Functional Bombardment

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
the straight dead to pressmethod is more effective because youre able to set the weight the weights for each protion appropriately. you obviously arent going to be deadlifting the same amount youre overhead pressing so why would you use something such low weight for BOTH, like oh say an 8lb kettleball for instance. because thats what a gallon of milk weighs? thats fucking re-tarded[/quote]

QFT

[quote]Makavali wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i hear compliments on a daily basis. im scratching at 200lbs@6’ft relatively lean. im not 6weeks out but i know what im doing and i can assert myself realistically saying i have a good body. i have pics in my profile if you care.

I’ve seen your pics. Don’t take it personally, I just think a proper PT should look the part. Although to your credit, your physique will probably help you pick up those initial clients.
[/quote]

I have worked out at a very high end University gym and an LA Fitness and if I were to see the OP at either of them in a personal trainer uniform, he would be the largest PT while maintaining leanness at either gym.

I think he has the ideal body to “advertise himself” to potential customers.

Sloth wrote:
On the flipside, why is a straight deadlift more “functional?” I’m assuming they’re going to transition from a deadlift position into an overhead press, while standing.

no. in my suggestion for improvement they would superset between deadlits and some type of shoulder pressing movement as opposed to deadlifting a kettleball and then rotating towards the right while you “put in in the cupbaord”.

the straight dead to pressmethod is more effective because youre able to set the weight the weights for each protion appropriately. you obviously arent going to be deadlifting the same amount youre overhead pressing so why would you use something such low weight for BOTH, like oh say an 8lb kettleball for instance. because thats what a gallon of milk weighs? thats fucking re-tarded[/quote]

Where’s the transition?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
I think he has the ideal body to “advertise himself” to potential customers. [/quote]

At least to start off with. I think the clients will speak volumes about his PT ability more than his physique. But as he is starting out, I think you are right.

omg…thats the whole point. there doesnt need to be a transition. those two movements dont even need to be trained together period ( i edited my post and added another paragraph)

you want functional shoulders? train you shoulders

you want functional back? train your back

you want functional legs? you guess it train them.

if you want to be good at taking a ball and lifting it to the side then lift do that. all youll do with that is improve that single movement whereas through training muscle directly you make those muscles stronger for any task that requires them. therefore, fuck functional training.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
msd0060 wrote:
I think he has the ideal body to “advertise himself” to potential customers.

At least to start off with. I think the clients will speak volumes about his PT ability more than his physique. But as he is starting out, I think you are right.[/quote]

I’m not sure where you work out, but places like 24 hour fitness, LA Fitness, Bally’s, etc… the customers who get PT sessions are:

A) The classic New Year’s Resolutionists just at different times of the year
B) Using their freebee they get just by joining.

And it is completely anonymous… You will not know which of the 10 trainers there trained who unless they’re training them AT THAT MOMENT. And even then, it’s curls on a bosu ball. Which lemmings see as “great core training”.

Fact is the OP is “big” to the clientele he will be working with, starting off or in the future. It’s not like coaches/trainers that write for this site that have the same clients for a couple years and even design the diets or whatehaveyou.

What I’m saying is at these commercial gyms, the clientele do not sell you as a PT, unless they get their good friends to join with them. For the most part it is “hi I’d like to get a PT session!” And anyone but a fatty will do.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
I’m not sure where you work out, but places like 24 hour fitness, LA Fitness, Bally’s, etc… the customers who get PT sessions are:

A) The classic New Year’s Resolutionists just at different times of the year
B) Using their freebee they get just by joining.

And it is completely anonymous… You will not know which of the 10 trainers there trained who unless they’re training them AT THAT MOMENT. And even then, it’s curls on a bosu ball. Which lemmings see as “great core training”.

Fact is the OP is “big” to the clientele he will be working with, starting off or in the future. It’s not like coaches/trainers that write for this site that have the same clients for a couple years and even design the diets or whatehaveyou.

What I’m saying is at these commercial gyms, the clientele do not sell you as a PT, unless they get their good friends to join with them. For the most part it is “hi I’d like to get a PT session!” And anyone but a fatty will do.[/quote]

I was going off my old gym where they had a mix of private PT’s and gym employees who taught “functional” training. Although to one guys credit, I saw him teaching a group of females how to deadlift.

I was bench pressing right behind them.

omg…thats the whole point. there doesnt need to be a transition. those two movements dont even need to be trained together period ( i edited my post and added another paragraph)

you want functional shoulders? train you shoulders

you want functional back? train your back

you want functional legs? you guess it train them.

if you want to be good at taking a ball and lifting it to the side then lift do that. all youll do with that is improve that single movement whereas through training muscle directly you make those muscles stronger for any task that requires them. therefore, fuck functional training.[/quote]

Why not a clean and press? Or, a corkscrew with a plate?

im not entirely opposed to that except wel for starters, im not an Oly coach and therefore wouldnt teach Oly lifts.

second thing is that if this is the movement im thinking of it isnt shoulder strength on the press, its momentum from leg and hip drive. are there shoulders involved too? yes. would it be the most effective way to train for shoulder strength? no.

theres really no way around it, if you want a strong, or big muscle you train that muscle.

