T Nation

Functional Anatomy Book

I have been wanting to learn functional anatomy for a while, and recent article by Mike Robertson served as a great introduction and a reminder.

What introductory book would you recommend?

Thank you.

What exactly is 'functional anatomy'? I guess that presupposes that there is 'non functional anatomy'?

Seriously, I'm only being half smart-assed here because I really don't know what that term means. I'm thinking kinesiology, but then you probably would have said as much.

Duh... everybody knows functional anatomy MUST be studied while standing one-legged on the Bosu ball.

That was too easy.

I meant a book along the lines of "Fitness Professionals' Guide to Musculoskeletal Anatomy and Human Movement" by Lawrence Arthur Golding.

Thank you.

What the fuck is a bosu ball?

Do you mean something like Gray's Anatomy, online for free? :

That book uses the term "functional anatomy" because they highlight particular muscle groups being used while the person is doing an exercise, instead of just standing there.
edit, i thought he was talking about a different book there, edit

I think if you wanna learn more about anatomy, a good place to start is checking out diagrams of muscle groups and noticing what joint or joints they pass. If a muscle crosses a joint, it has an action at that joint. Next, read over the actions of those muscles.

If you want to get a stronger understanding, you can study all the bones and their articulations, and then draw the muscles on a picture of a skeleton. It will take some time to cover everything, but when you are drawing the muscles it really helps it to stick.

There's a specific book that most kinesiology majors have to read that shows most of the lifts used in the gym along with the muscles they involve. It also shows the proper technique. PM me later to remind me to find it and post a reference to it. I'll just give you the ISBN number on it and you'll be able to find it for probably 5-$20 on ebay or half.com

Thank you. I can't believe it's free. I would hate to read all that from a cimputer screen though. Also, it looks like a book that a medical student would read.

Great advice. I can see how drawing the muscles would help with remembering. Did you do ever this? What was your study guide?

In my kinesiology course, I spent 6 weeks in the summer drawing muscles on bones. ahhahhaha If anyone would like me to send them skeletal pictures to draw on, PM me.

Manual of Structural Kinesiology by Floyd

For just the nuts and bolts Kinetic Anatomy by Behnke is a great text and resource. Muscles (points of attatchment/insertions, actions etc..), Bones/joints they act on, Innervation, and Blood Supply.

At my school they use Manual of Structural Kinesiology by Floyd/Thompson for their Stuctural Kines course. It also includes some exercies/applications, however those sections are basically useless.

Their descriptions include such proven BS as asserting that letting the knees go beyond the toes in a squat is incorrect technique and causes danger of knee injury.