T Nation

Full Clean Form Check

Was it a good formed attempt at it? The Weight is 165, my bodyweight 150. I suck at power cleans…

What should I do to get better? Like getting low and racking it…

You need to set your back before you come off the floor. That is the first and most important thing right now.

oh ok thanks.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean get a tight back with an upright chest?

There are some videos on California Strength and describe in detail how to set your your back for the first pull. I suggest you go there and watch those over and over.

Basically, arch your back, maintain that tightness, tense the hamstrings and hips, then use the legs to lift the bar off the floor.

I tried to work on my form, with more extension of the hips and stuff, but I am getting less lift on the bar than ever. How is a full body shrug generate more power than an explosive jump shrug

Yeah, if I was you I would get some hands on coaching if you can. If not, do what olylifter said. There isn’t just tweaking that needs to be done. You need to learn the lift from the very beginning. No weight. Maybe just a broom stick.

Start there and get yourself a good foundation.

My form is THAT bad? I just keep getting bogged down when reading how to to the technique online. All this triple extension bull shit and now I see guys who argue the triple extension is bunk and the catapult technique is better AH its a lot of shit to wade through

[quote]sethboss wrote:
My form is THAT bad? I just keep getting bogged down when reading how to to the technique online. All this triple extension bull shit and now I see guys who argue the triple extension is bunk and the catapult technique is better AH its a lot of shit to wade through[/quote]

Don’t worry about all that stuff. Just find a coach. Or, if you can’t find a coach, go to California strengths website and look for their clean progression videos (these are Glenn Pendlay’s videos) and just go through them with following along with just a bar or broomstick. Take video of yourself and look at it right away and go do it again (and again…)

There’s nothing wrong with having to learn the lifts or needing a coach. It takes time to learn the technique but it will come :slight_smile:

You can get better technique a lot quicker with a coach so that is definitely the best route if you can.

Power Clean =/= (does not equal) Full Clean. Yea start from the beginning. Watch Cal strength videos and stop reading about how you should be triple extending or jump shrugging or whatever else. Thinking and reading too much isn’t going to help you, watch videos and replicate as best as possible. Then take another video of yourself and compare.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]sethboss wrote:
My form is THAT bad? I just keep getting bogged down when reading how to to the technique online. All this triple extension bull shit and now I see guys who argue the triple extension is bunk and the catapult technique is better AH its a lot of shit to wade through[/quote]

Don’t worry about all that stuff. Just find a coach. Or, if you can’t find a coach, go to California strengths website and look for their clean progression videos (these are Glenn Pendlay’s videos) and just go through them with following along with just a bar or broomstick. Take video of yourself and look at it right away and go do it again (and again…)

There’s nothing wrong with having to learn the lifts or needing a coach. It takes time to learn the technique but it will come :slight_smile:

You can get better technique a lot quicker with a coach so that is definitely the best route if you can.[/quote]

^^^^Agree with this 110%!!!^^^

Don’t overload yourself with information on learning the lifts. There are different styles for different people. As we have told you, get a coach (look up USAWeightlifting and find LWC near you and CALL them for a club/coach). If too far, go anyways, even if only once a week or so. This will help you more than you know!!

There’s a case to be made that even starting with a broomstick is too far in advance of the OP’s current capabilities, at least in terms of flexibility. The progression should probably be: (1) Mobility work, (2) broomstick technique work, and (3) slowly adding weight. There’s a great of tightness / inflexibility in the posterior chain that should be addressed before even loading the joints.