Fun With Gym Idiots

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
You’re not Arnold, you’re not allowed to act arrogant unless one of two things occurs:

1.) You begin to slightly resemble something like Arnold, ya know…you actually have a lot of muscle.

2.) You’re pushing the same kinda weight as Arnold.

Try being nice when someone offers help.

I know it’s tempting to act like a douche but please refrain, you give all of us with plenty of knowledge a bad reputation.

It’s our job to educate the unwashed masses. Not to scare them off.[/quote]

I agree with you to on this one. We were all there.

But here’s the rub. I do fit under somewhere looking like arnold. Not exact by any means, but I’m 235lbs with some good mass (and losing some fat too so I aint cut). I’m the closest thing my gym has to looking like any muscular frame and I certainly push around the most weight. Small gym with crappy trainers, what do you expect? But the rub being when I’m trying, and some little tiny guy comes up and tells me how to “do something the right way.” I’m like, look at you and look at me. Shouldn’t I be telling you what to do? I don’t mind advice at all but when its about training and from someone that gets all their info out of Oxygen magazine.

[quote]
sasquatch wrote:
I am kind and considerate of others who may or may not know as much as I on a given subject. I don’t mind helping people and taking a little time out of my day to do so.[/quote]

Followed by…

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
whatever dude…

or is it bro!

Maybe if you learn to communicate like an adult others would take you serious.[/quote]

He prowls the woods frustrating amateur legend hunters and has mastered irony! Or something. :slight_smile:

I’m an asshole…I’ve known it for years and have never argued it.

I’ll say this: Your assessment of my situation is 100% wrong. You’re wrong. Instead of trying to rationalize it realize that irrational things happen.

Time for you to get that chip off your shoulder…“sir”.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
whatever dude…

or is it bro!

Maybe if you learn to communicate like an adult others would take you serious.

And I have been out of the country. That would also imply different cultures!

You can blah blah me to death. If you worrying about me believing you is this upsetting, too bad. The real gist of my post is:

If you look like you know what you’re doing and it shows, noone would come up to you as you are about to lift and comment. So you maybe don’t measure up, I don’t know. But when some guy comes on here and says this happened to him, then I guess there must be a reason. And your little “I gave him the dissmisive shoo away sign with my hand bs” is annoying. And your arguing with me that it is real instead of addressing the fact you were a jerk doesn’t make me feel like I judged you wrong.[/quote]

Oh, and being a tourist or stuck in one place the whole time doesn’t count. :wink:

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
whatever dude…

or is it bro!

You can blah blah me to death. If you worrying about me believing you is this upsetting, too bad. The real gist of my post is:

If you look like you know what you’re doing and it shows, noone would come up to you as you are about to lift and comment. So you maybe don’t measure up, I don’t know. But when some guy comes on here and says this happened to him, then I guess there must be a reason. And your little “I gave him the dissmisive shoo away sign with my hand bs” is annoying. And your arguing with me that it is real instead of addressing the fact you were a jerk doesn’t make me feel like I judged you wrong.[/quote]

[quote]AlphaDragon wrote:
I’m an asshole…I’ve known it for years and have never argued it.

I’ll say this: Your assessment of my situation is 100% wrong. You’re wrong. Instead of trying to rationalize it realize that irrational things happen.

Time for you to get that chip off your shoulder…“sir”.

sasquatch wrote:
whatever dude…

or is it bro!

If you look like you know what you’re doing and it shows, noone would come up to you as you are about to lift and comment. So you maybe don’t measure up, I don’t know. But when some guy comes on here and says this happened to him, then I guess there must be a reason. And your little “I gave him the dissmisive shoo away sign with my hand bs” is annoying. And your arguing with me that it is real instead of addressing the fact you were a jerk doesn’t make me feel like I judged you wrong.

[/quote]

You’ve been arguing it with me for about a day and a half:)

Listen, Yah I jumped on your shit, but these posts really have become boorish. You know the ones. The guy who takes your squat rack for curls right in the middle of your workout. The ones where noone in the gym knows how to lift except them. The ones where these big huge guys are lifting wrong–by the newbie who just read his first article here.

So I guess it was just your day to catch shit. I’ve rationalized notta. I stated my beliefs and stuck with them. In fact, I called you an asshole before you even publicly recognized it. So I must be on to something.

