Furo's Kettlebell Log

[quote]csulli wrote:
Dang I wish I were 95kg lol. Then I could cut down some bodyfat and still be at 200lbs. I have a phobia of weighing less than 200lbs.[/quote]

Haha! I’m the exact same - I have a cut-off in my head at 93kg (205lb) and I’m terrified about going below it.

I’m weird about weight - I weighed 100-102kg for the past 2 years and was really scared about losing weight because I’d put so much effort into gaining it. Now I’ve dropped 5kg of fat and my mindset has changed a bit, but it still scares me!

Also I am 6’2" so it is a lot easier and less impressive for me to weigh 95kg!

WEEK 3
DAY 5: Pistol Squat Day

PISTOL SQUAT
BW: 25x1

KETTLEBELL SWING
28kg: 50

Bodyweight: 95.1kg

Due to a membership cock-up I can’t go back to the gym until the 16th. For the next 5 days I’m going to hammer pistol squats with both high volume and high frequency (hoping to grease the groove and get really efficient at the movement), and hopefully that will have a carry-over to my lunges. I’ll also do swings, weighted push-ups and chin-ups as and when I feel like it.

WEEK 3
DAY 6: Pistol Squat Day

PISTOL SQUAT
BW: 32x1

REVERSE LUNGE
BW: 20-20

Bodyweight: 94.6kg

The last few reps of pistol squats were a real struggle despite taking long rests. I will continue to add reps each day and hopefully force my body to adapt.

WEEK 3
DAY 7: Chin-Up Day

PISTOL SQUAT
BW: 3x1

CHIN-UP
BW: 8-8-8

NEUTRAL GRIP PULL-UP
BW: 5-5-5

Bodyweight: 94.9kg

I was planning on doing pistol squats throughout the day again, but I was just way too weak on them. My technique was really sloppy, and I didn’t want to practice them with poor form. I’ll let my legs rest today and try again tomorrow.

EVENING

Glute Bridge: 12-10-8
Lying Leg Raise: 12-10-8
Straight Leg Hip Crossover: 12-10-8
Rollover to V-Sit: 12-10-8
Bird Dog: 12-10-8
Fire Hydrants: 12-10-8
Scorpions: 12-10-8
Mountain Climbers: 12-10-8
Groiners: 12-10-8

Done as 3 circuits.

Lots of leg swings.

For some reason in the evening my lower back suddenly spasmed violently and I had loads of pain in my hips so I did this lower body circuit that I got from youtube called “Modified DeFranco Warmup”. Then I had an ice bath.

WEEK 4
DAY 1: ?

PISTOL SQUAT
BW: 6x1

SHRIMP SQUAT (INTERMEDIATE)
BW: 4x1
BW (On The Minute): 15x1

WEIGHTED PRESS-UP
30kg: 12-15-18 (Without handles)

Bodyweight: 95.0kg

As soon as I started the pistol squats my back pain flared up again. I can’t believe that I’m so fragile that pistol squats give me agonising pain - this is pissing me off so much. Any suggestions on what to try/where to go from here would be greatly appreciated if anyone is reading.

I’ve found a possible alternative exercise to the pistol squat in the shrimp squat, which I found on Ido Portal’s youtube page. I can only do the intermediate variation - they are deceptively difficult.

EVENING

Swam 25 lengths

I have been thinking more about how to train my quads using home equipment without hurting my lower back. I have been doing more experimenting and tried a pistol squat to a low chair (15"). The low chair prevented me from going to full depth and consequently my lower back didn’t round and my pain wasn’t exacerbated. This still felt like an awesome exercise, and was still below parallel.

I also experimented with the shrimp squat (as discussed above). I’m not sold on the exercise: it felt more challenging than the pistol, but more from a balance point of view, and I don’t like the fact that the knee isn’t put through a full range of motion.

I think I need to invest in some new home equipment. I need blocks to use as push-up handles (up until now I’ve been borrowing a friends handles), I want to make/buy a low and sturdy box to pistol squat to and I’d like some sort of dip station. I need to add more tricep work and dips are my go to tricep exercise.

WEEK 4
DAY 2: Pistol Box Squat Day

PISTOL BOX SQUAT (15")
BW: 25x1 (On the minute)

KETTLEBELL SWING
10kg: 150

Bodyweight: 95.2kg

I did the swings with only 10kg today, more as active recovery than conditioning or for strength as my lower back is still painful. The pistol squats to a 15" box seemed to work well. I was really focussing on technique rather than pushing the sets/reps.

I’ve been thinking about my next set of goals for once I reach the goals outlined at the start of this log. I’m really bad for thinking too far ahead, and not of the task at hand. I think a nice progression from my current goals will be 20-rep 12" pistol box squat, 20-rep incline 30kg weighted push-up and 20-rep neutral grip pull-ups. But first things first.

WEEK 4
DAY 3: Lunge and Chin-Up Day

REVERSE BARBELL LUNGE
95kg: 12-10-8

CHIN-UP
BW: 8-8-8-6-6

MACHINE ROW
45kg: 15-15-15-15-15

Bodyweight: 95.7kg

Finally back in the gym! Happy with this workout, though it took much longer than it should have.

