Future of Dentistry?

[quote]The Austrian Oak wrote:
Prof X, I have a question…

How do you feel about mouth washes that contain alcohol, like Listerine?

During my last visit, my dentist told me that he doesn’t recommend alcohol based mouth washes anymore because of studies linking frequent exposure to alcohol and mouth/gum cancer.

I always used Listerine to kill the bad bacteria in my mouth. My dentist claims that regular and thorough brushing and flossing is sufficient for of oral hygeine.

Your thoughts?[/quote]

I haven’t read that research. I often recommend ACT and others without alcohol simply because the patient is more likely to use those and ACT contains fluoride.

However, honestly speaking, if alcohol is now that linked to cancer, then most of America (…Europe, Asia, Africa and especially IRELAND) is in for some serious trouble.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Bryan Krahn wrote:

In Canada, dentists advocating replacing amalgam fillings with composite can lose their licenses. The link between mercury toxicity and amalgam fillings has not been embraced by the powers that be.

Or perhaps, not yet.

I didn’t make that connection and wouldn’t. I don’t believe mercury toxicity is an issue to the patient. The DENTIST is at more risk.[/quote]

Not to mention that the failure rate among composite fillings is much higher.

And of course, what’s worse for the patient? Mercury leeching in the amalgam or the Bisphenol-A in the composite?

The Austrian Oak wrote:
Prof X, I have a question…

How do you feel about mouth washes that contain alcohol, like Listerine?

During my last visit, my dentist told me that he doesn’t recommend alcohol based mouth washes anymore because of studies linking frequent exposure to alcohol and mouth/gum cancer.

I always used Listerine to kill the bad bacteria in my mouth. My dentist claims that regular and thorough brushing and flossing is sufficient for of oral hygeine.

Your thoughts?

I haven’t read that research. I often recommend ACT and others without alcohol simply because the patient is more likely to use those and ACT contains fluoride.

However, honestly speaking, if alcohol is now that linked to cancer, then most of America (…Europe, Asia, Africa and especially IRELAND) is in for some serious trouble.[/quote]

Thanks.

Why do you feel patients are less likely to use Listerine compared to ACT? Because of the burning sensation?

If so, then that has never been a problem for me. I’ll take 30 seconds of minor discomfort if it means that it will help prevent gum disease.

Dear Prof. X,

Is it true I can get like, totally wasted on alcohol-containing mouthwash? My 'rents are out of town this weekend, so I was thinking of making a move on this chick I know. Please respond soon.

Thanks,
V

PS. If not, do you know when I can get roofies?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Dear Prof. X,

Is it true I can get like, totally wasted on alcohol-containing mouthwash? My 'rents are out of town this weekend, so I was thinking of making a move on this chick I know. Please respond soon.

Thanks,
V

[/quote]

Crazy Gary in 10th grade homeroom usually has the stash of roofies…and crack. I personally don’t think crack is conducive healthy teeth so you may want to steer clear of it.

[quote]The Austrian Oak wrote:

Why do you feel patients are less likely to use Listerine compared to ACT? Because of the burning sensation?

If so, then that has never been a problem for me. I’ll take 30 seconds of minor discomfort if it means that it will help prevent gum disease.

[/quote]

It is strictly due to people not liking the burning sensation…that and I treat some kids also and they hate it.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Ya know…sometimes a pm is worth a thousand posts…[/quote]

I figured he could share with anyone, how dare I make a post

thanks for sharing dude.

I catch Oprah on the gym TV at times while at work (if nothing to do) and if it’s about health I pay attention.

I’ve been using a soft brush for probably 6 months now after hearing about the harder ones not being that good for ya.

I have been fortunate enough to not have had any problems with my teeth. Not a single cavity, and I still have all my wisdom teeth, however I do believe that they have contributed to some crowding in the lower teeth. Do you think something like Invisiline would help?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I have been fortunate enough to not have had any problems with my teeth. Not a single cavity, and I still have all my wisdom teeth, however I do believe that they have contributed to some crowding in the lower teeth. Do you think something like Invisiline would help? [/quote]

Yes if you only need minor movement and no teeth need to be extracted. You need to see an orthodontist.

i’m trying SO HARD to come up with a joke involving overcrowding in BBB’s mouth but i haven’t eaten much all day and just can’t seem to pull it off.

will def check out soft brushes and ACT. i’m excited

X,

My lower wisdom teeth came in pretty straight but my upper ones are in left and right field and are hurting my gum’s. Is it possible to just get my upper ones out and not the lower?

