Full Extension Isometric Holds

Has anybody tried these to good effect?

I’m thinking of using a lighter weight than work weight on squats and holding it at the bottom for 10-15 seconds. Like a paused squat, but longer. I’m thinking it will do something a little different than box squats which seem to be an all or nothing movement for me. I either get it or I don’t and they don’t seem to have any great effect for me in the hole. Not as much as band work does, even.

Do you mean isometric holds in the stretch range? If so, I definitely think it’s a good idea. For strength, I’d recommend not exceeding about 12 seconds on the hold. I generally either do a 9 second hold or a 5 second hold.

Just be careful with the weight you use because if you are not accustomed to being in that squatted position long, it can be rough on your knees

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Do you mean isometric holds in the stretch range? If so, I definitely think it’s a good idea. For strength, I’d recommend not exceeding about 12 seconds on the hold. I generally either do a 9 second hold or a 5 second hold.[/quote]

Exactly.

I was thinking something like 80% of current 3RM and not worrying whether it goes back up or not.

Honest question: why the 12 second rule? Too taxing on CNS?

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
Just be careful with the weight you use because if you are not accustomed to being in that squatted position long, it can be rough on your knees[/quote]

I squat wide stance. I’d be trying to target the glutes/hams and adductors with this. I regularly do Anderson squats and 1-sec paused squats - so I think I’ll be okay. Thanks for your concern though, seriously.

I did paused squats for a while, doing a 5 second pause in the hole, as an accessory movement. I grew to hate them quickly, but they definitely helped with flexibility and power out of the hole.

They are definitely different than a box squat, but what are you trying to accomplish with a 15s hold?

isnt this in the beast building thing, tons of isometrics, the logs i followed they got alot of strength gains from them

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
I did paused squats for a while, doing a 5 second pause in the hole, as an accessory movement. I grew to hate them quickly, but they definitely helped with flexibility and power out of the hole.

They are definitely different than a box squat, but what are you trying to accomplish with a 15s hold?[/quote]

Doesn’t a longer hold make more of a man out of you?

Seriously, 15 sec was probably an overestimation of what one can actually do. The 5-10 sec pause seems more reasonable.

What sort of poundages were you using relative to 1RM?

[quote]bignate wrote:
isnt this in the beast building thing, tons of isometrics, the logs i followed they got alot of strength gains from them[/quote]

Well that did spark my question, though I’m not doing that program, good as it looks.

In my experience, holds longer than 12-15 seconds limit the load you can use. No reason you couldn’t use slightly longer holds, especially if you’re looking for hypertrophy too.

Also, for glutes and hams, try ISO Romanian deadlifts at about knee height, and ISO glute-ham raises in the extended position.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
In my experience, holds longer than 12-15 seconds limit the load you can use. No reason you couldn’t use slightly longer holds, especially if you’re looking for hypertrophy too.

Also, for glutes and hams, try ISO Romanian deadlifts at about knee height, and ISO glute-ham raises in the extended position.[/quote]

Good suggestions. Thank you.