T Nation

Full Squats Bad on Knees?

ive heard a lot of debate on this but i dont know what to think
ive been doing full squats for the past couple months and my knees feel no different but some say it’s terrible on your knees
is it a matter of opinion or fact that they’re bad on the knees?

it’s fact, and no it not bad if your form is right. (genetically some people are better suited for it thou.)

Like every thing. If your form sucks your going to get hurt eventually.

and yes i spell like shit, sorry

Full (parrallel or greater)( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYRXvBrAAs ) squats are fine for knees.

Partial Squats with heavy weight will destroy them. (cant find a youtube vid)

they’re only bad for your knees if your form is bad, i learned the hard way at the begining, and i used full squats with correct form to make my knees feels better

Wow, I was expecting facepalms to have appeared by now.

Full squats are great for everything except the ego - there’s a good article here called / about the third world squat that talked about this issue.

If your knees are a problem, you might want to avoid heavy squatting all together and stick with deadlifts

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
Full (parrallel or greater)( http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYRXvBrAAs ) squats are fine for knees.

Partial Squats with heavy weight will destroy them. (cant find a youtube vid)[/quote]

Not sure I entirely agree with those points. I wouldn’t consider a parallel squat the same as a full ROM squat. The knee joint is in the most dangerous position when transitioning from negative to positive at the point of parallel.

Cosgrove’s written about his here:

However, using the full ROM, going as far down as your body will allow, uses more advantageous positions with less risk. If you can’t get into the third world squat position, you should figure out why not and address that before adding resistance.

And partial squats that are well-above parallel, like quarter squats, can actually be part of a solid strength-building plan as long as you’re doing them on purpose, not like 90% of the boneheads in the gym who do them while thinking they’re going rock-bottom on each rep.