Full Fat Milk, Healthy or Not?

Full fat milk, is it on the menu or not? (forget skimmed versions, they are junk)

There is so much conflicting evidence out there, and for some reason I feel guilty after drinking it even though I love it.

Anyone who can backup thier points with proper med studies aswell would be great.

MY goal at the moment is to drop body fat, want to shed about another 25lbs before I consider other things.

Why Is skim junk?

Why Is skim junk?

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
Why Is skim junk?[/quote]

Besides it’s see through and tastes like water ?

I believe you needs at least some fat so your body can absorb the vitamin D.

Also, we like fat around here, keeps those wonderful T levels where they should be.

I know. I take turns with whole and reduced and sometimes skim. Kinda of a feel thing.

OP if your main goal is to lose fat, you should try to not consume many liquid calories. A lot of the times just drinking only water is enough to drop a few lbs.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
OP if your main goal is to lose fat, you should try to not consume many liquid calories. A lot of the times just drinking only water is enough to drop a few lbs.[/quote]

I know an anorexic chick that got totally shredded like that./misinterpretation

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
OP if your main goal is to lose fat, you should try to not consume many liquid calories. A lot of the times just drinking only water is enough to drop a few lbs.

I know an anorexic chick that got totally shredded like that./misinterpretation[/quote]

are you trying to interpret that consuming milk, fruit juices, sodas would be a good idea for someone looking to lose fat? lulz

[quote]believedat wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

are you trying to interpret that consuming full milk, fruit juices, sodas, etc? would be a good idea for someone looking to lose fat? lulz[/quote]

Dude, you totally misinterpreted my misinterpretation.

Well played.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
believedat wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

are you trying to interpret that consuming full milk, fruit juices, sodas, etc? would be a good idea for someone looking to lose fat? lulz

Dude, you totally misinterpreted my misinterpretation.

Well played.[/quote]

indeed

I remember something that caught my attention in “In Defense of Food,” (Michael Pollan) was that Milk loses most of its vitamins and minerals when they remove that fat. Just a thought…

Its a great book for anyone that hasn’t read it.

Fuck skim milk. I’m going to be drinking a gallon of grass fed raw milk a day until my arms are 17 inches!!!

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Fuck skim milk. I’m going to be drinking a gallon of grass fed raw milk a day until my arms are 17 inches!!![/quote]

not to highjack the thread, but what ever happened to the whole “raw milk gives you TB” thing. whats with the raw milk craze. I’d rather have mine pasteurized

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
sevenmoist wrote:
Why Is skim junk?

Besides it’s see through and tastes like water ?

I believe you needs at least some fat so your body can absorb the vitamin D.

Also, we like fat around here, keeps those wonderful T levels where they should be.[/quote]

Vitamin D is absorbed using bile salts, not fat. Plus you can make enought vitamin D just by being in the sun. I think that the better way to assess the kind of milk that you buy is what your nutritional goals are. Do you want fat in your diet or not? Do you want to get your fat from milk or something else?

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Fuck skim milk. I’m going to be drinking a gallon of grass fed raw milk a day until my arms are 17 inches!!![/quote]

Not to shit on your parade…

But raw grass fed milk is like 4 times the price of regular pasutrized homogenized milk. (where I live at least). Furthermore its illegal in most of north america, unless you buy cow shares.

While full fat grass fed raw milk would be nice due to its fatty acid profile and general organic status, homogenized milk has the same number of calories and if you’re looking to put on mass, the above mentioned perks of raw milk are negligible.

I don’t know if this stuff is any good, because I can’t find it around where I live. But supposedly it has reduced sugar (carb) content, and increased protein content. I’d give it a try if I could find it.

http://www.hphood.com/products/prodList.aspx?id=575

[quote]kindke wrote:
Full fat milk, is it on the menu or not? (forget skimmed versions, they are junk)

There is so much conflicting evidence out there, and for some reason I feel guilty after drinking it even though I love it.

Anyone who can backup thier points with proper med studies aswell would be great.

MY goal at the moment is to drop body fat, want to shed about another 25lbs before I consider other things. [/quote]

[quote]fatInIC wrote:
I don’t know if this stuff is any good, because I can’t find it around where I live. But supposedly it has reduced sugar (carb) content, and increased protein content. I’d give it a try if I could find it.

http://www.hphood.com/products/prodList.aspx?id=575
[/quote]

Good stuff there…chocolate=THE WIN. Too bad i aint been able to get any since i moved.

Full fat milk is between 3.5% and 4%. Read up on the stats on milk, lots of info online.

I’m doing 2% myself for shakes, or anything else that I drink. Dropping down to 1% is not worth it for me. The nutrition numbers are very close between the 1 and 2% product.

Skim is like drinking watered down flour for all the taste it lacks. I think that little matters unless you’re drinking a quart or more a day.

Bob

I have spent a lot of time looking for research on saturated fat, which is abundant in full-fat dairy products like milk. Cheese, cream, and butter are some of my favorite foods, and I would eat a ton of them if there were no negative health effects.

In my digging around, I didn’t find any convincing links of saturated fat all by itself to heart disease. However, I did find that there is a robust effect of insulin resistance for diets high in saturated fat. In fact, when researchers want to study insulin resistance, they use a standard high-saturated fat diet to induce insulin resistance. I’m not 100% confident that this effect is true of dairy products because in some of the studies, the saturated fat that was used was hydrogenated coconut oil.

Also, diets high in full-fat dairy products are said to contribute to inflammation because COX and 5-LOX enzymes convert arachidonic acid to inflammatory compounds.

I think the insulin thing has a lot to do with the whole P+C and P+F meals.

I mean, if you take in a litre of full milk, thats some where in the realm of 608 cals.
32g fat, 32g protein, 48g carbs. which is a 47.3/21.1/31.6 ratio break down.

since you are combining a lot of carbs and fats in one liquid meal, your gonna get a large insulin response.

could be wrong though. shrugs
and it isn’t gonna stop me from drinking my whole milk.

I’m curious as to the nature of non-instant milk. I can get non-instant whole milk from a bulk store near where I live. It’s exactly the same as regular milk, cept in powder form.

would there be a difference between drinking one over the other?

I’m curious, cause with the powder I can adjust the ratio and cram a 4L into just 1L. makes drinking that much milk so much easier.