T Nation

Gained 5 Pounds In 4 Days?

So I started taking Carbolin 19 this monday, as well as M-Stak. (I’m also taking Flameout and CLA as well as standard multivitamins.) I’m kind of wondering if this is a worrisome amount of gain on these things?

Here’s my progress plot I’ve been keeping track of via my scale. (It provides a very inaccurate BF%, which I do record.)

If you’ll notice it says I’ve gained 5 lbs in the past 4 days. That seems highly unreasonable to me… Does a pound of lean mass require 3000 additional calories? I am definitely not eating that amount above and beyond my rest metabolism.

Anyways… I’m confused.

You can gain that in a day. It might be water, it might be food. If you have a scale that claims to tell your BF%, I would not trust it at all.

Honestly, I’d not look at any scale for a couple months.

[quote]4est wrote:
You can gain that in a day. It might be water, it might be food. If you have a scale that claims to tell your BF%, I would not trust it at all.

Honestly, I’d not look at any scale for a couple months.[/quote]

I can gain or lose 5lbs in a day depending on water consumption, food consumption, alcohol consumption or sometimes just whether I have had a shit or not.

Dont stress and as 4est suggested, Dont look at the scales for another month.

No, it seems to me as an estimate that it takes about 1000 calories to build a pound of lean mass if the body is “wanting” to do that. The actual caloric content of a pound of muscle is much less than that, somewhere around 400 or 500 calories, but there is what is called feed efficiency requiring double or so the energy.

Agreed with the above: you can’t really tell with that degree of precision at this point. Let’s see what happens with further measurements.

It is possible for a natural trainer to gain that much in a spurt, and based on your diet it seems you’re certain that it’s not fat. So you may really have gotten it, but as in previous posts, at this point it can’t be ruled out yet that it isn’t just water, extra food in the system, or vagaries of measurement. A little more time will tell.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
No, it seems to me as an estimate that it takes about 1000 calories to build a pound of lean mass if the body is “wanting” to do that. The actual caloric content of a pound of muscle is much less than that, somewhere around 400 or 500 calories, but there is what is called feed efficiency requiring double or so the energy.

Agreed with the above: you can’t really tell with that degree of precision at this point. Let’s see what happens with further measurements.[/quote]

Okay. Sounds reasonable. Well, I’ll stick to what I’m doing and if I continue to gain weight I’ll update the thread with some more information!

[quote]Helga wrote:
I can gain or lose 5lbs in a day depending on water consumption, food consumption, alcohol consumption or sometimes just whether I have had a shit or not.[/quote]

X2

I remember one day last December I gained like 12 pounds in two days. Two days of shitty eating and training hard. (still not sure why i ate so bad those two days)

The next day when I went for my workout and run I came back, took a shit, and stepped on the scale…lost 15 lbs.

So don’t worry about it.

Nice pic. Your shoulders are lagging.

let’s see the wheels.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Nice pic. Your shoulders are lagging.[/quote]

Are you jesting at my graph? :stuck_out_tongue: