Future Liberal Gun Owner

I am a Liberal who happens to be all for gun ownership for sane, law abiding citizens who are not convicted felons.

I have not purchased any firearms yet because I have moved alot in the last few years. I have some questions regarding gun ownership specifically in New York state.

I will be here for two more years, is it worth getting a handgun permit if I will be leaving the state after that time. What is involved in moving?

Also the basics of applying for a firearm in NYS.

I have been told its not a good idea to put down home defense on the app. as a reason for owning the gun. I have nothing to hide I just would like to know the best way to get my intentions accross on the application.

Also I want to take a gun saftey class and am curious to the price of a class like this. As well as the prices of classes that teach private citizens self defense with a firearm and how common they are.

Thanks

PM sent.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
I am a Liberal who happens to be all for gun ownership for sane, law abiding citizens who are not convicted felons.

I have not purchased any firearms yet because I have moved alot in the last few years. I have some questions regarding gun ownership specifically in New York state.

I will be here for two more years, is it worth getting a handgun permit if I will be leaving the state after that time. What is involved in moving?

Also the basics of applying for a firearm in NYS.

I have been told its not a good idea to put down home defense on the app. as a reason for owning the gun. I have nothing to hide I just would like to know the best way to get my intentions accross on the application.

Also I want to take a gun saftey class and am curious to the price of a class like this. As well as the prices of classes that teach private citizens self defense with a firearm and how common they are.

Thanks[/quote]

No clue about the NY stuff… but…

I’ve been shooting since I was 4 and got a shotgun for my 7th birthday. Gun ownership and hunting has definitely fun and rewarding.

Gun safety classes are easy to find. The #1 rule is to ALWAYS treat the gun as if it is loaded. ALYAYS! Never have it pointing at anything you could not tolerate receiving some instant ventilation. This one rule can avert most any accident.

I know some gun clubs have indoor or outdoor shooting ranges and set up various scenarios. However, I’m not sure about finding a home defense “course”. Gun club members are typically people who have been shooting for years but I’m sure they would be happy to help you. Just check around at a local gun shop for a gun club.

[quote]Bad John wrote:
PM sent.[/quote]

Thank you.