Just wondering if it’s been done before.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
X,

My lower wisdom teeth came in pretty straight but my upper ones are in left and right field and are hurting my gum’s. Is it possible to just get my upper ones out and not the lower?

Just wondering if it’s been done before.[/quote]

Your teeth (and everyone else’s) are constantly moving. They only stop moving when they hit something…usually other teeth. If you take one tooth out, the one above or below it will try to find something to hit against unless it is already in contact with a tooth in front or behind the one being removed.

That means if you pull one tooth, 9 out of 10 times, you will end up having problems with the one opposing it as it moves downward over time. This may take years but eventually this may lead to sensitivity issues or even make it more prone to cavities.

this whole thread just makes me worried an anxious about my teeth.

X, is frequent brushing bad? I have been brushing with a soft brush after every 2 meals or so. so that’s about 2-4 times a day. Should I just stick with twice?

[quote]schultzie wrote:
this whole thread just makes me worried an anxious about my teeth.

X, is frequent brushing bad? I have been brushing with a soft brush after every 2 meals or so. so that’s about 2-4 times a day. Should I just stick with twice?[/quote]

Brushing TOO HARD is bad. Brushing often is not.

The Austrian Oak wrote:

It is strictly due to people not liking the burning sensation…that and I treat some kids also and they hate it.[/quote]

So listerine is Okay right? I use that shit religiously, I would marry a bottle if I could.

I always looked at the burn as good pain.

and also…

I have been told I have TMJ. I have a .99 mouth guard and wear it at night, keeps the headache and clicking away. I have been told everything from therapy, massages and BB rows to keep it in check. Any thoughts? (My jaw only bothers me when I’m over stressed.)

Thanks Doc.

Some of the biggest “breakthroughs” we’ve had our lasers and implants. Implants will replace missing teeth. Either lost years/decades ago. Or teeth that had to be pulled or extracted recently. Assuming your a canidate. ie: proper periodntal health, bone density, systemic factors, hygiene… Lasers are nothing new, but they are still trying to make a push as far as being on the frontline of latest technologies. I wouldn’t agree with the comment about composite restorations replacing amalgam. Composites have their pros and cons. Longevity? your better off with an amalgam. Peoples teeth are not getting better. Its interesting half my patient have excellant oral hygiene and 1 or 2 restorations. While the other half has 15 + restorations w/crowns and RCT’s. It all comes down to nutrition selection and oral hygiene.

Yes you may get the person with system factors contributing to rampant decay but that is the rare exception… The norm is… peoples diet is shit. Their lack of motivation to have a healthy mouth is nil. People drink more juice, sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks over water. And they wonder why they need 3 or 4 surface restorations and max out their insurance every yrs!! Just today I had a 30 somethn mom in the chair with 8 caries!! She had her giant diet coke in her hands @ all times. And she wondered why she needed 1 RCT, a crown and 7 restorations… idiots!!

Vicomte wrote:
Dear Prof. X,

Thanks,
V

Crazy Gary in 10th grade homeroom usually has the stash of roofies…and crack. I personally don’t think crack is conducive healthy teeth so you may want to steer clear of it.[/quote]

There is an interesting question- Does crack and meth really destroy teeth actively or does constant grinding and poor hygiene do the trick?

[quote]orion wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Dear Prof. X,

Thanks,
V

Crazy Gary in 10th grade homeroom usually has the stash of roofies…and crack. I personally don’t think crack is conducive healthy teeth so you may want to steer clear of it.

There is an interesting question- Does crack and meth really destroy teeth actively or does constant grinding and poor hygiene do the trick?

[/quote]

You know, I was wondering the same thing, but felt awkward segueing a joke into a serious query.