Fully Functional Athlete - 8 Week Experiment

Hello T Forums,

This is my first post here and my first training log. I’m conducting an 8 week training experiment with two goals in mind: 1. Get Stronger 2. Get faster.

To measure my progress I’ll be using two metrics:

1. Deadlift, Squat, Shoulder Press Total
  2. Army Physical Fitness Test score (Current score 285, with a goal of reaching 300+)

This program combines strength training, running/cardio, and functional strongman principles in an attempt to dispel the theory that to improve on the APFT you just need to focus on running, more running, and a lot more running, and push ups, followed by some sit ups.

The program overview I designed is 8 weeks in length and consists of 5 training days per week. It’s broken down by the following:

Day 1 - Long run / Core
Day 2 - Dead lift / Shoulder Press / 2-3 accessory movements
Day 3 - Sprint Day / Core
Day 4 - Bench Press / Squat / 2-3 accessory movements
Day 5 - Functional fitness day - Tire flips, farmers carry, sled pull, or a Hero WOD

The program also has two days of rest built in where needed.

I’m currently on day 3 of the program so will post all three workouts in this post and then from here on out continue with a daily log.

Day 1
Dynamic warm up
30 Minute Run at moderate pace
Cool down stretch

Day 2
Dynamic warm up

Deadlift 5x5
Max weight on last set was 275#

Strict Shoulder Press 5x5
Max weight on last set was 135#

Accessory work:
Dumbbell lateral raises 3x10 at 25#
3 sets of 1 minute sit ups, 1 minute rest in between each set

Day 3
Warmup - “Bring Sally Up, Bring Sally Down” body weight squats

5 x 400m sprints

10 different core exercises, 1 minute each. No rest between exercises

Cooldown

Supplements I will use throughout consist of:
Creatine
L-Arginine
Multivitamin
Protein
Fish oil (9 pills a day)
Preworkout on lift days

Day 4 - Rest Day

Boring right? But rest is recovery and recovery is growth. Normally I would conduct some type of active recovery, ie - moderate walk, yoga, stretching, meditation, but today was rather busy so the time just wasn’t there.

Since starting this program I’ve upped my whole milk intake (organic) as well as a daily 5g dose of pure L-Arginine in an effort to boost my IGF-1 production. In order for me to not go overboard on calories while upping my milk intake, I’ve cut back on bread carbohydrates.

I’m also a huge proponent of L-Arginine. It is such an amazing amino acid that boosts IGF-1, natural testosterone, and significantly improves blood flow and oxidation. In my opinion, 5g is the minimum daily dose, with a range of 10g as the sweet spot.

Amped for the gym tomorrow. Time to crush the bench and squats!

Day 5 - Bench Press and Back Squat

For not really lifting much in the past 4-6 months I’m not too disappointed with today’s lift. Not great, not good, but ok. That leaves plenty of room to grow and improve.

I began with every skinnylegged chumps favorite lift, The Bench

Barbell Bench Press 5 x 5
Set 1 - 155
Set 2 - 185
Set 3 - 205
Set 4 - 215
Set 5 - 225

Next I checked my pump in the mirror and then made my way over to the squat rack. Legs Boom

Barbell Back Squat
Set 1 - 185
Set 2 - 225
Set 3 - 245
Set 4 - 255
Set 5 - 275

From there I limped over to my favorite workstation, the dumbbell rack, and prepared to work my accessory lifts. I executed 3 sets of Dumbbell flys.

Set 1 - 30 lb x 10 reps
Set 2 - 35 lb x 10 reps
Set 3 - 40 lb x 10 reps

Next I picked up the ol’ Russian KB, a whopping 53#, and prepared to execute 3 sets of 10 reps of Romanian deadlifts. All the while I focused on repeating the mantra: You’re my comrade, Pavel!

I ended with 3 sets of back extensions, 3 sets of oblique extensions (each side). And what I like to call the Wheel of Death… blasted my abs by rolling out 3 more sets of ten.

Post workout meal - Two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a double scoop protein shake with milk.

Tomorrow is where I pretend I’m a STRONGMAN in the gym. Tire flips and all that stuff. Until then!

STRONGMAN DAY or Fear and Loathing in the Gym

I’m not going to lie, my chest and leg muscles are incredibly sore after yesterdays workout. But you know what they say, “No pain, no gain.” Am I right?

Anyway, it was time to lift some heavy shit… in moderation of course.

First test of will and strength was the Farmers Carry AFAP (As Far As Possible) in 10 minutes. My goal was to cover as much distance as I could manage without my arms snapping off while carrying two 80# kettlebells.
Total distance: 1,350 feet

Next test of will and strength was the Tire Flip AFAP in 10 minutes. My goal was to maintain good form and pace while flipping a heavy ass tire repeatedly. It wasn’t pretty, but I managed, and I felt like a real STRONGMAN doing it.
Total distance: 500 feet

I did some cooldown stretching and bounced.

Thought of the Day: Perhaps I should get some knee sleeves. If nothing else for the “bro factor”

The Start of Week Two!

Began today with a 35 minute run, ran over 4 miles and felt great. That is all.