T Nation

Full High Def Plasma

Im finally going to buy a Plasma tv.Im not a fan of LCD’S(just dont like the look of them)

My question is im wondering if i should get the full high def plasma .Now the plasma with built in tuner (non full high def) are around $1000 cheaper over here.

What is the main difference in picture quality? Now i know about the full high def having more pixels etc etc but i am not like some people who have to have the best of everything.I just want to watch my favourite tv shows and play my PS3.My rear projection just doesnt cut it for me anymore.

What am i missing out on if i decide on the 1024x768 instead of the 1920x1080. Is the picture THAT much better?

Apparently it IS much better to go high def. For example when watching a football game or something, you can see every blade of grass on the field.

The difference between 1080p and 720p isn’t that huge. The difference between regular tv or and old projector vs HD is pretty spectacular. Playing PS3 on a Full HD projector is SWEET. They aren’t even all that expensive compared to a plasma. (IMO)

A full HD projector is on the top of my wish list for home cinema.

lol@ you having “Lotto winnings” and “New Plasma TV” as topics at the same time :slight_smile:

The more you watch high def the more you will be able to tell the difference between the 720 and 1080. After a while a 720 picture will look like low grade high hi def, which is what it is.

Plasma Screens are an outmoded technology. The picture is about the same on both the LCD and Plasma. But plasmas loose their glow and picture warmth in time. Plasma are prone to “ghosting” even with the best antighosting technology it will still happen. Plasmas are sensitive to being shocked through a drop or a hit. Plasmas also consume alot more power then a LCD screen.

All in all LCD screens are a superior technology and are replacing Plasma screens very rapidly. I can’t even but a Plasma screen almost anywhere around here.

LCD’s are superior like Gregus said.

And yes, get the high def. Then you can watch blu-ray and all that shit.

The way I see it, you rarely go out and buy a TV so you might as well get the one that won’t become obsolete soon. After playing some PS3 games on a normal TV and going to high def, the difference is massive.

It is my understanding that very little content is 1080P with the exception being Bluray.

Most Hi def cable is broadcast in 720P.

PS3 plays Bluray though so you may want to consider it.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

The way I see it, you rarely go out and buy a TV so you might as well get the one that won’t become obsolete soon. After playing some PS3 games on a normal TV and going to high def, the difference is massive.[/quote]

Neither is superior. If lcd was that much better, plasmas would be dying out.

Plasmas have better black levels period, and NO ghosting, at least on quality ones. I’ve never seen a plasma ghost. LCDs on the other hand do, although its mostly corrected now.

If you plan on watching a lot of movies or dark tv shows, get a plasma. The blacks are the truest and if you get an lcd, they will appear grey in comparison. I have a samsung ln40a650. When I got it, it was THE top of the line tv. There might be something else better now, but you’d have to pay a lot for it (well over 2000 for a 40"). Point is, my high end lcd cannot match the black levels of an older plasma with only a 10,000 contrast ratio (my tv is 50:000).

If you intend to use it for internet as well, then go with an lcd to avoid burn in, even though thats not as big of a deal on plasmas now, its still an issue.

You need to figure out what you’ll be using the tv for and then pick which technology suits your needs, not the other way around.

If power consumption is THAT high on the priority list and you can’t pay your electric bills, then you probably don’t need an hdtv right now anyways.

IMO LCD’s are NOT superior. Plasma’s can produce a FAR deeper black, and don’t “fade” for a stupid long amount of time. Unless you plan to keep your TV on for years on end, 24/7, you will not notice this “fade.”

All in all,I would say go LCD for smaller sets and Plasma for bigger sets. I have a full HD panasonic viera 42" plasma, it’s very good, although if I’d had more money, I would’ve went for a Kuro (also plasma). On the other hand, I would’ve chosen LCD for a 30" and below.

As for HD ready vs Full HD. Will you only be watching HD, or both? On a full HD television set, regular (non-HD) signals look f*cking awful. If you’re going to be watching both types of broadcasting, go with HD-ready (720p). You may not notice the difference in HD quality at all (if you’re a gamer for example), because games tend to be 720. I, on the other hand, play games, watch movies/series in HD, etc, so for me Full was the better choice.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

The way I see it, you rarely go out and buy a TV so you might as well get the one that won’t become obsolete soon. After playing some PS3 games on a normal TV and going to high def, the difference is massive.

Plasmas have better black levels period, and NO ghosting, at least on quality ones. I’ve never seen a plasma ghost. LCDs on the other hand do, although its mostly corrected now.

If you plan on watching a lot of movies or dark tv shows, get a plasma. The blacks are the truest and if you get an lcd, they will appear grey in comparison. I have a samsung ln40a650. When I got it, it was THE top of the line tv. There might be something else better now, but you’d have to pay a lot for it (well over 2000 for a 40"). Point is, my high end lcd cannot match the black levels of an older plasma with only a 10,000 contrast ratio (my tv is 50:000).

If you intend to use it for internet as well, then go with an lcd to avoid burn in, even though thats not as big of a deal on plasmas now, its still an issue.

You need to figure out what you’ll be using the tv for and then pick which technology suits your needs, not the other way around.

If power consumption is THAT high on the priority list and you can’t pay your electric bills, then you probably don’t need an hdtv right now anyways. [/quote]

Well said.

The really high-end LCD’s are now LED backlit so you will experience very deep and rich black levels, if you are willing to spend £3200 for a 46". Personally, I prefer LCD’s because I do occasionally use mine for internet and it performs well in all departments. The only thing I can think of against Plasma’s is they use gas, if you get a dead pixel or 2 on an LCD it’s not the end of the world, however this is not the case with Plasma’s.

Regardless, get yourself full HD - you are only future proofing yourself by doing so. Yes, the quality is that much better but by not having HD I imagine you are cutting yourself off from future servies that may arise with the technology.

The larger the screen the bigger the difference in picture quality. Anything over 40 inches go for the 1080p, you won’t be sorry.

hardgnr wrote:

If power consumption is THAT high on the priority list and you can’t pay your electric bills, then you probably don’t need an hdtv right now anyways. [/quote]

Plasmas do ghost, you even contradicted yourself in your own post.

We have a 50 Inch plasma in one room, a 50 inch Sony LCD Bravia XBR and 2 more 40 inch Sony Brawia’s LCD’s in other rooms.

Needless to say im a videophile and an audiophile and actually own alot of the equipment im talking about.

The new LCD’s are stunning and their refresh rate is exceptional. I only Buy Sony TV’s. IMO, when it comes to TV’s It’s Sony and then everyone else. Even Panasonic although good, is still second to sony.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
It is my understanding that very little content is 1080P with the exception being Bluray.

PS3 plays Bluray though so you may want to consider it. [/quote]

True but more and more programs are being aired with full 1080p. The difference in 720 and 1080 is really quite stunning. It’s like just when you thought it couldn’t get better it does. Same difference for 1080P and 1080I another marked difference in quality.

I have heard it all comes down to how far you are from your TV to even matter at all.

A typical 720P 42" screen will not look any different than a 42" 1080P if you are beyond 8 feet from the screen, as the human eye at that distance can not differentiate the pixel ratio.

So the comments before going go a larger screen would benefit if you are one of those GOT TO HAVE 1080p people and sit beyond 8 feet from the screen.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

If power consumption is THAT high on the priority list and you can’t pay your electric bills, then you probably don’t need an hdtv right now anyways.

We have a 50 Inch plasma in one room, a 50 inch Sony LCD Bravia XBR and 2 more 40 inch Sony Brawia’s LCD’s in other rooms.

Needless to say im a videophile and an audiophile and actually own alot of the equipment im talking about.

The new LCD’s are stunning and their refresh rate is exceptional. I only Buy Sony TV’s. IMO, when it comes to TV’s It’s Sony and then everyone else. Even Panasonic although good, is still second to sony.

[/quote]

When I say ghosting, I am talking about OLD plasmas. I own a 50" 720p panasonic plasma and there’s NO ghosting. Its about 3.5 years old, so its not new tech. I have not seen ANY plasma ghost that are recent (last year or two). Point one out to me if you can find one. If its Westinghouse, don’t bother. LCDs still have blur even though its gotten a hell of a lot better. Its your call and how anal you are about “quality.” Same reason why people still game w/ crts b/c of the hz (100-120hz) vs lcds (60z). Even I notice a difference, but it doesn’t make me go out and spend 600 on a 22" lcd 120hz pc monitor. If this guy is asking about 720p and 1080, he’s probably no videophile, as you claim to be.

That said, Plasma is really the best way to go for movies unless you need a 100" screen.

P.S.

I’d love to see your sony tv vs my Samsung. I bet if you took the bezel off and just looked at the panels, you couldn’t tell the difference. Sony isn’t THAT good and your panel isn’t that much better if at all unless you spent 8k on a tv and that’s in another league. Its top 3, but not always #1. When I bought my samsung, there wasn’t a sony out that was as good. Lower contrast, refresh rate, etc. Just didn’t match the sammy and the price was higher as well.

LCD’s are slowly taking over the TV market. They offer better characteristics at anything in the 60 and below inch range usually.

Producers of plasma are scaling back production and slowly turning toward LCD’s.

Go with the Hi Def LCD, they are amazing. I just got a bluray player also, it’s the shit. The picture is so clear and crisp.

I’ve got an LG tv, nothing but good things to say, probably one of the better purchases i’ve made. I’m a tv freak, i watch that shit 10 hours a day now that i’m unemployed :frowning:

The reason i asked was im going for a full high def 60 inch plasma by LG (dont hate on LG) :slight_smile:

Lcd have always seemed very blurry to me.the only lcd tv that looked any good to me was a 42 inch. Im not a fan of small tv’s at all.

I’ve got a full hd 55 inch lcd and I love it

i got it from the good guys on special !

Where abouts in Aus are you from I suggest that you don’t shop at havery normans

Gregus wrote:
Synthetickiller wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

When I say ghosting, I am talking about OLD plasmas. I own a 50" 720p panasonic plasma and there’s NO ghosting. Its about 3.5 years old, so its not new tech. I have not seen ANY plasma ghost that are recent (last year or two). Point one out to me if you can find one. If its Westinghouse, don’t bother. LCDs still have blur even though its gotten a hell of a lot better. Its your call and how anal you are about “quality.” Same reason why people still game w/ crts b/c of the hz (100-120hz) vs lcds (60z). Even I notice a difference, but it doesn’t make me go out and spend 600 on a 22" lcd 120hz pc monitor. If this guy is asking about 720p and 1080, he’s probably no videophile, as you claim to be.

That said, Plasma is really the best way to go for movies unless you need a 100" screen.

P.S.

I’d love to see your sony tv vs my Samsung. I bet if you took the bezel off and just looked at the panels, you couldn’t tell the difference. Sony isn’t THAT good and your panel isn’t that much better if at all unless you spent 8k on a tv and that’s in another league. Its top 3, but not always #1. When I bought my samsung, there wasn’t a sony out that was as good. Lower contrast, refresh rate, etc. Just didn’t match the sammy and the price was higher as well.[/quote]

Plasmas still ghost with enough time. But whether it will for you is dependent on what you always watch. So it is user dependent to a point. Put on CNN for 18 hours per day and you WILL burn in the cnn logo in time. Pixel rotation and all are just bandaid fixes to this technologies Achilles heel.

Sony Never publishes their real specs. They have 2-3 versions of the same TV lines. Their Wega series has about 3 models all being Wegas. One i have in a 40 Inch was 4K another $1500 in the same Wega 40inch LCD configurations. Marked difference between them. The 50 Wega XBR is about 6-8 K depending where you shop. It is another league, i agree. The screen processor can make even an old VHS tape and turn it into 720. Amazing TV. Full 1080I and 1080P. It’s Sony’s best.

You might want to keep waiting, plasma prices should prob continue falling.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Testy1 wrote:

PS3 plays Bluray though so you may want to consider it.

True but more and more programs are being aired with full 1080p. The difference in 720 and 1080 is really quite stunning. It’s like just when you thought it couldn’t get better it does. Same difference for 1080P and 1080I another marked difference in quality.
[/quote]

Other than the ABC family (ESPN/Disney) and Fox which are 720p the rest are mostly 1080i. See link.

The biggest difference between the 1080i from cable and the 1080p from bluray is the bitrate. On bluray discs movies are 24fps and tv shows are 30fps. Cable is 60fps. 1080i works by giving you half of the lines on each refresh so every second you would get 30 total full refreshes from 1080i at 60fps. If you do the math that is enough to give you every frame that a bluray has. The difference is that blurays are less compressed than cable.

The benefit of 720p is that it is refreshed twice as fast so it is better for fast moving action like sports. This really exhausts my knowledge on the subject. My tv is 1080p. I have not seen what a 720p picture looks like. I would think the larger you go the more benefit you would see from 1080p.

bpeck