Funny Nutrition E-mail from Gold's

So I signed up at Gold’s a while back since they give me a discount for being affiliated with the Navy, and they have pretty decent equipment. Sure its far from the most hardcore place in the world to train, and I have to kick little emo kids out of the “curl rack” from time to time, but I get my shit done in there and get out while avoiding conversation with the DC area yuppies. I can live with that…

But apparently I got signed up for their new member mailing list that is just chock full of useful information. Like this e-mail from them today with some top notch nutrition advice…

[i]
Gold’s Gym: Know Your Own Strength: Start Strong Series Week 3

Your Stay-Healthy Meal Plan
Ditch the diet and try a nutritious weekly menu made just for you.

Regardless of age, every adult should eat three balanced meals a day, two healthy snacks, two fruits, two-to-three vegetables and plenty of whole grains. “Everyone should look for out-of-whack habits in their diet,” says Lauren Antonucci, a registered dietician and the director of Nutrition Energy in New York City, “and concentrate on bringing their ‘pieces’ back to the middle proportions of 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins.

“The key to overall health is variety,” Antonucci says. “When you’re at the supermarket, find new fruits for new seasons, and pick up different colors of veggies.” Choose a lean cut of meat and spice it up with seasonings like cumin and basil. You can also make your own mashed potatoes with unsalted butter and freshly minced garlic â?? and don’t peel off the nutrient-rich skin. And remember to always drink eight 8-oz. glasses of water per day. If that sounds daunting, just keep a clean water bottle handy during the day, and drink eight ounces periodically.

Break It Down: Click here to download your personalized meal plan
[/i]

Holy balls! 60% of my macros should come from grains, and only 20% from protein? Man, I’ve been going about this all wrong. The FDA must have some sort of funding channel with Gold’s for them to still be spewing this antiquated information the dinosaurs over at FDA are still pushing. I know this is representative of the ignorance of those in the health community nowadays, but christ, when will it end?

And LOL at 64 oz of water a day being “daunting”. I drink close to that in a single workout!

Also, a funny thing to note is if you clicked on the link to my “personalized meal plan”, you would see a cliffnote at the bottom that the diet is “Based on a 150 lb person who drinks 64 oz of fluids per day…and exercises for one hour, three days a week”. I am overwhelemed with the “personal” service I have received!

A diet for a 150 lb emaciated male is PERFECT for my 260 lb ass while training for a powerlifting competition! Thanks guys!!! Oh and I can have 20 plain M&M’s as Snack #2 every Friday? No need for protein at any of my breakfasts? Only 4 oz of red meat a week? Man, this is awesome advice, im going to have hawt abz in no time!!!

What do you expect from a RD? That’s the shit they get in their education.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Regardless of age, every adult should eat three balanced meals a day, two healthy snacks, two fruits, two-to-three vegetables and plenty of whole grains. “Everyone should look for out-of-whack habits in their diet,” says Lauren Antonucci, a registered dietician and the director of Nutrition Energy in New York City, “and concentrate on bringing their ‘pieces’ back to the middle proportions of 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins.

[/quote]

So a min of 50% carbs, and up to 50% fats?.. Yummy!!!

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
What do you expect from a RD? That’s the shit they get in their education. [/quote]

You can always learn more then what your education gives you.

Sad thing is that many on this site are still woefully away from those recomendations I’m sure, except of course the protein amount, but as for water, veggies, fruit, etc. many probably sadly fail.

I have yet to see an RD who isn’t overweight or borderline obese.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I have yet to see an RD who isn’t overweight or borderline obese. [/quote]

Don’t let Bricknyce see that.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
VTBalla34 wrote:

“and concentrate on bringing their ‘pieces’ back to the middle proportions of 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins.

[/quote]

These % dont even work…

If you go 50%, 35% than… u cant go higher than 15%…

If you go 55%, 40%… well than… u have 5% protein.

They shouldve said : 50-60% carbs, 35-50%fat, 0-15% proteins !

Lol… sad.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Sad thing is that many on this site are still woefully away from those recomendations I’m sure, except of course the protein amount, but as for water, veggies, fruit, etc. many probably sadly fail.[/quote]

How so, are you suggesting that we don’t get enough water, veggies, and fruit – or more than enough? I put down 1.5 gallons of water at the very least and eat a ton of fruit, and I’m certain many other serious users do also.

And, besides the recommendations were a joke anyway.

[quote]zraw wrote:
Spartiates wrote:
VTBalla34 wrote:

“and concentrate on bringing their ‘pieces’ back to the middle proportions of 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins.

These % dont even work…

If you go 50%, 35% than… u cant go higher than 15%…

If you go 55%, 40%… well than… u have 5% protein.

They shouldve said : 50-60% carbs, 35-50%fat, 0-15% proteins !

Lol… sad.[/quote]

haha don’t think for a second this epic math fail was lost on me! and you’re right…just sad…I really want to just be a dick and forward it to Gold’s corporate with a huge WTF rant attached to it. But I’m sure it would fall on deaf ears.

[quote]HynesKetchup wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
What do you expect from a RD? That’s the shit they get in their education.

You can always learn more then what your education gives you.

[/quote]

Of course, but only the above average ever do. And how many people would you classify as simply mediocre at what they do? When it comes to RDs I would say more suck than don’t.

Those educated in nutrition that really do pursue knowledge to an extreme extent do, however, become a wealth of knowledge (Bowden, Berardi, Lowery).

The Gold’s RD…not so much.

I just got the new one today.

They have a nice calories vs cardio table and they also have some healthy eating at work strategies.

The healthy eating at work strategies aren’t too bad I do most of them already.

The calories vs cardio is stupid. It suggests that if you eat a crappy pizza but spend 2 hours on a treadmill your fine. Not exactly. It also suggests that you can out work a crappy diet.

I think most of America is already on that 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins diet, looks like the macro from…well anything on a McDonalds menu. You know some dumb shits going to eat 50% carbs and 50% fats then wonder what went wrong.

[quote]dday wrote:
I think most of America is already on that 50% to 60% carbs, 35% to 50% fats and 15% to 20% proteins diet, looks like the macro from…well anything on a McDonalds menu. You know some dumb shits going to eat 50% carbs and 50% fats then wonder what went wrong.[/quote]

Anyone that dumb probably won’t bother keeping track of what they eat anyway.