T Nation

Gaining 6kg in 6 Months?

Okay guys, I'd like to get a few opinions on this. Basically I'm going to try gaining 6 kg (13.2 lb) in 6 months. Partly to develop a more muscular physique, but it's also a science experiment.

Background: I'm 30 yrs old (male), past training has been cross-country running with some strength training on the side. Fit and healthy, no injuries, and no allergies. I have a background in medical science, and currently work as a navy medic (shore based). As my stats show, I'm fairly slim and have a good lipid profile.

Height: 164cm (5" 4.5')
Weight: 54kg (119 lb)
BMI: 20.08
Cholesterol Profile: LDL - 3.1mmol/L, HDL - 2.0mmol/L, Triglycerides - 0.7mmol/L

My diet's otherwise healthy, but obviously I'll be eating more generous servings at regular timings throughout the day. 0600, 0900, 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2100. Supplements: Chosen for anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and cholesterol lowering effects. I'm currently taking daily doses of... fish oil, flax seed oil, olive oil, and psyllium fibre.

From my baseline of 54 kg, can I realistically weigh in at 60kg by Dec 31? And how would you get there if you were in my shoes?

Are you female? Probably worth mentioning if so.

Well 6 kilograms of what? If you just want to experiment and put on the size then of course that would be easy even if you are a female. If it's muscle you are after then that will be tough. Probably still doable though if you are a male as you most likely have never lifted anything heavy in your life but if you're female then 6 kilograms of muscle isn't going to happen.

How would you do it you ask? Well obviously eat a lot more food and get on a good hypertrophy program.
You most likely want a more detailed answer but it is hard to take this too seriously. You want to go from 54 kilograms to 60 kilograms and we don't know what sex you are? If you're male then this is ridiculous. If you are female then you most likely just need to lift weights and grow some muscle and a nice shape will come regardless.
Strange thread.

So from one endurance athlete to another. Very Possible. After the 2010 Chicago Marathon I weighed in at 173#. From Halloween of 2010 until June of 2012 (20 months) I put on a VERY solid 40# of muscle. I was following the westside protocol religiously and consuming 1 gram of protein for every pound I WANTED to weigh. I made 210 last june.

I did NOT miss TRAINING sessions. Ate clean and consistently and slept like the dead. All of this little expiriment of mine worked out well.
I am now back down to 181# for the cycling aspect of it. I did though manage to keep the great power to weight gains. This has helped with my sprint.

Good luck with it all...d

Agreed on woman or guy.

But you sound depleted and small so that kind of weight might be a bit much as that is a large amount of total % of your current bw. But I think doable as long as weight is all that matters. Water and glycogen seems to be low considering your size so you can get a large jump just from more glycogen and water

If male, you should be able to. If female, I don't know. As in, I literally don't know.

I'm a former cross country runner. I went from ~135lbs to ~158lbs (so, a bit over 10kg) over a period of 3 months with minimal fat gain via a combination of lifting 3x a week and increasing calorie intake. I used a fair amount of milk, cream, eggs and protein powder in addition to other homecooked food.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is to make sure I'm hitting 1 - 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight every single day, and once that's in place, make sure I'm eating enough calories to gain weight. I take my weight every morning before a shower and track it on a whiteboard in the bathroom. Over the course of the week, you should be gaining 1-2 lbs of scale weight when everything is averaged out. If not, you should be eating more. If you're gaining weight faster than that, cut back.

Workout-wise, I'd cut out all cardio for now. I'd make sure I'm lifting using heavy compound movements 3x a week and increasing either the weight on the bar or the reps every single workout. Even if the weight increase is small (say, adding an extra collar to the bar), make sure something goes up every workout. You want a routine that's built around some combination of squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press, dips, pullups/pulldowns and rows.

My current routine, done 3x a week, consists of weighted dips, straight arm pulldowns, squats, overhead press and curls. I've used deadlifts, stiff-leg deadlifts, bench press, floor press, bent rows, and cable rows in the past... just not what I'm working with right now.

Assuming you're working hard in the gym, eating to grow, and getting sufficient rest, this should be basically all you need.

So you gained 40 lbs of "muscle" but then decided to lose all but 8 lbs of said gained muscle? Sounds like you "bulked" and didn't gain as much muscle as you thought

The way I read it he was a very light 173 lbs and decided to bulk for whatever reason, then decided that for his sport of cycling he wished to go back down to 181lbs but successfully kept much of the strength he gained at the higher weight.

I wasn't calling him out or anything, and I'm sure that you're correct as to what he meant. What I meant though is that he said he gained "a VERY solid 40 lbs of muscle," yet is now only 8 lbs heavier than before the huge muscle gain. So that would imply that he really didn't gain 40 lbs of actual lean mass; losing most of that would require sabotaging your training and dieting like a bird, so I don't see how he could possibly have kept the strength gains if what he lost was actually 30 plus lbs of lbw.