Future FFB Club

I like that this is the “Future FFB Club” because “support group” sounds so Oprah. Right now I am 5’8" 247. I actually really enjoy working out; my problem is that I like to eat/hate to diet. So, I’ve decided to give CW’s “Get Lean Without Diet” plan a try. The funny thing is that I think the intensity of the program leaves me so tired that it suppresses my appetite, so that I am dieting even though I don’t really have to, according to the program.

Count me in. Always been a FB, although in 2000 I got down to a ridiculous skinnyfat 155 lbs. I honestly look better at 210 with some muscle.

I’m not very strong, mainly because my entire training history (I never picked up a weight before 2003) has been done on hypocaloric diets. I used to be up around 230 with zero muscle whatsoever, so I’ve already made some pretty big improvements.

I have a goal (with incentives/disincentives to be enforced by my girlfriend) set for June 28th, when I come home from my year I’m spending in Germany. I haven’t ever really maxed out, so I’ll give my lifts in terms of numbers of reps.

Current numbers:

H/W = 5’9" 210 lbs.
Bodyfat = ?
BP = 130/80
Resting heart rate = 80 BPM
Bench = 170 x 3
Squat = 225 x 4
Deadlift = 265 x 3

Goals (all have to be met by June 28th)

H/W = 5’9" 190 lbs
Bodyfat = < 20%
BP = < 120/70
BPM = < 65
Bench 1RM + Squat 1RM + Deadlift 1RM = 800

I think those are all reasonable goals, and maybe I will exceed some of them. Here is the diet/training:

per day = < 2200 kcal
= < 100 g carbs
= > 180 g protein

I do very well on low carb diets and can handle dietary fat like a champ, especially in the evenings. Typical day’s meals:

Breakfast:

4 eggs (egg whites not sold in normal stores here in Germany)
1 cup oatmeal + 1 scoop protein powder
Fish Oil caps + Multi

Snack:

150g plain lowfat yogurt + 3/4 scoop protein power + handful of walnuts mixed in
1 apple

Lunch:

Salmon/Chicken cooked stove top in olive oil + Broccoli

Snack 2:

200g cottage cheese or sliced chicken
2 scoop protein shake

Dinner: Salmon/Chicken cooked stove top in olive oil + Broccoli/Spinach

On workout days my post-workout routine is:

300g grape juice
2 scoop protein shake made with skim milk

This will last until the end of February, when I may switch to the Anabolic Diet.

As far as training, I’m using WSSB :open_mouth: Don’t worry, I can handle a lot of volume. So it works out something like this:

S: HIIT cardio (20 minutes)
M: Max Effort Upper Body + Uphill walking (15 minutes)
T: Slow steady cardio (30-40 minutes)
W: Lower Body
T: OFF
F: Repetition Upper Body + Uphill walking (15 minutes)
S: Slow steady cardio (30-40 minutes)

I’m currently 26, 6’1, 270, right around 23% bodyfat.

I tore my PCL in my left leg at the end of September, but I rehabbed, bounced back, and I got back to my previous best Trap Bar Deadlift of 385, without a belt and chalk (only because I didn’t have access to them, otherwise I would have used them).

Right now training consists of 4 days of lifting, and is a hybrid of Joel Marions Westside Bench Press program and Joe DeFranco’s WS4SB II. For Cardio, I do 3-4 HIIT sessions per week on the elliptical machine, which kicks my ass. I’m also starting to incorporate low intensity cardio each day for 30 minutes, usually first thing upon rising, after I take my Max Strength HOT-ROX
(hey, I have to wait an hour to eat anyway, why not make use of the time).

I have access to strongman stuff, so I’m just starting to play around with it again, such as the log press, atlas stone, farmers walks, etc.

My dietary approach is similar to carb cycling. Although some feel that the cyclical approach is best reserved for those that are a bit leaner than myself, it suits me well in that on my lower calorie/lower carb days, I’m only doing cardio or resting, and on day where I am ingesting more calories and carbohydrates, I’m hitting the weights hard.

I’m not interested in hitting a goal scale weight, but I am interested in holding onto LBM, possibly gaining a few pounds of it, while shedding the fat off slowly. I figure at this rate, I’ll fall within the 10-12% range by the end of summer time, and for me, that is plenty lean. I can then concentrate on my primary goals, hypertrophy and strength while minimizing fat gain and keeping my cardiovascular conditioning up.

Good luck to all you guys in attaing FFB status.
-Greg

I am starting out stronger than expected. The last few months have been less than stellar but, I am back in the gym doing a Westside routine, Out of shape, out of work, out of time. I drag the sled first then go on to do 2 exercises and I am done. Then I go back at night and do it again. Same 4 day a week split as WS. So far not so bad.
DE bench was good yesterday and ME Squat today. I got 475 on the cambered bar for a single. Having not lifted very heavy in a while this was nice. Another positive I closed the #3 on Saturday from old rules. I have done this be for but they changed the rules so I never got certified. Then I just over trained and could not get it with the credit card set, plus I have short fingers.

Most importantly the diet. It is going very well. Following JB’s stuff to get his 3 rules, Health, Body comp, and lasting habits.

Patrick

I lost 6lbs last week and feel better except for my shoulder. Besides doing some rotary cuff exercises is there anything I can do to make my shoulder feel better.