32kg: 1
36kg: 1
40kg: 1

Ring Pull-Ups
BW: 5x5

Heavy Bag
10x 1min on, 1min off

Bodyweight: 95.9kg

Good session today, the heavy get-ups felt solid. No knee pain although my glutes felt quite tight.

Week 24 - Summary

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

Training: 4 S&S sessions, 1 misc

Nutrition: Good

This was a good week in many ways, although it was pretty discouraging to find out that I (probably) have high blood pressure. Having said that it could be a blessing in disguise as it has really galvanised me to get leaner and fitter. I am excited to get back into kettlebell training and I’m already feeling the effects in my lower/mid traps and hamstrings.

Plan
Going forward I intend to run Simple and Sinister for the foreseeable future. I have previously followed this routine for a prolonged period and made huge gains in “functional strength” but lost upper body size. Last time I had three issues - a stiff neck, tight glutes and occasional knee pain during the get-ups. I think the neck stiffness stemmed from incorrect swing technique (not packing the shoulder properly) and the glute tightness was because I neglected the prescribed warm-up and stretches. For the knee pain I’m going to ensure that I always wear my knee sleeves and make an effort to keep my lead foot in front of the knee. I’m going to start each session with a row and finish it with something extra (usually either pull-ups or more conditioning). Bodyweight wise I will continue dropping down to around the 90kg mark. I’m not sure exactly where I want to end up, but I think it would be a good challenge to drop into the high 80s, at least temporarily before settling in the low 90s.

1 Like

Week 25: Hike

Hike
3 hours 15 minutes - 8.3km, 610m elevation gain - heavy rain.

I was camping with friends over the weekend and we went on a fairly strenuous hike on the Saturday.

Week 25: Simple and Sinister

Single Handed Kettlebell Swings
20kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
20kg: 5x1
EMOM

I felt pretty beat up after the camping so when I got home just did a light S&S session. EMOM get-ups are tough, really worked up a sweat!

Single Handed Swings
24kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
24kg: 1
28kg: 1
36kg: 1

Heavy Bag
5x 1min on, 1min off

Row
1km in 3min 49sec

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

Initially the swings felt surprisingly heavy but I soon got into a rhythm. I think 32kg is a good weight for get-ups just now - if I go heavier it gets quite sloppy.

Row
1km in 3min 42sec

Single Handed Swing
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
40kg: 5x1

Ring Pull-Ups
BW: 5x5

Bodyweight: 96.1kg

Good get-ups! I bought a home blood pressure monitor and it looks like that was all a false alarm, which is awesome. 117/68mmHg today, with a heart rate of 58bpm. Similar result yesterday. That’s a huge relief.

1 Like

Single Handed Swings
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups

Two Handed Swings
48kg: 2x20

Bodyweight: 96.0kg

I felt very tired today for some reason. The kettlebell stuff moved well with the exception of my first attempt at a left handed 40kg get-up, which I had to abort. The second attempt was strong though. The rowing machine was being used, so I didn’t row.

Week 25: Stuff

Single Handed Swings
48kg: 5x5

Conditioning Circuit
40min

Run
3km in 21min 21sec

Bodyweight: 95.7kg

I was very happy that I managed single handed swings with 48kg, which I’ve never done before. I also did a 48kg get-up with my right hand, but didn’t attempt my left for fear of cracking my head like an egg. The conditioning circuit was very tough, but then I ate way too much so did a late night run to compensate.

1 Like

Week 25 - Summary

Bodyweight: 96.0kg

Training: 5x S&S, 1 hike

Nutrition: Fairly good

This has been a pretty good week. I’m especially happy with the heavy kettlebell stuff on Thursday. My bodyweight is continuing to drop, very slowly but steadily.

Week 26: Simple and Sinister

Row
1km in 3min 39sec

Single Handed Swings
24kg: 5x10 (EMOM)
48kg: 10

Turkish Get-Ups

Bodyweight: 96.4kg

I was out all day yesterday and ate a lot, so I’m on a 24 hour fast just now (7pm-7pm) and it’s going reasonably well. I felt a bit sluggish at the gym but got through everything ok. That’s the first time I’ve ever managed 10 reps of single handed swings with a 48kg kettlebell. They are tough on everything, but my grip seems to be the weakest link in the chain.

Single Handed Swings
28kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
28kg: 5x1
EMOM

Bodyweight: 97.0kg

I felt pretty sluggish today, and that bodyweight isn’t great. I trained at home and used 28kg for all sets of swings for the first time.

Row
1km in 3min 42sec

Single Handed Swings
32kg: 5x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
32kg: 5x1

Pull-Ups
BW: 2x10

Bodyweight: 97.3kg (!)

I felt pretty weak going into this session, but that’s the first time I’ve managed all swings with 32kg within 5 minutes. If I did the get-ups within 10 minutes (not sure, didn’t time it) then I’ve reached the “simple” goal. I’ll have to time it properly next session.

1 Like

Single Handed Swings
4min 5sec

Turkish Get-Ups
4min 11sec

Row
1km
3min 44sec

Bodyweight: 96.7kg

Great session today - I timed the kettlebell stuff and pretty handily achieved the “simple” goal (all swings within 5 minutes and all get-ups within 10 minutes). My real goal however is to do this with the 48kg kettlebell (“sinister”). My approach of training the get-ups heavy but with long rest periods seems to be effective - I wondered if I would struggle with conditioning.

1 Like

Row
1km in 3min 47sec

Single Handed Swings
48kg: 5x5
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups
EMOM

Very hot today. I’m pleased with the 48kg swings.

2 Likes

Week 26: Run

Run
3km in 22min 43sec

Bodyweight: 96.3kg

Just an easy run to keep things ticking over.

Week 26: Summary

Training: 5x S&S, 1x run

Nutrition: Mediocre

My bodyweight jumped up at the start of the week and has slowly dropped back down. I’m not really sure why. Very happy with how the kettlebell stuff is going.

When that happens the first thing I look at is whether I ate a bunch more salt at any point.

Week 27: Simple and Sinister

Row
1km in ?

Single Handed Swings
24kg: 10
32kg: 10
40kg: 10
32kg: 10
24kg: 10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups

Fairly good session today. I wasn’t paying attention to the timer on the rowing machine so I’m not sure of the exact time, but it was definitely under 3:50. The swings felt good, but the get-ups were a little shaky.

@MarkKO - Ah I didn’t think of that, that’s probably what has happened. Thanks!

1 Like

Row
1km in 3min 31sec

Single Handed Swings
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups

Ring Pull-Ups
BW: 3x5

I strained my right mid-trap yesterday, and it has been really bugging me since. It felt ok during the row and kettlebell stuff but the pull-ups were very uncomfortable. Just needs a bit of time.

Row
1km in 3min 43sec

Single Handed Swings
40kg: 3x10
EMOM

Turkish Get-Ups

This was rough. I’ve been on nightshifts and felt weak going into this session, but went for EMOM 40kg swings. Unfortunately I couldn’t sustain it and only managed 3 sets. I took my time with the get-ups and will rest up for the rest of the day. My neck/trap is still very uncomfortable and my hips are beat up.

1 Like