Furo's Comeback Log

T-Ransformation: Week 10 - Run

Run
1.4 miles
Time: n/a

Pistol Squats
BW: 5x1

This was just a short deload run but my knees felt pretty rough, I think maybe from squatting yesterday. I ran with my wife which was great, but she got calf cramp so we stopped for a bit. Due to my schedule for this week it’s going to be unrealistic to stick with my target of running 10k by the 24th - I think I’ll push that back to next week.

Nice job!

Glad that someone like MarkKO stopped in to give you advice. I was also thinking “Gosh, it came off the floor so easily…” before I saw how much you had to battle at lockout. Think some targeted work on your weak points will put you well into the 500’s (at least getting into the 225kg club, for you Euros).

2 Likes

They never are, great fight!!!

Rounded back deads are faster off the floor but harder to lock out which is fine (and honestly what is going to happen to 99% of all PR attempts) but if that is your weakness you train into it.

So my vote goes to the previously mentioned Pause belt less Deads just off the floor and maybe just below knee rack pulls.

And yea, some more sick progress coming!!

1 Like

Thank you very much man! I really surprised myself with how it came off the floor, but the lockout was more how I expected it to go lol.

Thanks a lot @Botslayer! And thanks for another vote for paused deadlifts - I will definitely start implementing them. What sort of percentage of your usual deadlift do you use and what sort of rep ranges? And does doing them beltless help even more? I really appreciate the encouragement and advice, thanks man!

2 Likes

Start low and slowly add weight.

3 rep sets seem to be the sweet spot for me. I start at ~20% 1RM every time and add 5-10% each set until it gets hard but I am still able to maintain the intent of the lift (solid brace and paused). I think the most I have worked up to is a few sets of 3 at ~60%.

The first few workouts these are going to be brutal.

I do think doing them belt less is more beneficial. Pause deads are an assistance lift so the amount of weight we move is irrelevant. The goal is to strengthen our weaknesses. A belt aids the weakness we are training with pause deads.

1 Like

T-Ransformation: Week 10 - Pump!

One-Arm Push-Ups
BW: 5x2
EMOM

Band Pull-Aparts
Blue: 10x25
EMOM

Band Front Raises
Blue: 10x15
EMOM

Band Curls
Blue: 10x25
EMOM

This was a fun low-impact upper body session. I got a bike last week and I think I’ll go for a cycle tomorrow, or maybe a run. Then on Thursday I plan to attempt the 405lb deadlift challenge.

Deadlifts
I’m beginning to lose a bit of interest in deadlifting now. My major goal was to come back from my injury stronger than before, and I’ve gone from a previous best of 170kg to 220kg, so I don’t think there’s any arguing that I’ve achieved that. 220kg has always been the big landmark for me, because it’s 5 plates per side. I’m going to push for 500lbs - it is so close that it would be a shame not to go for it - but I only ever use pounds on this site and it doesn’t have much meaning to me at all. After 500lbs nothing jumps out as an exciting goal. I’m very wary of how debilitating my previous lower back problems have been and I’d really kick myself if I messed myself up pushing deadlifts just through a sense of duty. And as the weights are getting heavier I’m definitely noticing a growing impact on my recovery. It would be very different if I had a big challenge to push myself for - I’ve toyed with the idea of trying powerlifting or strongman, but I’d be embarrassed to try powerlifting with my pathetic squat and I haven’t found any local strongman shows in Scotland. All in all it just feels like the cost to benefit ratio of deadlifts is beginning to tip against them.

But I’m getting ahead of myself a bit - I want to put in a good showing in the 405lb deadlift challenge and I do want to deadlift 220kg without straps and 227.5kg (500lbs) with or without them. And to do that I’m definitely going to start adding in paused deadlifts as per @BOTSLAYER and @MarkKO (thanks again for the help). But afterwards, I’m not sure what direction my training will take. I do fancy a bit of a change.

2 Likes

You could always go and do a push/pull meet…

2 Likes

…Continued

Bike Ride
5.5 miles
Time: 38:48

I felt pretty unfulfilled by the earlier session so went for my first bike ride in 9 years lol. Was good fun.

Yeah that is an option. I can’t find any meets on a quick google search but I’ll look further into that.

1 Like

I think you found your next goal?

and looking forward to that 500lbs Dead and what ever your next goal is!!!

1 Like

What kind of bike did you get?

tweet

T-Ransformation: Week 10 - Run/Bodyweight

Run
3.1 miles
Time: 35:59

Pistol Squats
BW: 5x1

One-Arm Push-Ups
BW: 10

Bodyweight: 97.1kg

I tried a new trail today and it was pretty hilly - it took me a long time to get into a rhythm. Things began to feel more natural around the 13 minute mark and I’m happy with the end result. I immediately followed the run with pistol squats and one-arm push-ups. The pistols felt a little tougher than usual, but the one-arm push-ups felt great. I was planning to do my usual low rep straight sets, but ended up just going for one big set. I got 10 reps pretty comfortably which is awesome, although I’m not sure how “correct” my one-arm push-up technique is. I think this would be a pretty ideal way to train for the apocalypse lol - 3 mile run and low volume, high intensity bodyweight stuff. Would also need something for the posterior chain/grip, maybe kettlebell swings or farmers walks. In any case, hopefully never comes to that lol.