I promise no more posts. You are free to dismiss whomever you choose, whenever you choose. I on the other hand, will continue to post my opinion on such matters as long as people choose to post about being a*holes. I wish you well

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

I’ve been working out for almost 20yrs–10 very seriously–and have never had someone come up to me as I was about to lift or in the middle of my lift to discuss my lift or correct my form. These posts are getting more and more ridiculous.
…[/quote]

Are you serious? I’ve only been training for 2.5 years and I’ve been complimented on my form, criticised on my form, rediculed for the exercises I do, complimented with the exercises I do, asked about the exercises I do, asked if that was my water bottle, asked to go help search for his water bottle, jumped in front off, bumped into when deadlifting, benchpressing every exercise you can imagine.

I’ve had people hanging their bag on the seated calf raise machine while I was doing calf raises.

I’ve had people hang their towell over mine, so I wouldn’t notice that they had stolen my bench, with 4 other identical benches free right next to it.

I’ve had people hang their towell on a loaded bar I was deadlifting with.

Training makes you stronger, but it makes some people a whole lot dumber also. Just check out this forum for proof.

Are you working out in your own private gym?

This morning, I walk into the gym, and this guy offers me his bench. WTF, there are 5 benches. I don’t need his bench. So I dismiss him with an “arrogant” gesture of the hand. He picks another victim, and strikes up a conversation with him.

35 minutes into my workout this guy has only done 1 set of triceps extensions. His mouth never stops and he follows the other guy around like a puppy.

Some guys in the gym are like leaches. You make eye contact and your workout is over.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

I’ve been working out for almost 20yrs–10 very seriously–and have never had someone come up to me as I was about to lift or in the middle of my lift to discuss my lift or correct my form. These posts are getting more and more ridiculous.

Are you serious? I’ve only been training for 2.5 years and I’ve been complimented on my form, criticised on my form, rediculed for the exercises I do, complimented with the exercises I do, asked about the exercises I do, asked if that was my water bottle, asked to go help search for his water bottle, jumped in front off, bumped into when deadlifting, benchpressing every exercise you can imagine.

I’ve had people hanging their bag on the seated calf raise machine while I was doing calf raises.

I’ve had people hang their towell over mine, so I wouldn’t notice that they had stolen my bench, with 4 other identical benches free right next to it.

Training makes you stronger, but it makes some people a whole lot dumber also. Just check out this forum for proof.

This morning, I walk into the gym, and this guy offers me his bench. WTF, there are 5 benches. I don’t need his bench. So I dismiss him with an “arrogant” gesture of the hand. He picks another victim, and strikes up a conversation with him.

35 minutes into my workout this guy has only done 1 set of triceps extensions. His mouth never stops and he follows the other guy around like a puppy.

Some guys in the gym are like leaches. You make eye contact and your workout is over.[/quote]

If someone ‘really’ put there towel over yours to steal your bench with 4 open ones—I’ll never post here again.

I never said people haven’t talked to me. I simply stated noone has come up to me in the lift position and tried to give me advice.

Prove to me where training makes you dumber. I know you tried to be funny there–I think, but it really didn’t work.

I’m not into this to argue with every dick who meets another dick at their gym. Of course I believe shit happens. But 99.9% of it could be handled with proper and adult communication. Things like excuse me, or this is the reason I’m doing it this way.

The dismissive hand gesture is better left at the sandbox. But I’m sure you and the other guy both think you’re a tough guy. Why not a simple–‘No, there’s one over there,thank you.’

Oh no, that’s not T-man behavior. Well I guess I just beg to differ. Whatever gets ya through the day, but I restate nothing like this or what you have stated has ever happened to me at my PUBLIC gym.

Now, let’s not start a discussion on body odor or grunting.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

Some guys in the gym are like leaches. You make eye contact and your workout is over.

If someone ‘really’ put there towel over yours to steal your bench with 4 open ones—I’ll never post here again.

I never said people haven’t talked to me. I simply stated noone has come up to me in the lift position and tried to give me advice.

Prove to me where training makes you dumber. I know you tried to be funny there–I think, but it really didn’t work.

I’m not into this to argue with every dick who meets another dick at their gym. Of course I believe shit happens. But 99.9% of it could be handled with proper and adult communication. Things like excuse me, or this is the reason I’m doing it this way.

The dismissive hand gesture is better left at the sandbox. But I’m sure you and the other guy both think you’re a tough guy. Why not a simple–‘No, there’s one over there,thank you.’

Oh no, that’s not T-man behavior. Well I guess I just beg to differ. Whatever gets ya through the day, but I restate nothing like this or what you have stated has ever happened to me at my PUBLIC gym.

Now, let’s not start a discussion on body odor or grunting.[/quote]

Now lets get this right, from the start you have called people ''jackasses'' ''dicks'' and ''assholes'' now that real adult communcation. You are such a tough guy eh.

