T Nation

Gained Size in Army, Max Push-ups Dropped

So yeah I used to say ( Im a hard gainer ) ( My genetics are bad )
I was just training with TOOOOO Much volume and light weight even though I thought it was heavy! It wasn't ..

Last 7 month's ive gained plenty size doing Mike O' Hearn power bodybuilding.

from 164lbs to 187lbs at 72 inch's or 6FT still shredded cause im just a skinny guy lol.

Here's why I made the post I currently took a PT Test and man I used to max push ups easily im talkin 80 in 70 seconds... NOW ? I struggle to do 50 lol. Did power bodybuilding completely rob me of all endurance ?

Pt tests aren’t hard man, if it bothers you work push-ups into your routine twice a week if you want. One day do a 2min test and another do as many sets of 40-50 as you can. I did pt tests at your height while weighing 260 and was able to max them.

Dude it’s because you’ve been training your muscles for a specific quality (strength, power), sacrificing a different quality (endurance). Add that to the fact that you’re moving more weight and yeah, your pushups are gonna drop. Same thing with pullups. When I was 130, I worked up to doing 100 pushups in one set. Now at ~180, I can do 40.

[quote]ARMY_AD_Bo wrote:
So yeah I used to say ( Im a hard gainer ) ( My genetics are bad )
I was just training with TOOOOO Much volume and light weight even though I thought it was heavy! It wasn’t …

Last 7 month’s ive gained plenty size doing Mike O’ Hearn power bodybuilding.

from 164lbs to 187lbs at 72 inch’s or 6FT still shredded cause im just a skinny guy lol.

Here’s why I made the post I currently took a PT Test and man I used to max push ups easily im talkin 80 in 70 seconds… NOW ? I struggle to do 50 lol. Did power bodybuilding completely rob me of all endurance ?
[/quote]

just throw in a very high rep day once every 3-5 chest workouts, sets of 30-50, 100 even

You gained 20+ lbs and stopped doing pushups. Duh.

You are now officially unfunctional and should request to be posted to a clerical position on the basis of excessive sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

Don’t know what you do in the Army, but when I was in SpecWar in the Navy, pushups meant shit other than bragging rights. At 210ish and 6’, I was typically hitting mid-50s. Guys (mostly senior to me) would talk shit that day, and then by the time we had showered and work started it was forgotten. Sure, maxing out your PT score looks good on your evals, but in my experience it really didn’t mean much. Army may be different, I know your advancement is different from ours so it may have a bigger effect, or could be the thing that bumps you up a touch, everything else being equal.

That being said, when I did want to work on my pushups for some reason, I would just train them as an extra workout at some point (usually at night, since I lifted in the mornings). I typically used a website that gives a pushup workout promising to get you to 100 pushups, in a 3x per week setup for 6 weeks. They also have them for pullups and situps (even though I know Army guys don’t do pullups, HA). I would do this for a few weeks before the semi-annual test, and then drop them again until next time I needed to work on them. Which wasn’t often.

I train with push-ups and I think it’s good. I don’t care about going over 40-50, I focus on my pecs and I put plates on my upper back. I don’t see the point in doing more.