. You may want to look into that if you have a real aversion to Prozac.[/quote]

DO NOT take any 5-HTP while taking any SSRI(which most anti depressants are). Both chemicals function to boost your levels of seritonin via different mechanisms, and to take them concurrently could lead to toxic levels of seritonin.

[quote]Big Stones wrote:
Hey,am I glad I happened along this sight!I’ve been on “mood levelers” since March of this year.I’ve been on generic wellbutrin all along.I’m wondering how common the weight loss thing is?I don’t want to lose weight!But for the last 3 months I’ve been having trouble keeping it on.I compete in the Scottish heavy events and do strongman from time to time.Weight transfers to power for me.[/quote]

You might consider taking Carbolin 19 with that. Most people report an increased appetite while on Carbolin 19.

You’re taking efexor for bipolar disorder? That’s not really a good idea, imo :frowning: I just didn’t train when I was on efexor. Injuries didn’t help. Now I’m on citalopram and that seems to be a lot better.

[quote]OllyB wrote:
You’re taking efexor for bipolar disorder? That’s not really a good idea, imo :frowning: I just didn’t train when I was on efexor. Injuries didn’t help. Now I’m on citalopram and that seems to be a lot better.[/quote]

L-i-t-h-i-u-m

I agree with randman. Take care of yourself mentally! You can’t do shit if your minds not right. It will effect everything you do from getting out of bed everyday to lifting routines. I know believe me. I went through some tough times with my first wife. Some things you cannot control, like the release of the proper amount of chemicals in your brain, is real. I have struggled with depression for about 8 years. I have to take remeron 45 every night to sleep, because I tend to worry to much about the bullshit of everyday life.
Take it from someone who knows,
someone who almost ended everything,
and someone who cannot control those brain chemicals.
If you even suspect a problem go to the freaking doctor. This is no B.S.
The stresses of coping with everything everyday is enough, without your mind playing tricks on you.

There is no doubt that effexor XR put an extra 20-pounds of flabbo on me. I’ve lost 10 of it and still trying

[quote]theo wrote:
Epilogue:

In the end it wasn’t just depression so I don’t have to worry about anti-depressants and gaining. I’m have bipolar disorder so it will be lithium from here on out. It doesn’t seem to bother me and I’v only gained a couple of pounds. I’m glad to be out of the woods on this one![/quote]

Good luck, I’m pulling for you!

Do you think it says something about us, or the state of the world/the way we live nowadays that virtually everyone has been or is on antidepressants?

(I’m on 'em, too, so I’m not sniping.)