Full High Def Plasma

My friend had the best quote ever “Blueray is better than vision.”

Get the HD

Funny how the people with plasmas are the only ones defending them. The general consensus among consumer electronics outlets is that LCDs are better. Plasmas have the lower price on their side, but considering you’ll probably be using it for a good while, cheaper isn’t better.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
My friend had the best quote ever “Blueray is better than vision.”

Get the HD[/quote]

That’s some funny shit. LOL!

[quote]bpeck wrote:
Gregus wrote:
Testy1 wrote:
It is my understanding that very little content is 1080P with the exception being Bluray.

Most Hi def cable is broadcast in 720P.

PS3 plays Bluray though so you may want to consider it.

True but more and more programs are being aired with full 1080p. The difference in 720 and 1080 is really quite stunning. It’s like just when you thought it couldn’t get better it does. Same difference for 1080P and 1080I another marked difference in quality.

Other than the ABC family (ESPN/Disney) and Fox which are 720p the rest are mostly 1080i. See link.

The biggest difference between the 1080i from cable and the 1080p from bluray is the bitrate. On bluray discs movies are 24fps and tv shows are 30fps. Cable is 60fps. 1080i works by giving you half of the lines on each refresh so every second you would get 30 total full refreshes from 1080i at 60fps.

If you do the math that is enough to give you every frame that a bluray has. The difference is that blurays are less compressed than cable.

The benefit of 720p is that it is refreshed twice as fast so it is better for fast moving action like sports. This really exhausts my knowledge on the subject. My tv is 1080p. I have not seen what a 720p picture looks like. I would think the larger you go the more benefit you would see from 1080p.

bpeck[/quote]

So if you have a 720p tv and the broadcast is 1080i what are you actually seeing in high def?

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
I have heard it all comes down to how far you are from your TV to even matter at all.

A typical 720P 42" screen will not look any different than a 42" 1080P if you are beyond 8 feet from the screen, as the human eye at that distance can not differentiate the pixel ratio.

So the comments before going go a larger screen would benefit if you are one of those GOT TO HAVE 1080p people and sit beyond 8 feet from the screen.[/quote]

I read yesterday in Sound & Vision magazine that this is a common misconception, and that the reverse is true. They claim that the further away you are, the more important 1080P becomes.

There is not a huge difference, but there is some. Most regular broadcasts are in 1080i now, because 1080i is cheaper to broadcast in than 780p. But sports and any fast movement will look sharper in 780p.

I’d wait for a sale and get 1080p. That way you are set for a long time.

I used to like Plasmas better, and my first LCD was kinda crappy, but the LCD I just bought is awesome, and you can watch it from any angle just like a plasma, I love it. It’s a Toshiba 6 series 1080p. Of course they are not cheap so … either way you get what you pay for.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

So if you have a 720p tv and the broadcast is 1080i what are you actually seeing in high def?

[/quote]

Your tv converts it to 720p. The same thing happens on a 1080p tv when the signal is 720p.

bpeck

[quote]jzzz wrote:
I’ve got a full hd 55 inch lcd and I love it

i got it from the good guys on special !

Where abouts in Aus are you from I suggest that you don’t shop at havery normans[/quote]

Near Canberra

Yeah good guys do have some good prices…BUT harvey Norman has the whole no deposit,interest free,no repayment thng every now and again. This works well for me because i aint exactly got $5000 in my back pocket :frowning:

I thought only 52 inch lcd’s were out here? i may go have a look at the 55 inch lcd. Im open minded. I dont HATE lcd,its just from experience from other people’s lcd’s that plasma has always had em beat in picture quality.The blurryness drives me crazy.