T Nation

Gained Weight, but Crashing/Flat on Best Damn Program

Hi Ct

I’ve gotten tremendous results on your best damn program, in fact it’s by far my favourite way to train, I love the low volume and going all out on sets. It seems like I gain 5 pounds after being on the program just for a few days (the less cortisol guess?) So I know this style Is the right one for me.

The problem is that after two weeks I seem to crash and wake up flat, my question is how do I set up the training so that I can avoid this ? I would love to just do this template indefintly whilst changing exercises and methods every so often but my body doesn’t seem to like going all out.

Any advice ?

Thanks

A Neurotic Dieter + Doggcrapp Training = The Most Detailed Log on T-Nation Ever

So you see that you were mentioned in my other thread.

I didn’t know that Christian had this kind of training. Without diminishing the man, as he is incredibly smart, it is basically almost identical to the DC training that I’m doing.

Obviously, I seem to have run into the same kind of problems that you are having.

I’m somewhat convinced because this is not my first time running into this, that this has to be some kind of central nervous type fatigue.

You see, each time this is happened to me (maybe twice in the past), it was as though all I needed to do was eat carbohydrates to get over it.

And although I can’t find any kind of articles for you, I know I did read something somewhere that said that serotonin, the central nervous system, and Muscle Recovery we’re all very very closely related.

So for me, after two days of eating kind of junk, I feel 100% recovered.

Maybe that helps, maybe not. I wouldn’t go changing the actual parameters of the workout program but that’s just me.

I am on my fifth day in week 3 and feeling awesome, I have not been so mentally uplifted on a program in a very long time.
I have just started to lift in the morning in the search for better sleep at night, but find that squat/deads is not for me in the morning, so I split the program up, so I train all but legs in the morning and legs later in the day.
I also plan on running this in a long time, and think that I need to take a deload week from time to time and this can easily be done by not doing the advanced set and mabye capping the last set 2-3 reps short of the previous week.
The art is mabye to take the deload before you crasch :slight_smile:

I agree

I need to be able to seen when I’m getting to the point of over reaching, and if I do a deload week I’m not sure to cut the volume in half and keep intensity or keep all four movements but shy of failure

Same experience here too. Two-three weeks in to this program I crash hard. Lifts start nose diving and feel tired and CNS fatigued every day. I thought I recalled CT to be against training to failure, or “training on the nerve” as he puts it?

I like the program’s structure and brief, intense workouts, but I feel the fatigue management aspect is missing. I’ve personally used HST for the last few years which is kind of similar (high frequency, whole body splits) and had great results from that. I get very strong and never fatigued, but I was looking for something new and thought I’d give this an honest try.

Maybe an idea is to not take big compound movements to failure, only do that with machine or isolation movements.

In Cts new book he has a similar HIT routine, except its a 3 way split, in that there aren’t really any free weight compound movements, its all machines/smith machine. This is to limit CNS fatigue. However I would like CTs input as I do enjoy doing free weight movements.

What program are you using

Best damn training for natural lifters by CT

It’s really not, read the article.

There are more different methods than DC, more frequency too. I would say that if I had to compare it to something it would be Fortitude Training by Dr.Stephenson.

Just because a program calls for one all out work sets doesn’t make it DC training… Arthur Jones was talking about that 50 years ago… Mike Mentzer 30 years ago then Dorian Yates… among others

Btw, which neurotype would you say will benefit most from dc training?

Yea I’d be curious what CT says. Why type is attracted to low volume, high intensity (but intensity in terms of perceived effort not % of 1rm) I’d say reward types? Because it gives you numbers to beat which will boost motivation, also may ways to progress without adding weight, and the low volume means you think in your head to work harder on the one working set. The higher frequency ala cts best damn program would also interest the reward dependant ?

Still would be a type 1 … Type 1a and type 1b are competitive and want to win, they want to “win the workout”, “beat the logbook”. Dorian was like that.

Reward dependant (type 2a and 2b, but mostly 2b) are attracted to more volume because a) they are driven by adrenaline, it makes them feel good, the more of it and the longer it lasts, the better they feel. b) they are muscle-dominant, they need to feel that monstruous pump and once they have it they want to maintain it longer c) they need to be respected and doing more volume (being a hard worker) is a way, in their mind, to be respected.

Furthermore if a RD fails to beat the logbook it makes them feel bad and decrease their motivation. If a NS fails to beat the logbook it pisses them off and makes them want to come back harder to win the next workout

Hello coach have you updated thoughts on this? I like the high freq, pariculary push/pull hit everything 3x a week.

If best damn is suitable for type 1, how would you modulate for a type 2 (focus on repeated momvenets, more volume and pump)? And, by extension, less “intensive” (not one all out set day in day out which seems to be causing some of these posters problems with CNS, flat muscles etc.)?
Thanks!