32kg: 1
36kg: 1
40kg: 1

Ring Pull-Ups
BW: 5x5

Heavy Bag
10x 1min on, 1min off

Bodyweight: 95.9kg

Good session today, the heavy get-ups felt solid. No knee pain although my glutes felt quite tight.

Week 24 - Summary

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

Training: 4 S&S sessions, 1 misc

Nutrition: Good

This was a good week in many ways, although it was pretty discouraging to find out that I (probably) have high blood pressure. Having said that it could be a blessing in disguise as it has really galvanised me to get leaner and fitter. I am excited to get back into kettlebell training and I’m already feeling the effects in my lower/mid traps and hamstrings.

Plan
Going forward I intend to run Simple and Sinister for the foreseeable future. I have previously followed this routine for a prolonged period and made huge gains in “functional strength” but lost upper body size. Last time I had three issues - a stiff neck, tight glutes and occasional knee pain during the get-ups. I think the neck stiffness stemmed from incorrect swing technique (not packing the shoulder properly) and the glute tightness was because I neglected the prescribed warm-up and stretches. For the knee pain I’m going to ensure that I always wear my knee sleeves and make an effort to keep my lead foot in front of the knee. I’m going to start each session with a row and finish it with something extra (usually either pull-ups or more conditioning). Bodyweight wise I will continue dropping down to around the 90kg mark. I’m not sure exactly where I want to end up, but I think it would be a good challenge to drop into the high 80s, at least temporarily before settling in the low 90s.

Week 25: Hike

Hike
3 hours 15 minutes - 8.3km, 610m elevation gain - heavy rain.

I was camping with friends over the weekend and we went on a fairly strenuous hike on the Saturday.

Week 25: Simple and Sinister

Single Handed Kettlebell Swings
20kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
20kg: 5x1
EMOM

I felt pretty beat up after the camping so when I got home just did a light S&S session. EMOM get-ups are tough, really worked up a sweat!

Single Handed Swings
24kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
24kg: 1
28kg: 1
36kg: 1

Heavy Bag
5x 1min on, 1min off

Row
1km in 3min 49sec

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

Initially the swings felt surprisingly heavy but I soon got into a rhythm. I think 32kg is a good weight for get-ups just now - if I go heavier it gets quite sloppy.

Row
1km in 3min 42sec

Single Handed Swing
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
40kg: 5x1

Ring Pull-Ups
BW: 5x5

Bodyweight: 96.1kg

Good get-ups! I bought a home blood pressure monitor and it looks like that was all a false alarm, which is awesome. 117/68mmHg today, with a heart rate of 58bpm. Similar result yesterday. That’s a huge relief.

Single Handed Swings
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups

Two Handed Swings
48kg: 2x20

Bodyweight: 96.0kg

I felt very tired today for some reason. The kettlebell stuff moved well with the exception of my first attempt at a left handed 40kg get-up, which I had to abort. The second attempt was strong though. The rowing machine was being used, so I didn’t row.

Week 25: Stuff

Single Handed Swings
48kg: 5x5

Conditioning Circuit
40min

Run
3km in 21min 21sec

Bodyweight: 95.7kg

I was very happy that I managed single handed swings with 48kg, which I’ve never done before. I also did a 48kg get-up with my right hand, but didn’t attempt my left for fear of cracking my head like an egg. The conditioning circuit was very tough, but then I ate way too much so did a late night run to compensate.

Week 25 - Summary

Bodyweight: 96.0kg

Training: 5x S&S, 1 hike

Nutrition: Fairly good

This has been a pretty good week. I’m especially happy with the heavy kettlebell stuff on Thursday. My bodyweight is continuing to drop, very slowly but steadily.

Week 26: Simple and Sinister

Row
1km in 3min 39sec

Single Handed Swings
24kg: 5x10 (EMOM)
48kg: 10

Turkish Get-Ups
40kg: 5x1

Bodyweight: 96.4kg

I was out all day yesterday and ate a lot, so I’m on a 24 hour fast just now (7pm-7pm) and it’s going reasonably well. I felt a bit sluggish at the gym but got through everything ok. That’s the first time I’ve ever managed 10 reps of single handed swings with a 48kg kettlebell. They are tough on everything, but my grip seems to be the weakest link in the chain.