Funny Idea to Burn Cals

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Come on, let’s eskimo kiss and make up.[/quote]

Hmmmm… awwwwwriighttt

Why are there fat eskimos if this works?[/quote]

Because they’re all covered in fur instead of walking around nekkid.

Pussies.

jtrinsey wrote:

I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that water does not instantly form to ice at 0 degrees. Latent heat of fusion anyone?

So, your plan is to catch the water just before it freezes and becomes ice and drink it down fast before it warms up more than a degree? Let us know how that turns out for you.[/quote]

Water with ice cubes is generally ~ 0 degrees C.

Not very hard to drink.

[quote]consumer wrote:

Imagine an apparatus that put very thin layers of water on your body to expend energy in this way.

[/quote]

There’s already an ‘apparatus’!
It’s called a ‘wet t-shirt contest’.
If you need a ‘research-assistant’, let me know.

I don’t buy the 50 calorie statistic at all. I do think you burn some calories heating up very cold water. But 50 calories must be a gross exagerration. Fat loss would be the easiest thing in the world if it were true.

well it isn’t drinking cold water, but Dan Duchaine suggested that when taking a shower to turn the water to cold…The instant cold would basically cause a shot of adrenaline which in returns pumps up the metabolism, or something like that. I believe he wrote this in his Body Opus book.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
This is another thermodynamics doodad ain’t it?

Metals require a lot more calories to vaporize, so why don’t we spray ourselves down with mercury to burn calories?
[/quote]

Mercury does not adhere to the body.

Idiots!

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Actually I read somewhere that 8oz of freezing cold water (literally 0 degrees celsius) burns about 50 calories when it’s drank. So a half-gallon of freezing water would burn an extra 400 calories a day.

I actually have tried to implement this. Fuck cardio, I’ll just take some H2O.[/quote]

The problem here is that most energy expendature is due to inefficient heat production. When you cool the body, enzymes function more slowly (and more efficiently as far as not producing wasted heat). You would get better results by drinking very hot liquids and forcing yourself to sweat to stay cool because a hotter living thing is a less efficient living thing (more wasted energy).

Also, weight yourself, take a lukewarm shower, drip dry, weigh yourself again and see how much water is on you. Then see how long it takes for you to air dry.

Also, its easy to get liquid water at the freezing point (also known as the melting point by the way) Put water in the freezer until there are some ice crystals. Remove the ice crystals. The liquid will be at zero.

Or we could put dry ice on our heads and wait for it to sublimate. The energy expendature needed to heal the frostbite should be rather large.

[quote]consumer wrote:
So being an idiot an all, i decided how cool it would be if we could use the evaporation of water to allow people to expend calories, much like exercising, but not.

The heat of vaporization of water is 539 calories per gram. per kilogram of water that is 539 kilocalories or Calories.

the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/gram/deg C. and of vapor .48 cal/gm/C. and if we take body temp as 37 deg C then.

.52*63= 32.76 calories/gm= 32.76 Calories/kg + 539 Calories/kg

this means if we can use our bodies to evaporate 1kg of water we burn 571.76 Calories.

Imagine an apparatus that put very thin layers of water on your body to expend energy in this way.

haha i wonder how long it would take for a kg of water to evaporate(1 Liter).

it’s essentially like sweating but not drying it off your body.[/quote]

Also, the air around you will contribute much of the heat needed to evaporate the water.

Umm, Prof I know that you seem well versed in the whole racism thing and feel strongly about, so you should probably know that INUITS get highly offended by being called eskimos (by outsdiders)it’s essentially as bad as calling a black person a nigger.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t buy the 50 calorie statistic at all. I do think you burn some calories heating up very cold water. But 50 calories must be a gross exagerration. Fat loss would be the easiest thing in the world if it were true.[/quote]

How many obese people drink cold water?
It’s usually soda,or diet soda.

Ooh he said the n word!

Seriously though, 90% of all the threads on this site unrelated to training are complete garbage. Sure are funny though…

This is another one of those damned myths that just needs to die, like Bullpups perpetual motion nonsense.

If you body heats water, it doesn’t mean that you burned calories THAT YOU WOULDN’T OTHERWISE HAVE BURNED. If you haven’t noticed, the body generally has excess heat it needs to get rid of.

That’s why we sweat and so forth all the time anyway. So, the first thing that will happen if you try these things is that some of the bodies excess heat will be soaked up.

After that, you’ll get cold and wish you weren’t doing it. Go stand in a freezer all day and see how great an idea you think this is.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:

Idiots!
[/quote]

Ha! Of all the people to pick on, the funny sarcastic one probably isn’t it…

[quote]vroom wrote:
mertdawg wrote:

Idiots!

Ha! Of all the people to pick on, the funny sarcastic one probably isn’t it…
[/quote]

That was kind of the point-twisted I know!

[quote]X-Factor wrote:
Umm, Prof I know that you seem well versed in the whole racism thing and feel strongly about, so you should probably know that INUITS get highly offended by being called eskimos (by outsdiders)it’s essentially as bad as calling a black person a nigger.[/quote]

While I don’t follow the customs of the people in that area, I seriously doubt any of them would take that much offense to being called an eskimo when it has no negative connotations in the culture using that term. You see the word “eskimo” in children’s books.

Let me know the next time “nigger” is used in such innocent fashion. Unless you happen to be Inuit, I would simply be taking your word alone for it.

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
well it isn’t drinking cold water, but Dan Duchaine suggested that when taking a shower to turn the water to cold…The instant cold would basically cause a shot of adrenaline which in returns pumps up the metabolism, or something like that. I believe he wrote this in his Body Opus book.[/quote]

Yes, it could also potentially be a great way to die for someone with any heart conditions. I believe CSI even did an episode like that. Someone just finishing an exercise session runs into a cold shower and drops dead because the rush of blood from peripheral areas during vasoconstriction overloaded the heart. It may be relatively rare, but it can happen.

lets get some things straight.

1. you do not need to hit the boiling point of water to actually cause it to vaporize. I did the calculation with water vaporizing at 37 degrees, note the .52*63 correction for this fact.

2. Yes some latent energy in the atmosphere will contribute to the vaporization of the water, but a huge deal will come from your body. Did you know that on a hot hot sunny summers day you can actually get hypothermia when you come out of the pool?

the rapidly evaporating water pulls so much heat off your body so fast it can make you go hypothermic- this is fact.

This method exploits the heat of vaporization of water, which like i said, is 539 times higher than just heating the water to warmer water - i.e. drinking icecold water sucks because you don’t vaporize it.

1. actually someone made a good point, the added effect of being cold would probably psychologically trigger you to bulk - like in the winter time have you ever noticed you eat more and are hungrier as well?

discuss.

I like the idea of taking advantage of the body’s system designed to vaporized water… wait…

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
I don’t buy the 50 calorie statistic at all. I do think you burn some calories heating up very cold water. But 50 calories must be a gross exagerration. Fat loss would be the easiest thing in the world if it were true.

How many obese people drink cold water?
It’s usually soda,or diet soda.[/quote]

I don’t know about obese people. But I drink cold water all the time. I don’t think it’s causing me to burn hundreds of extra calories.