T Nation

FutureGl's College Poor Man's Protein

How bout that title?

K so I’m all done with finals, but I’ll be sticking around college for another week to take care of study abroad business (see my Tokyo thread) and volunteer work. However, my dining plan ran out a good month or so ago, and I’m low on funds.

I have about $120 in my bank account to last me until Saturday the 10th. I just went out and bought a good sixty dollars in groceries because let’s face it, I’m not going to be able to eat out much (except I’m taking the lady out to dinner tomorrow night).

I have access to the following: Mini-fridge, blender, toaster, two burner stove top, and a microwave.

The following will be a chronicle of the college sophomore’s poor man’s quest for adequate protein during a week of martial arts and weight training. Obviously I’m not nearly responsible enough to log everything I eat (nor will everything be clean) but I hope to list some pretty budget high protein meals. Feel free to encourage, make fun, take note, or add ideas.

Current meal: Leftover third of a can of corned beef hash, fried with fat free pam cooking spray and topped with a can of tuna, accompanied by a glass of skim milk…

Had a blueberry and banana smoothie, currently consuming four jumbo eggs. Real simple, nothing too out there yet.

Tuna is too expensive. You’re paying at least $1 for like 100 cals. You can get 1500 cals worth of ground beef for $5.

Not sure how you can afford blueberries either.

Eggs are good though. I eat at least 12 a day when I’m in school.

Good call on the tuna! the grocery store i had to walk to was out of ground beef though… got some cheap ass chicken though!

Yeah I bought a blueberry and banana smoothie from coldstone… that was a mistake and I may or may not dearly for it.

Current (late) breakfast: three jumbo eggs, half can “roast” beef hash (yeah whatever), and a glass of milk

Eggs, peanut butter, fatty ground beef, cheap ass steaks, chicken thighs, turkey bacon (surprisingly cheap), and whole milk. That’s all I can think of right now, but they’re all good sources of protein (peanut butter is debatable as I woulnd’t make it the primary protein of any meal) and they’re really cheap. A little can go a long way, they’re all calorically dense. I’d recommend buying assorted nuts in bulk as well, but that obviously just falls under the category of peanut butter-type proteins. They have some good protein, but they have great fats and they’re more for their caloric density in your case.

-dizzle

yeah chicken thighs are ridiculously cheap! how bout that?

Side question actually for whoever wants to take it:

I bought chicken breast with the bone still on to save some dough, but I had so much trouble deboning the meat that I think i might have actually ended up with significantly less than if I had just splurged for the boneless breast. Any tips on deboning or is this just the norm?

Wednesday third meal: curry chicken on bed of baby spinach with lebanese yogurt on the side, 20 oz milk

Doesnt most of the bulk unflavoured milk protein concentrate powders work out cheaper gram for gram of protein then chicken breasts and the such for the best part anyway?

[quote]FutureGL wrote:
Side question actually for whoever wants to take it:

I bought chicken breast with the bone still on to save some dough, but I had so much trouble deboning the meat that I think i might have actually ended up with significantly less than if I had just splurged for the boneless breast. Any tips on deboning or is this just the norm?[/quote]

Just cook 'em with the bone in and eat it off the bone.

-dizzle

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Doesnt most of the bulk unflavoured milk protein concentrate powders work out cheaper gram for gram of protein then chicken breasts and the such for the best part anyway?[/quote]

It’s been proven time and time again that powdered protein really is no substitute for the real thing. Plus, there’s no way in hell I’m drinking straight up shakes for the rest of the week. This ain’t no V-Diet. I’ll sub it for a snack occasionally but that’s it…

Well! today:

breakfast: 5 eggs
snack: protein shake in skim milk
meal: chipotle carnitas salad (gf had a gift card)
meal: curry chicken, lentil soup, sauteed zucchini, white rice (some ingredients borrowed from gf)
pre-bed meal: cottage cheese

[quote]FutureGL wrote:
yeah chicken thighs are ridiculously cheap! how bout that? [/quote]

chicken thighs FTW!

[quote]djwhizkid wrote:
FutureGL wrote:
yeah chicken thighs are ridiculously cheap! how bout that?

chicken thighs FTW!
[/quote]

Oh yes. On the plus side they’re really easy to debone too, much easier than the breast

Well the week is over, I’m poor no longer! Or rather i get to mooch off my parents for the summer. We just went out for mother’s day. Check this out for a meal:

Encrusted veal with a mushroom sauce atop a bed of broccoli rabe.

booyah!