Furo's Comeback Log

Yeah I remember that Dan John article - it’s basically what gave me the idea.

I’m fine with all of us just using the same weight. I think the question is, should we take on the challenge exactly as Dan John laid out (315 every 30 seconds for 30 minutes, basically with a capped “finish” at 60 reps in 30 minutes) or should we make it somehow heavier so it becomes a true “last man standing” challenge? IE if we used 365, could create a little more separation?

I would be down for basically anything like this. Since we’re all deadlift enthusiasts with similar strength, I think any permutation of that challenge works for me - let’s just settle on a weight & specific timing parameters. I’d also love to open it to more of the forum members - I know there’s a T-ransformation challenge going on that is physique based, but I wonder if we could have a semi-formalized Summer Deadlift Challenge as well for all forum members? We could try to make it scalable so it’s competitive - instead of just the biggest guy with the best 1RM, we could have something simple like a lightweight class (<165) that would use 315, middleweight class (165-220) that would use 365, and a heavyweight class (>220) that would use 405. All participants do 1 rep every 30 seconds for as long as they can go. Last man standing wins.

I just read this and am just overcome with emotions at this point!!! Haha!! I’m fine with sharing the Gold but I’ll certainly take the victory if I absolutely have to.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen it or not but this thread was pretty active a few months back.

I’m sure if you posted it in there some people would be interested in giving it a go. I obviously can’t take part but I find it great to watch.

I’m down for whatever and the suggestions listed below I can certainly be on board with. I have similar goals to @ActivitiesGuy as far as the 585 Deadlift and 400+ Back Squat are concerned but I’m hoping to hit these at some point in the year. The 400+ Back Squat I think I can hit very soon but the Deadlift will take some proper building. If we do another challenge, I may have to wait until June or July to participate or if you guys are ready for another one pretty soon, I can sit this one out and catch another one down the line.

I read this article a couple of months ago and thought I’d try it with 365lbs for doubles EMOM and got to 10min and was pretty damn exhausted lol. I think it would be a very good weight if we just do singles and get some specific training in. And yeah I really like the idea of last man standing - I think we should just keep going until we can’t do any more.

Yeah I’m down for this. I like our little group challenges because I feel we’re so like-minded and approach training in a similar way, but it would be cool to involve everyone.

I like the idea of scaling it - you could either do it by bodyweight or perhaps just people could decide if they want to enter the easier or harder category based on their level? But maybe no one would want to enter the easy category. I guess the problem with bodyweight is that you’d end up with someone like @T3hPwnisher using a lighter weight and being limited by having to stop for meals rather than the weight itself lol.

You earned it brother!

Hey now, this could be the beginning of a long title reign - don’t go saying you might sit it out! Think about what sort of legacy you’re going to leave!

Christ man don’t count yourself out at this point haha! You’re training and eating well, you’re 18 and your lifts are improving. You recently got 100kg x10 and that wasn’t to failure - 140kg is achievable within a matter of weeks for you (if not already), and barring injury 160kg is probably just a few months down the line. The great thing with EMOM challenges with a lighter weight is you can get your foot in the door and enjoy the process - who cares if you last 2 minutes and @ActivitiesGuy lasts 90 minutes? In my opinion the fun of these challenges is the camaraderie and the training focus.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a great point actually, thank you for the positive words.

1 Like

T-Ransformation: Week 8 - Deadlifts

Deadlifts
140kg: 1
160kg: 1 - straps, belt on
180kg: 1
200kg: 2, 1
180kg: 5

Bodyweight: 96.4kg

Kind of a weird session today. I went too soon after eating dinner and felt pretty nauseous the whole time. I felt a little out of the groove on my warm-up sets, but the top set felt better. My goal was 200kg x3, but I failed the third rep just above the knees. Really annoyingly I failed because I began falling backwards - I’m 100% certain I’d have locked it out otherwise. That’s never happened before. The 5 rep set with 180kg was very tough, but the reps felt very smooth.

Slightly disappointing, but that’s my first time getting 200kg for a double so I really can’t complain. I think it’s also my first time getting 180kg for 5, and it still hasn’t been a year since I was walking so I’m really happy with that.

1 Like

More than happy to take the silver! Especially considering how hideous I made that last press rep look.

Would be keen for another challenge based around the big 3.
Re emom deadlifts, if we were doing 150kg emom I think I’d be there for hours so either more weight or less rest would be ideal. Maybe something like a 5 rep max total? So a heavy set of 5 on squat, bench, and deads all in the same workout.

Ps, solid deadlift session!

How about more weight AND less rest?

A single every 30 seconds with 365 (or even 405), last man standing wins?

1 Like

How about something for the like of myself and @Yogi1 to take part in.

Something a little more lower back friendly?? :joy:

tweet

1 Like

@ActivitiesGuy @jblues85 @MaazerSmiit

I suppose instead of an EMOM challenge we could do as many reps as possible in 15 minutes with a set weight? Maybe 315lbs? That would even things out between us - no one will be wasting their time with a light weight for hours. And it would be an effective workout - you’d get a lot of quality volume done, regardless of your strength level.

This sounds good to me too!

@theBird good idea haha - what do you suggest?

Not sure.

Maybe a pull-up/push-up contest??

tweet

1 Like

That sounds like the worst thing ever.

Why would we do that to ourselves?

The winning number is going to be, like, 100!

1 Like

I think at this point the new challenge is going to be coming up with a new challenge!!

1 Like

Haha good point, it would be horrible.

Ok well my personal preference is for 405lbs EMOM last man standing. That’s heavy enough to be a worthwhile training stimulus for all of us and it’s a good rest period length. I think with going every 30 seconds there is a real risk of being severely limited by cardio - including set-up it effectively probably means only 10 seconds of true rest. Which would make it both less enjoyable and also less of a test of strength. If we make a decision on this I’d be more than happy to post up a challenge there in Bigger Stronger Leaner.

That’s a good idea - @jblues85 and I did a max total pull-ups in 15 minutes which was quite brutal.

Haha true!

T-Ransformation: Week 8 - Run

Run
3.1 miles
Time: 33:17

This was a really great run - it’s difficult to describe but I just felt much more athletic than on my other runs. My previous best distance was 2.7 miles and this had a lot more elevation change.

I think this roughly marks the point of being about back to baseline for running, and as such back to baseline for everything. The 24th of March is the anniversary of being cleared to walk again and I’d like to run 10k (6.2miles) before then. It’s a distance I’ve run before the injury, but horribly lol. So if I do that I’ll consider myself better than before my injury in every way, which is really cool.

1 Like

I agree with this. An EMOM single is a good rhythm to stay in for deadlifts. 405 ought to be sufficiently heavy that it becomes genuinely taxing after a little while. We can set a 30-minute time cap (to keep anyone from doing something stupid like staying at the gym for 90 minutes); perhaps anyone who reaches the 30th minute should finish there with an AMRAP set (which may only be 2 or 3 reps anyway by that point!) to give us a possible tiebreaker.

Certainly no obligation for others to participate, but I would gladly do this.

3 Likes

T-Ransformation: Week 8 - Bodyweight

Pistol Squats
BW: 20x1
EMOM

One-Arm Push-Ups
BW: 10x1
EMOM

Band Pull-Aparts
Blue: 10x25
EMOM

Band Curls
Blue: 10x25
EMOM

Bodyweight: 96.2kg

I really like this for a simple full body home workout. Everything felt pretty good, especially the bicep pump. My weight is dropping nicely this week - I’ve finally got some momentum behind my diet. I don’t want to talk about it too much and jinx it though haha.

Challenge
@ActivitiesGuy @jblues85 @MaazerSmiit
Are you guys all happy with the above challenge idea? 405lb deadlifts EMOM last man standing (maybe capped at 30 min)? What sort of time frame? 6 weeks is probably the minimum to effectively train for it as well as the maximum to maintain interest lol. I know you’ve got a little bundle of gain-killer on the way blues, but I figure as the reigning champ and the man with the highest max deadlift (I think) you should be favourite in this event. If you guys are down I can post up a challenge thread in BSL.

2 Likes

“Pencil” me in for this!! While I won’t be hitting the gym as often after the baby is born, my deadlifting frequency will remain the same at once a week. As it’s looking, we are still on schedule for March 20 for the baby to arrive even though the doctor told us last week to be prepared for anything. I believe with kettlebell work, deadlifting here and there and PRE-WORKOUT on that given day I can hang with you guys!

1 Like

T-Ransformation: Week 8 - Run

Run
3.6 miles
Time: 38:08

Bodyweight: 96.5kg

This was a new distance PR, which is awesome, although it felt a little slower. My calves got quite pumped up towards the end. I’m very happy with how my running is going. I’ve got some glute DOMS from yesterday’s pistol squats and interestingly also lat DOMS.