The more successful PT’s in my area, look more like GQ models than muscle-bound men. The average guy walking the street would rather look lean and cut with some muscle, than someone who can lift the whole gym. I think this is largely the case for women too. This is what I see where I live, I am not speaking for anyone else.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The more successful PT’s in my area, look more like GQ models than muscle-bound men. The average guy walking the street would rather look lean and cut with some muscle, than someone who can lift the whole gym. I think this is largely the case for women too. This is what I see where I live, I am not speaking for anyone else. [/quote]

Really? Women might say they like the GQ/Ano look on men, but every female I know lights up like the fourth of July when they see a decent amount of muscle.

I think you guys are letting some of your past dislike for livefrom to cloud your perception.

He may not be ready to compete, but he looks like he lifts and knows at least the basics.
6’ and 200 lean is a better physique than 95% of american males have.

Right now, the look he has really is pretty decent as a pt. He won’t be small but really cut, thus dissuading the people wanting to put on mass, and he won’t be huge with higher bodyfat, so people will still trust him for fat loss.

Ideally, if he could keep the same bodyfat or lose some while maybe getting larger, he’ll stay appealing to clientele on both side of the spectrum.

That being said, your instructor is an idiot, LFT.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
The more successful PT’s in my area, look more like GQ models than muscle-bound men. The average guy walking the street would rather look lean and cut with some muscle, than someone who can lift the whole gym. I think this is largely the case for women too. This is what I see where I live, I am not speaking for anyone else. [/quote]

thats how most PTs in general look though. i may not look like your average PT and you know what? thats a good thing. they can spout off all day about their b.s. certification knowledge i dont care because exeperience, observation and common sense are the most important things in making progressive physical changes.

im trying not to talk too much at these training things because im new and with my boss at these things it probaly wont look good especially as word is he doesnt respect bodybuilding so for me to say anything anti-whatever they teach its immediately assumed that whatever im saying is strictly bodybuilding methodolgy and can only be applied thereso. …but i can only hold my opinion in for so long and if i hear something too stupid i have to question it.

Unless you’re quite lucky, pretty soon you’ll see some average sedentary people come in who are so uncoordinated and unbalanced that you will be shocked. For people with no kinesthetic sense whatsoever, teaching lightly loaded movement patterns will have to come before serious muscular development.

Conveniently though, many of the people in this category will need so much in terms of flexibility and mobility work before they’re even capable of properly performing the exercises you know and love that you won’t even have a dilemma in the first place.

Welcome to modern America.

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
I think you guys are letting some of your past dislike for livefrom to cloud your perception.[/quote]

If this is in any way directed at me, perhaps you should try reading the thread.

Failing that, try hitting her.

ive seen a lot of the people who come in for PTs theyre usually girls with a little extra fat. sometimes theyre hot, sometimes not. or just the average, drink some beers during a football game guy. i havent seen too many of these nightmare cases. only a couple really fat people in the gym at all ive seen like one or two scarcely.

only funny thing about the instructer was when hed ask if wed have a grandma do squats and deadlifts, i think i was the only one whod say yea, then after everyone goes noooo he goes YES we WOULD and talks about load etc but then hed turn it into more functional shit and i was like …ah, just when i though you had me you go’n fuck it all up.

only funny thing about the instructer was when hed ask if wed have a grandma do squats and deadlifts, i think i was the only one whod say yea, then after everyone goes noooo he goes YES we WOULD and talks about load etc but then hed turn it into more functional shit and i was like …ah, just when i though you had me you go’n fuck it all up.[/quote]

It’s like being offered two hot women, but at the last second they give you a man.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
the straight dead to pressmethod is more effective because youre able to set the weight the weights for each protion appropriately. you obviously arent going to be deadlifting the same amount youre overhead pressing so why would you use something such low weight for BOTH, like oh say an 8lb kettleball for instance. because thats what a gallon of milk weighs? thats fucking re-tarded

QFT[/quote]

try kettlebell clean and presses, it’ll look similar but it will actually make sense.

With the olympics and all, some semi oly lifts might keep people interested. They aren’t all that hard to learn on a basic level. I taught myself to clean/snatch. The power variations would be relatively easy.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Why not a clean and press? Or, a corkscrew with a plate?[/quote]

beat me to it.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
The more successful PT’s in my area, look more like GQ models than muscle-bound men. The average guy walking the street would rather look lean and cut with some muscle, than someone who can lift the whole gym. I think this is largely the case for women too. This is what I see where I live, I am not speaking for anyone else.

Really? Women might say they like the GQ/Ano look on men, but every female I know lights up like the fourth of July when they see a decent amount of muscle.[/quote]

Yea I agree with you Mak, its almost give and take here. If you have too much or too little muscle, you are fucked. If you are fat, you are ROYALLY fucked. Too much emphasis on looks here in Hollyweird.