Funny things you see at the gym

Big Chief, I go to the Richmond location. Do you lift at that one or the other one in the south? I think I’m going to try out Pro Bodies when my membership runs out. I hear it’s a pretty good place, non-corporate, no BS. That’s what this city needs more of.

mamann, thanks for the input. Porkchop is an attorney, according to his profile, so I’m starting to understand his actions a little better.

1. Why do people come to the gym, (pay membership etc) and use nothing but cardio machines. Whats wrong with the great outdoors. Much better workout. (One such woman gets on the stepper and does these little tiny superfast knee lockouts while supportng all her weight on the rails effectively negating any effectiveness. How many kilojoules is that burning?)

2. Why do some women think that if they use any weight whatsoever they will get like Bev Francis in a matter of minutes? I cant tell them any different, what would I know? At best they use the same puny weights for months on end. What happened to progressive resistance.
    I can understand the fears but isn’t it a waste of money. They pay my wages & Uni fees I s’pose.

3. If I hear someone say “I want to get toned” one more time Ill shove some muscle relaxants up their arse. We work with special populations occasionally trying to reduce muscle tone.

Sorry about the rant. Ill try to bring something funny to the table next time.

Over n’ out :wink:

Sorry about the rant. Ill try to bring something funny to the table next time.

Yeahhh, you do that. Stop wasting our time. Grrrrrrr.

Alright, today at the gym, these three “frat boy” types were doing the T-Bar Row. One of the guys started actually doing it right when one of the others told him to stand up straighter and stop using his back so much.

This listing is a composite of personally observed actions and comments over a period of several years and gyms.

1. Groups of people who hang out just to talk and take up space and equipment (most likely to be found in a college gym).

2. People who will ask you questions in mid set. For example, “How do you get big?” while you are doing cleans or dead lifts. The only correct response is, “here, hold this while I think of an answer that you want to hear that will allow me to finish killing myself”. If they actually touch the bar or myself while lifting it becomes a potential Darwin Award.

3. While performing over-weight reps for the purpose of controlling on the negative, hearing a person (usually the 160 pound expert coaching his apprentice) that it is poor form and I must be on the “juice”. Then seeing the same person performing 1/8 leg presses or the like. Bonus aggravation points if they are performing the same exercise they were chastising you for.

4. Tough guys and gals. It is disheartening to be around people who feel the need to put the fear of god in all around them. Ive found it to be therapeutic to laugh out loud at them.

Just a few of mine that I thought I’d add. Nice list.

P.S. A quiet orifice is an appreciated orifice.

What pisses me off is when people do flat dumbbell presses on either the two adjustable benches, or on the bench press it self when the flat benches are free.

That or the guy that does seated hammer curls with an extreme accent on the base of the bench press. You have to see it to believe it…and no he won’t let you work in.

Alright, enough of you “meat heads” saying “frat boy” like it’s a derogatory term.

oh, frat boy is a derogatory term.

Here at sunny OU they come in herds to the gym. They crowd all three squat racks at the same time and proceed to do curls with nothing but the damn bar. What really kills me is the place has preloaded bars ranging from 30 to 130 lbs so the dumb fucks dont do that! And they never let you work in either… But at least im not the only one they do that to.

then you have the guy who weighs all of 120 lb, no kidding, doing hercules curls on the cables.

Then there are the 1/4 squat gurus who look at me like i am a freak when i go full…

then there are the guys who throw the wts down when they are done. I loudly laugh and shake my head, which has gotten me into a few standoffs in the middle of the gym… but then their frat buddy pulls them back telling me i dont want any…

then you get the guys doing db curls and it looks like they are running a martahon their arms are moving so fast.

And i love the sor-whores on the stairmasters that only move their toes too.

there is more, but i will stop here…

Wow, that is some funny stuff. Sometimes I think we should just have a separate “Stupid shit you see in the gym” forum.

While I can’t match Zev’s story about the “Rocky Kids,” I’ll throw in what I’ve seen lately.

A few weeks ago, I saw a guy doing lunges in the squat rack. This wouldn’t have made me laugh, except they were dumbell lunges, with 5 pound dumbells!

And yesterday, I seriously almost burst out laughing. You know those annoying morons who do “explosive” lat pulldowns that turn into rows? Picture that on an assisted chin-up machine. Yep.

Happy jackass watching, everyone!

DA MAN, stand-offs in the gym huh? Aren’t you quite the tough guy?

Oh derek… its happened all of twice, and both times the ‘face off’ consistd of the greek letter hat and shirt wearin dweeb standing up and walking over to me. that is when i take off my headphones and look at him. he asks what im laughing about and i say something like ‘how about not droppin the wts?’ or ‘seems like you are havin a little trouble with those db’s’. he proceeds to call me a few choice names, to which i grin, then a fellow greek letter hat and shirt wearing dweeb comes and ‘pulls him back’ saying i aint worth it. Maturity at its finest from the representatives of the greek system.

All these stories make me happy I have a power rack, adjustable bench, powerblocks, and olympic bar/weights at home and can avoid these ridiculous events. My heart goes out to you folks… The stupidest thing I see when I work out is when my dog presses her nose between the crack of the closed door and the floor to try to get in while I’m working out, all while sniffing furiously. She likes the smell of my sweat, I guess…

1. This one dumbass was doing incline bench press, and he arched his back so much that his feet slipped out from under him and the bar came crashing down on his chest.

2. These two dickhead frat boys were doing smith machine squats, and one couldn’t stand the weight back up. So he goes to lock in the bar, but the hooks don’t latch, so when he tries to step out the bar falls and throws him to the ground. Of course he didn’t have the safety stops in place either.

3. The classic “put a 45 on one side of the bar and forget to put any weight on the other side.” Why does this seem to happen a lot?