Functional Training

Christian,
If you are designing a functional strength program based around high frequency of, e.g, the squat 5-6 times a week, would you alternate emphasis of max strengh and speed strength intra-week or would you use the pendulum approach and do:
week 1: speed strength
week2: max strength
week 3: speed strength
week4: max strength

Thanks in advance for your time.
Mark

Both approaches would be very good… the one you described is actually also a form of pendulum training! It really depends on your goal. If you want only strength and power, your program looks fine (be sure to use a low daily volume of work though) but if you want more size you might be best with a 3 steps pendulum.

BTW, intraweek variation is not really pendulum training, it’s more of a conjugated/complex approach. It works well, as illustrated by the success of the Westside crew. But I feel that for athletes in general, the pendulum might be at least as good and maybe better due to the higher motor learning and less CNS stress over time.

Christian,

(1) What do you think I of the idea of alternating weeks of high frequency low rep work,for example squats for 5 days at 85% or above with daily reps >= 5 or so, alternating with your idea of timed sets for hypertrophy and power?

(2) on the high frequency week would you wave intensity, play +/- 5% with a mean intensity of 85 %?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

(1) What do you think I of the idea of alternating weeks of high frequency low rep work,for example squats for 5 days at 85% or above with daily reps >= 5 or so, alternating with your idea of timed sets for hypertrophy and power?

It would work, but for maximal gains I suggest varying the intensity during the strength week.

e.g.

Day 1: 3 x 3 @ 90%
Day 2: 3 x 5 @ 70%
Day 3: 3 x 3 @ 85%
Day 4: 3 x 2 @ 60%
Day 5: 3 x 1 @ 95-100%

(2) on the high frequency week would you wave intensity, play +/- 5% with a mean intensity of 85 %?

Vary the intensity on each day of training, but on any given day use a fixed weight (after proper warm-up of course).