Full Rack vs. Half Rack

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
if you bought that half rack

this cable station

http://www.pro-fitness.com/Lat_Pulldown_Cable_Crossover.htm

and a leg press, hack squat, or front squat machine (+2,000)

youd be at ~$5500 w/o plates.

[/quote]

What the fuck does he need a cable station or leg press for? He’s got his pull-ups, his barbell rows, and his squats.

To OP: I’d go with the half.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
to answer your question, it looks like you would have to remove the bar in order to do pull-ups/chins, whatever. that seems like it would be a pain in the ass, since i consider those movments to be staples. if you look at the half rack, it looks like you’d have to remove the bar, then put it back or whatever when you are done. if you are a pull-up guy, it may be worth the convenience (plus the fact that the full rack can hold more weight, etc.)[/quote]

Ah…good point. That would be a pain in the ass. See this is what I’m talking about…this is the kind of advice I’m looking for.

Discovering this kind of stuff after you drop the coin sucks…

Anybody else?

[quote]icehawk wrote:

What the fuck does he need a cable station or leg press for? He’s got his pull-ups, his barbell rows, and his squats.

[/quote]

LOL.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was about boobs.

You mentioned something about reverse band deadlifts, think of the bench as well.

With less weight on the front of the cage, if you plan on doing a band pull through or anything as well, you are going to have to work around the back with the weight stack, having never seen this type before, the weights might get in the way of the band for the pull through.

If you decide on the full rack, I would shop around unless you are getting a good deal somehow. Can get an elite classic 3x3 for 100 bucks cheaper.

[quote]Matches wrote:
You mentioned something about reverse band deadlifts, think of the bench as well.

With less weight on the front of the cage, if you plan on doing a band pull through or anything as well, you are going to have to work around the back with the weight stack, having never seen this type before, the weights might get in the way of the band for the pull through.

If you decide on the full rack, I would shop around unless you are getting a good deal somehow. Can get an elite classic 3x3 for 100 bucks cheaper.[/quote]

Good point…hadn’t thought about the pull throughs.

The problem with Elite, or really most places, is the shipping. That adds another $300.00 to the order. With Powertec, shipping is free.

Of course, I’m going to be looking locally when I get home, right now I’m in Iraq…so all I have is the internet.

I don’t know about quality on those, but I had checked them out when I went on my squat rack search. Decent prices, the cheapest one is rated to 1000 lbs. Even with shipping it is cheaper than Powertech.

Bad side of a full rack, and one I should have mentioned earlier is the sheer size. The six and a half foot ones are ok and easy enough to move and whatnot just not going to be able to press in them unless you are very short.

The seven and a half foot ones are beastly though. Do something I didn’t do and think of the future. Ask yourself what the chances of you moving any time soon are. I am currently buying a house around my squat rack. Who would have thought that a min ceiling height of 8 foot wasn’t standard for a garage?

You can’t do overhead press lockout training with a half rack.

[quote]absolute3 wrote:
You can’t do overhead press lockout training with a half rack.[/quote]

Another good one…didn’t think of this one because I’ve never done them…I need to rotate these in.