Just toddle over to a thread called squat rack curls and have a quick read, that's what happens in public gyms.

Get it into your head that just because you have not personally experienced this situation, does not mean it has not happened.

And by the way, you have called eveyone dicks who has had this situation happen to them, like me but again your view means nothing to me, its a bit like your word not to post, worthless.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
[/quote]

Oh, please, I don’t ask for much… :wink:

Bah. No one’s perfect. I used to think that some folks had bad form until I saw a video of Ronnie Coleman doing dumbell rows- it didn’t look right, but it sure as hell worked.

Not too mention, the way I look at people when I think they’re doing something fucked up is the same way they look at me when they think I am. Whatever. You learn to not care. Smirk on the inside if you know you’re right, and move on.

If a guy says something stupid, just look at him and say, “I don’t need help”. Say it abrubtly and curtly. It works for me in more things than just the gym…just make sure you know what you’re doing.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
…jumped in front off, bumped into when deadlifting, benchpressing every exercise you can imagine.

I’ve had people hanging their bag on the seated calf raise machine while I was doing calf raises…

I’ve had people hang their towell over mine…
This morning, I walk into the gym, and this guy offers me his bench. WTF, there are 5 benches. I don’t need his bench. So I dismiss him with an “arrogant” gesture of the hand. He picks another victim, and strikes up a conversation with him… 35 minutes into my workout this guy has only done 1 set of triceps extensions. His mouth never stops and he follows the other guy around like a puppy.
[/quote]

Dude,

Next time you go to your “gym”, stop by some of the adjacent busniesses and ask them their understanding of the establishment at which you train. Don’t be surprised if they tell you that they thought it was a gay bar with weights.

The problems you’re having sound more like flirting than rudeness.

Ive been complimented on my deadlift form and told not to do standing shoulder press’ as it fucks ur back up and ive been in this current gym about 3 months.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

You’ve been arguing it with me for about a day and a half:)[/quote]

Yeah, and you have been arguing with me too. :wink:

I hear you dude. But just imagine how bad it would be if it happened in Real life.

Heck, I had someone take the pin out of the Pec Deck (my finisher today) while I was resting in the chair of it between sets (2nd of 4). He went and used it for flies.

Maybe hard to believe…but absoluetly true.

[quote]
So I guess it was just your day to catch shit. I’ve rationalized notta. I stated my beliefs and stuck with them. In fact, I called you an asshole before you even publicly recognized it. So I must be on to something.[/quote]

Hate to tell it to ya dude…you’re not onto anything. I think it’s obvious to anyone with 3/4th of a brain that I’m an asshole. And I freely admit that fact. :wink:

[quote]
I promise no more posts. You are free to dismiss whomever you choose, whenever you choose. I on the other hand, will continue to post my opinion on such matters as long as people choose to post about being a*holes. I wish you well [/quote]

Post away if you want dude. As Tupac said: “I ain’t mad at’cha.”

Well at least the guy was trying to be helpful, I don’t think he deserves to be dissed with a joke at his expense.

There seem to be a lot of these kinds of posts.

I don’t think someone who is trying to be helpful deserves to be made fun of, even if they have not got a clue.

Surely it would be better to find a way to deal with them that gave you BOTH a good laugh and maybe was more friendly. I’m sure I’d find a way.

If the guy came up and said I was an idiot, didn’t know what I was doing, and stole the weights off me mid-set and tried to make me do something else then I’d probably get a bit annoyed. Especially since I train in my house and I’d be wondering how he got through the locked door.

But what this REALLY shows is there is NOT enough good information out there or the guy would look at you and know straight out what exercise you were doing.

YOU NEED TO BE AN AMBASSADOR FOR T-Nation.

This guy obviously has not seen the site.

Tell him “thanks man, but I’m doing triceps work, you can read about it a T-Nation, just go there and search for close grip bench press, it’s got all sorts of stuff on there”

And maybe then some good will come out of it.

It’s a slight annoyance to be disturbed in the middle of a workout by someone who doesn’t know much.

But it is almost a crime to be angry at ignorance without returning some knowledge.

i’ve had guys (in china) come up to me and try and help out but i always say…“xie xie, wor bu yi yan” (roughly …thank you but I’m doing it differently). But to be honest it does take some balls for them to have come up to you and say that. I got the same deal (in Hangzhou) and more often than not its just their clumsy attempt to break the ice, tho not necessarily for a free english lesson. At the same time, (native) chinese guys in a gym are so busy trying to be macho, you’d need a crowbar to get them to crack a smile.