Full Body vs Split Training?

it depends on goals, and the bodytype your after, as well as how much free time you have, I quite often go back to TBT, when I want to lean out a bit. 20rep squats followed by a basic exercise for each body area 3xweek will speed up your met. and burn fat, goodluck

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Ian King Came and went on this site pretty quick. Wonder why that is/was?[/quote]

yeah I’ve always wondered that too[/quote]

I wouldn’t say it was THAT quick.

He contributed articles from 1999 - 2005 and then his training tips up through 2007.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Ian King Came and went on this site pretty quick. Wonder why that is/was?[/quote]

He contributed articles from 1999 - 2005 and then his training tips up through 2007.[/quote]

it wasn’t so much the speed of his departure, more just the departure in general

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:

He contributed articles from 1999 - 2005 and then his training tips up through 2007.[/quote]

it wasn’t so much the speed of his departure, more just the departure in general[/quote]
Exactly. I bet there is a bunch in the fitness industry that would raise eyebrows.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I liked Alwyn’s stuff better when Ian King wrote it.[/quote]

I admit that I’m not cool or smart enough to get that.[/quote]

King says that he ripped off his stuff and sold it as his own.

Did a whole presentation to make his point, in fact.[/quote]

I see. That’s bad juju.

While I certainly don’t condone plagiarism, that little bit of history didn’t make the training any less effective.

However, now I feel … dirty[/quote]

Lemme guess; and you wanna be spanked?[/quote]

Welll, ya!! Duh!

(1) Honestly one should not use their lifting program for “cutting”… lifting is to increase muscle mass, strength and power… and to at least maintain these when trying to drop fat. Fat loss should be a matter of diet and energy systems work. YES lifting contributes to making you leaner… but you should not design a lifting program as a main fat loss tool.

(2) The training split, IMHO, is one of the least important parameter of your training. The best training split depends on how you train. The split you chose should be the one that allows you to get the most quality work during the week as possible.

So we can say the following:

a) In a full body split you cannot really go really hard on any movement because you have the hit the whole body, which is very neurally draining. This is why you must train at a high frequency for whole-body training to work: you have to compensate the lack of daily volume for each major muscle group with increased frequency of stimulation.

b) In a full body split, some exercises are always trained in a state of either lowered focus or energy. It’s not just a fatigue thing… I find my own focus drastically reduced if I train more than an hour, so the work done after that mark will always suffer. In my book, any work done less than optimally is more negative than positive since it uses up tons of ressurces without much added stimulation.

c) With bodypart splits the main issue is that you only get one main stimulation per week for each muscle group. If for some reason you are not focused, lack energy ror simply have a bad workout you will not have another growth opportunity for a whole week.

d) I also feel that body part splits facilitate excessive volume and exercise use. We want to make sure that we get enough stimulation (since it’s our only chance this week) and can end up doing too much work… physical work doesn’t only cause local fatigue, it causes systemic fatigue… and doing too much work on a day might negatively affect your overall performance on the other days as well as your capacity to recover and grow.

(3) I personally feel that the best frequency to hit a muscle group (directly or indirectly) is twice per week. This allows you to train very hard while still getting more than one chance to make a muscle grow during the week.

Not to question you CT, but I generaly use a 2day split hitting everything twice a week(4workouts) once and a while I will flip back to fullbody traing, based around 20rep squats 3xweek, around an hour each workout. Even if I don’t change anything else, I always lean out a little, I ridgetly chart everything, so I always figured it was my met. being sped up, I don’t do it for this reason, I’m just training with someone showing them this system. I don’t train as a BBer more like an over the hill athlete, so my heart rate and breathing are elevated more on whole body training, just wondering your thoughts. Thks

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Not to question you CT, but I generaly use a 2day split hitting everything twice a week(4workouts) once and a while I will flip back to fullbody traing, based around 20rep squats 3xweek, around an hour each workout. Even if I don’t change anything else, I always lean out a little, I ridgetly chart everything, so I always figured it was my met. being sped up, I don’t do it for this reason, I’m just training with someone showing them this system. I don’t train as a BBer more like an over the hill athlete, so my heart rate and breathing are elevated more on whole body training, just wondering your thoughts. Thks[/quote]

This is not questioning me since you hit everything twice a week, which is what I said works best for gaining muscle.

I do not dispute that a whole body approach can help you get a tad leaner, after all it has a greater overall energy expenditure (which is actually one of the reasons why I do not feel that whole body training is best for adding size). I was just saying that I’m against people who design lifting program as fat loss programs instead of muscle growth/strength programs… I also said that the lifting program DOES contribute to losing fat (it does so 3 different ways… energy expenditure, improving muscle sensitivity to insulin, creating an hormonal minileu favorable to losing fat).

Yes, some style of lifting might have a slightly larger effect, but one should still ift for improved performance, strength and muscle mass.

Thanks CT, I’ve always believed in the basics, with my clients, your one of the few I really listen to about the science of our sport, you make it realitive. Thks

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
I liked Alwyn’s stuff better when Ian King wrote it.[/quote]

I liked Alwyn’s stuff better when Lyle wrote it.