@theBird it’s just a very basic mountain bike for using on trails. It won’t see much road use and it certainly won’t see any hardcore downhill stuff (or I’d end up having to do a new comeback lol).

@BOTSLAYER haha yeah I’ve kind of given up on that one. Squatting and I really don’t get on, although I would like to hit 140kg one day. I’m feeling a bit more excited about my deadlift again, it makes sense that while I’m making such good progress I should continue to push it. Thanks man!

3 Likes

You don’t have to quit cold-turkey.

You could just cut your DL frequency back to a maintenance level, like once a week or every other week, and try to maintain while pushing towards another goal (leanness, better squat, etc). For what it’s worth, a lot of top deadlifters note that they rarely approach their max in training, but that pulling in the 60-80% range every other week would probably keep you near your current 1RM as long as you did some other supportive work.

1 Like

Of course, and that is most likely what I will do. My motivation for deadlifting was so high because 1) I was starting from such a low level and 2) I had a clear and interesting goal. Those points no longer apply so I have lost some interest.

As you know my training style is very minimalist - these days it’s all based around deadlifts, running (again - low level and clear goal) and pistol squats (which I completely lost the ability to do). The rest of my training is made up of assistance I feel obligated to do (one-arm push-ups, upper back work, kettlebell swings) and big gym sessions with friends, which are more of a social thing.

Anyway, I’m going to continue doing what I’m doing for the next little while. I certainly have unfinished business with the deadlift in the short term (500lbs without straps and a good showing in the 405lb challenge). And I also have my running goal of managing a 10k. So that gives me plenty to work on for the next month or two. It’s just after that I’m a bit unsure what direction my training will take - it will all become quite a lot less focussed than it has been for the past 15 months. I do plan to try some lifting stones in the summer, but I don’t see my training really changing in preparation for that.

T-Ransformation: Week 10 - Deadlifts

Deadlifts
140kg: 3
160kg: 3
180kg: 5 - straps, belt on
200kg: 1 - straps off, mixed grip

Paused Deadlifts
110kg: 5x3 - belt off, double overhand
Paused below and above knee.

Hanging Leg Raise/Pistol Squat Superset
BW: 5x5/1

Rowing Machine
5min

Bodyweight: 97.2kg

Speaking of deadlifts! This was a really good session. The 180kg was my main set, but I wanted to try 200kg with a mixed grip just because I haven’t used a mixed grip in a long time now (it held up fine).

The paused deadlifts (as per @BOTSLAYER and @MarkKO) were brutal! I’m glad you guys suggested starting so light - this was with 50% of my max and it was tough. I already had a pretty good lower back pump from the 180kg set, but these were next level. I really think they’ll make a difference.

2 Likes

Yep, they suck. I remember shaking like a leaf last time I tried them.

3 Likes

T-Ransformation: Week 10 - Summary

Bodyweight: 97.2kg

Training: Great - 220kg deadlift, and I’m happy with that second run

Nutrition: Meh

This was a good week - the 220kg deadlift was fantastic, and the second deadlift session was pretty solid too. The two runs and the cycle were also good. No real change in bodyweight.

2 Likes

Really great stuff all around. Making progress on your general conditioning while getting stronger. Nice job!

1 Like

T-Ransformation: Week 11 - Run

Run
6.3 miles (10.1km)
Time: 1:14:54

Bodyweight: 97.0kg

Boom! Awesome awesome awesome day today! I’m now officially both the best I’ve ever been at running and the strongest I’ve ever been. I wasn’t even planning to run today but it was beautiful outside and I just got the urge to give this a crack. It obviously wasn’t fast, but I finished very strong and I really couldn’t be happier about it.

Plans
The last couple of months I’ve really been spending a lot of my time testing and grinding both with deadlifts and running, and I think this would be a really good time to change tack a bit and just work on getting stronger with good quality, less maximal work. I really enjoyed the last deadlift session I did - working up to 180kg for 5 and then doing lighter paused reps. 180kg is heavy enough to get me stronger and boost my fragile ego, without causing any real form breakdown. I’m also going to drop my running distances back down to around 3 miles and just keep slowly plugging away at that. I think that will work really well for me.

4 Likes

This!! You and I are on a similar page at the moment when it comes to lifting. Feel like you’ve been on the grind for a long time when it came to the deadlift so now it’s time to ring it in and start re-building strength and not feel like you are constantly testing. I read an earlier post of yours about losing the motivation to Deadlift after reaching your goal and don’t let that bother you. I did the exact same thing after pulling 550. You work so hard to hit a specific goal in your head that you want to let your mind kind of relax a bit and do different things when it comes to lifting / fitness. Great job on the running PR!!!

1 Like

Submax training is the way to go. Slower but lasts longer. Nice work, BTW. I’m not a runner. It’s not that I can’t, but unless I’m running after something I don’t want to.

2 Likes