Future Music

I really like the Artic Monkeys too but Mika is one of the most annoying sounds I have ever heard IMO.

The Blizzards from Ireland have a great talent also.

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
For those of you who in the states who might not know these guys; UK Rock mainly,

Artic Monkeys
The Kooks
Hot Chip (electro funk/rock)
Klaxons

there’s a european guy, interesting mix of stuff called Mika…

Other than that, Totally agree with the whole John Legend thing. I’m seeing him in concert in July. Can’t wait…

[/quote]

[quote]Ren wrote:
wolfmother rocks, plain and simple.
[/quote]

I am really on board with Wolfmother and they really have a sound that both hearkens back to Zeppelin or Sabbath, but is not a slave to that period. It’s not some watered-down version of something that came before - they stand on their own awesome.

I also tend to think a lot of music out there is a bit blah to me, although I really do like The Killers because they are both unique, but melodic/tuneful. They are waaaay too many bands that are one or the other, but I need both, especially these days.

I’m also finding myself turning to music I either ignored or missed out on previously and it’s like it’s brand new all over again. Two examples (that are incredibly different) are Cream and Pantera. Weird combo I know, but when you are truly listening to them for the first time, it’s like a brand new band.

Finally, I will throw in a vote for what I have heard (so far) of Joss Stone.

If you like chick rock singers such as evanecense, check out Lacuna Coil and to a lesser extent Flyleaf.

As a huge fan of arena rock I just have to say thank god for The Darkness!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
and people can make fun of Justin Timberlake all they want to…but the guy can sing.

Probably one of the most soulful young voices to be heard in a very long time–not just that, he’s an actual talented musician too.[/quote]

Does any one that he patterns himself a little too much like Michael Jackson? Not in his appearance, but his voice style and dance.

[quote]Bulkington wrote:
“Goodbye METALLICA hello MASTODON” - ROCK SOUND

Mastodon is one of the only metal bands I can think of that has done something different in the scene today-themed albums. Plus, they put on the best live show I have ever been to. [/quote]

Excellent band but only time will tell if they can leave the legacy Metallica will leave.

Which brings me to my next point, speaking of the future of the metal genre, guys like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth will still be around for a good many years yet. Theyve probably done all the ‘influencing’ theyre gonna do but theyre (mostly) still pumping out excellent new stuff so lets not write them off just yet!!

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Professor X wrote:
and people can make fun of Justin Timberlake all they want to…but the guy can sing.

Probably one of the most soulful young voices to be heard in a very long time–not just that, he’s an actual talented musician too.[/quote]

He would get a lot less shit if he hadn’t started out with N’Sync, but he is the next Usher.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
You should check out a band called Seether. They’ve had a couple hits on the radio, but they’ve got some other very good songs as well. One of my favorite songs by them is “The Gift” check that one out. [/quote]

Agree. “Remedy” is an excellent tune.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
and people can make fun of Justin Timberlake all they want to…but the guy can sing.[/quote]

Thank you.

All of my friends make fun of me, but damn, he’s pretty fucking good.

-Nate

Very cool. Especially Papa Roach

“workin jobs that you hate for that shit you don’t need.”…thats philosophy.

[quote]Modi wrote:
X,
Here are some modern bands that I think have some talent and staying power, that are similar in style to Linkin Park/Saliva/Breaking Benjamin.

Papa Roach
3 Doors Down
Staind
Taproot
Evanescence

I lean towards music heavier than this, but that’s just me. If you haven’t heard the girl from Evanescence sing, you are missing something. She’s got pipes.[/quote]

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Mudvayne has been my favorite since they released their last cd.[/quote]

You given HELLYEAH a listen? Mudvayne’s singer and guitarist, Nothingface’s guitarist and bassist, and the great Vinnie Paul on drums…fuckin badass

Prof, if you’re so inclined, check this gal out. From this link, select the third video on the left. Its a raw take, but I think highlights the soulfulness of her voice.

http://www.myspace.com/amywinehouse

Although now new the Bloc Party’s album “Silent Alarm” is very good.

As far as new type of music, Gym class heroes are doing something thats really different than a lot of other artists. They mix indie rock and hip hop well.

And I agree that Timbaland is at the top of his game right now (though he has always been), his new album is filled with songs that mix different sounds very well together.

And Lil Wayne… even though he raps about the same things, his delivery is just crazy.

[quote]Nate Green wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Thank you.

All of my friends make fun of me, but damn, he’s pretty fucking good.

-Nate[/quote]

I have to agree with this. I haven’t bought any of his music, but the songs of his that receive airplay or video rotation that I happen to catch I like.

D

Prof, check out OneBeLo (formerly one man army) on Myspace and then buy some of his stuff. he’s an excellent intelligent emcee, like a throwback to the true school. Influenced by Poor Righteous Teachers and wu tang et al.

[quote]stumpy wrote:
If you like chick rock singers such as evanecense, check out Lacuna Coil and to a lesser extent Flyleaf.[/quote]

I actually don’t like chick rock singers as a rule, but I absolutely agree that Lacuna Coil is very talented as well.

I like Flyleaf a lot because of their intensity, although I do think they are a bit less talented. I think those are the only 3 recent female bands that I like. Nothing against the girls, I just prefer a harder sound, and raspy vocals (like they just smoked a pack).

I should also have added Hoobastank to my previous list. Born to Lead and Out of Control are both good songs.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Does any one that he patterns himself a little too much like Michael Jackson? Not in his appearance, but his voice style and dance.[/quote]

Yeah, a little perhaps. Originality is a very scarce thing in music.

For example:

Justin Timberlake copied Michael Jackson who was copying James Brown who was copying Louie Jordan who was copying Jelly Roll Morton and other early swing jazz musicians of the day, etc.

In my opinion the real innovators are the ones who can define a style thru original use of melody, rhythm, and harmony.

Pop music hasn’t changed much in this regard since early jazz. To me if you want originality you must seek out folk music–the people’s music. I am talking more than just American folk and bluegrass. Look at gypsy music and flamenco, for example. It doesn’t get much more original than that.

The circle of life is attributed to plagiarism…

I listen to mainly house, techno electronica, this genre is easily the most underappreciated in my opinion. It’s almost amazing how much good electronica there is, its not just a few artists, there are probably 10-20 excellent artists and several very good ones.

The reason I like this genre so much is because I was always much more into the beat and instrumentals than lyrics, and the intrumentals have to be just that much better if its all there is. Great stuff.

If you want to check out some great artists look into, Sasha, John Digweed, Carl Cox, Paul Van Dyk, Tiesto, Dave Seaman just to name a few.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
He would get a lot less shit if he hadn’t started out with N’Sync… [/quote]

Shit, a gig’s a gig. Sometimes we have to play with “no-talent ass clowns” until we have enough credibility to make it on our “own”.