WEEK 4
DAY 4: Bench Day

BENCH PRESS
120kg: 2
100kg: 8
90kg: 8
80kg: 13

INCLINE DUMBBELL PRESS
24kg: 12-10-10

DIP

TRICEP EXTENSION
27kg: 10-10-dropset

Bodyweight: 94.7kg

Happy with the bench press. Triceps are much weaker than they used to be before I started training at home. I think when I go back to training at home full time I’ll add in one-arm push-ups to rectify that.

Following.

I like your style of training with a short-term goal in mind. The simplicity of your work-outs are appealing, and I am also a fellow lower back victim.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Following.

I like your style of training with a short-term goal in mind. The simplicity of your work-outs are appealing, and I am also a fellow lower back victim.

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]

Great to have you aboard :slight_smile:

WEEK 4
DAY 5: Lunge and Chin-Up Day

REVERSE BARBELL LUNGE
Long warm-up
100kg: 1
130kg: 1
140kg: F

CHIN-UP
+18kg: 5-5
BW: 7-6

PISTOL SQUAT
10kg: 3-2-1

Bodyweight: 94.4kg

My lunge 1rm is now equal to my all-time back squat 1rm. Bizarre. I’m happy with this brief workout, though I didn’t feel good beforehand. Managed multiple reps on the pistol squat for the first time but my form suffered. I’m also very happy with my bodyweight - I seem to be staying below 95kg despite increasing my calories.

WEEK 4
DAY 6: Pump Day

DUMBBELL FLY
12kg: 15-15-dropset

REAR DELT FLY
6kg: 15-15-15

DUMBBELL CURL
12kg: 15-15-dropset

LATERAL RAISE
6kg: 15-15-22 (rest pause)

TRICEP EXTENSION
23kg: 15-15-15

HIGH RESISTANCE CYCLE
5 Min

LEG CURL MACHINE
?: 30 (rest pause)

Bodyweight: 95.5kg

This was meant to be a rest day, but I wanted to be active. I thought an isolation-only pump day would be a fun way to work out for a change and wouldn’t impact recovery.

[quote]furo wrote:
This was meant to be a rest day, but I wanted to be active. I thought an isolation-only pump day would be a fun way to work out for a change and wouldn’t impact recovery.[/quote]

This may be a stupid question, but are you saying “pump days” have no effect on recovery? What are your protocols for “pump day”? Im thinking about adding a 3rd day in the gym, and a “pump day” may be what I need.

tweet

WEEK 4
DAY 7: Rest

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]furo wrote:
This was meant to be a rest day, but I wanted to be active. I thought an isolation-only pump day would be a fun way to work out for a change and wouldn’t impact recovery.[/quote]

This may be a stupid question, but are you saying “pump days” have no effect on recovery? What are your protocols for “pump day”? Im thinking about adding a 3rd day in the gym, and a “pump day” may be what I need.

tweet[/quote]

I thought that a pump day would have less of an effect on recovery than my usual heavier training. However, I still feel really tired today so I’m taking today as a proper rest day. I’m not sure I’d recommend a full-body pump day like that, it was just a weird thing I fancied trying and it didn’t really work to be honest haha. Sorry I can’t be more helpful with this!

WEEK 5
DAY 1: Lunge Assistance Day

PISTOL SQUAT
8kg: 3-3-3-1

BODYWEIGHT REVERSE LUNGE
BW: 20-20

KETTLEBELL SWING
8kg: 100

Bodyweight: ?

I did a lot of travelling today so just squeezed in a short makeshift lunge assistance day.

WEEK 5
DAY 2: Bench and Chin-Up Day

BENCH PRESS
100kg: 8-7-7
70kg: 15
50kg: 15

CHIN-UP
BW: 8-8-5

MACHINE ROW
52kg: 8-8-8

NEUTRAL GRIP CHIN-UP
BW: 4-4-4

I have no idea what happened in this workout, it was all quite dire. For some unknown reason I got a big pump and got really quickly fatigued. The higher rep bench press and chin-ups were particularly disappointing. It all made my goal seem quite unattainable, but I’m just being a misery guts.

WEEK 5
DAY 3: Lunge Day

BARBELL REVERSE LUNGE
Long warm-up
95kg: 15

PISTOL SQUAT
BW: 2-2-2

SWIM
30 lengths

This may look like a feeble workout, but I’m actually very happy with it. The lunge set was an absolute blood and guts struggle and I’m very happy in general with the progress I’ve made on both lunges and pistol squats.

I’m going away on holiday in 2 weeks and my goal is to get the 20-rep lunge nailed before then. I think the bench and chin-up goals will take a lot longer.

WEEK 5
DAY 4: Bench and Chin-Up Day

FLAT DUMBBELL BENCH
30kg: 18-16-14

DIP

CHIN-UP
BW: 8-8-5

NEUTRAL GRIP PULL-UP
BW: 5-5-5

INVERTED ROW
BW: 8-8-8-8

STATIONARY BIKE
20 Min

Bodyweight: 95.8kg

All the benches were taken, so used dumbbells instead today. Chin-up strength seems to be decreasing for some reason. Really quite pathetic today!

WEEK 5
DAY 5: Cardio

SWIM
1 hour