Full Body Training Doesn't Work?

this is what i look like after 2 months of it. am i the second coming of jay cutler? not even close. but i am doing this naturally and with, obviously, average (at the very best) genetics. my main motivation for posting these, by the way, comes from the many calls for photos (from, ironically, people with no photos) i read in the “my take on full-body training” thread. so, go ahead T-Nation, discuss and critique (and, of course, what i really mean is, proceed directly to tearing me apart.)

v is for vendetta

This thread is going places, lol

Dude, of course TBT IS effective and called for in some situations. It depends on the experience and goal of the trainee.

Yeah… what did you look like before? Without those pics your statement is kind of pointless…

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Yeah… what did you look like before? Without those pics your statement is kind of pointless…[/quote]

Those are the before’s no?

So…you joined this site 4 years ago and you still look like this? I’m not sure what you want us to say…congrats?

I don’t understand the point of this thread. Mainly because it makes no point. If this were an essay, you’d receive bad marks on it because you failed to include your thesis statement.

And also, I have NO intention of ripping you apart as you predict others will. And I don’t have any intention of being rude, so I’m saying this is the most objective, professional way: you have what nearly all people will say is a “good body”, but you’re NOT big… YET (I’m assuming you’re dedicated and this is what your goal is, or at least getting bigGER).

When you start getting bigger and stronger, you might start to feel that total body training is extremely draining and that because of your increased poundages, you don’t even have time within the workout to warm up for your big lifts. Just something to think about.

But again, it’s about goals and situations.

I’m fairly advanced and had to scale my training back to two full-body workouts per week when following the Rapid Fat Loss Diet.

again, calls for pics from someone with no pics. these are actually the first photos i’ve ever taken… i was in a rare mood this past friday night, what can i say? i’ll get the ball rolling and say that my chest is obviously lacking. i mean, i’m a small guy anyway, so, i’m sure many of you will think that everything is “obviously lacking”… but i mean, proportionately speaking. i was thinking of switching to a 2-way split, and even performed the first workout of it today…

but, honestly, i was in the gym twice as long and only worked half as much muscle. and, i know this is going to sound totally subjective and vague, but i didn’t feel like i did “enough” while i was there…

hopefully these feelings go away, though, as i’m planning to work my way toward a 6 day split, over the course of the next 10 months, and to document my progress, with photos, right here along the way. perhaps this little experiment will shed some sort of light on the seemingly endless training split debate. by the way, i’d planned on shaving up for these, but decided to watch the mentalist instead.

Joe,

If you read my post above, you might see why you feel like you “didn’t do enough”; that is, you feel that you didn’t do enough because you’re relatively weak (not an insult). If you were at the point where you were you were squatting and deadlifting over 315, benching over 225, and chinning with over 25 pounds strapped to yor waist, you wouldn’t feel like that… at all! You might feel drained and wiped.

to answer a few of the questions: no these are the AFTERS. no, i’m not looking for congratulations, but rather CONSTRUCTIVE criticism… and i’m not really sure what was meant by the “still look like this” comment… if that’s you in your photo, then i applaud you, sir. but you’re not exactly the second coming of jay cutler either… just sayin’.

[quote]joe shumsky wrote:
again, calls for pics from someone with no pics. these are actually the first photos i’ve ever taken… i was in a rare mood this past friday night, what can i say? i’ll get the ball rolling and say that my chest is obviously lacking. i mean, i’m a small guy anyway, so, i’m sure many of you will think that everything is “obviously lacking”… but i mean, proportionately speaking. i was thinking of switching to a 2-way split, and even performed the first workout of it today…

but, honestly, i was in the gym twice as long and only worked half as much muscle. and, i know this is going to sound totally subjective and vague, but i didn’t feel like i did “enough” while i was there…

hopefully these feelings go away, though, as i’m planning to work my way toward a 6 day split, over the course of the next 10 months, and to document my progress, with photos, right here along the way. perhaps this little experiment will shed some sort of light on the seemingly endless training split debate. by the way, i’d planned on shaving up for these, but decided to watch the mentalist instead. [/quote]

Good on you that you’ve decided to start the long journey of training and trying to hold yourself accountable. But I fear this thread could spark another meaningless debate, which this forum needs like I need herpes, especially when trying to use one person’s results as the determining factor for the efficacy of anything.

If your intention is to track your progress then make a log, but keep the mentality of “full body vs split” out of the whole situation.

to answer a few of the questions: no these are the AFTERS.[/quote]

My bad, I thought you were going to post other pics based on your first post & the thread title.

this is what i look like after 2 months of it. am i the second coming of jay cutler? not even close. but i am doing this naturally and with, obviously, average (at the very best) genetics. my main motivation for posting these, by the way, comes from the many calls for photos (from, ironically, people with no photos) i read in the “my take on full-body training” thread. so, go ahead T-Nation, discuss and critique (and, of course, what i really mean is, proceed directly to tearing me apart.)[/quote]

I have no desire to tear you apart…but if you think your development somehow means more people should be doing full body workouts, I am thinking you are not aware of how much beyond where you are lie the goals of many here.

You are in good shape, but you have quite a ways to go to be “big” and unless the goal of bodybuilding is now look like the guys on the covers of packs of underwear at Wal-Mart, the title of this thread makes me wonder why you felt the need to post the way you did.

The choice of TBT, 2 way split, 6 way split or other will have less impact on your future success, or lack thereof, than the eating piece of the equation.

And, the ‘look at me after 2 months of TBT’ was silly.

You’re small and lean, which is pretty much exactly the body type people say you are most likely to achieve with TBT when the argument comes up. So the only point you tried to make(that TBT works fine for building muscle?), you actually made the best counter point for.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
joe shumsky wrote:
to answer a few of the questions: no these are the AFTERS.

My bad, I thought you were going to post other pics based on your first post & the thread title.

[/quote]

I am much more interested in why guys lately are so proud simply because their abs are showing. I am not knocking this guy’s efforts or even his goals…but it surprises me that so many seem to log into either the bodybuilding forum or rate My Physique thinking being ripped is all there is to this…as if the big muscles that take years to build are an after thought.

[quote]giterdone wrote:
The choice of TBT, 2 way split, 6 way split or other will have less impact on your future success, or lack thereof, than the eating piece of the equation.

And, the ‘look at me after 2 months of TBT’ was silly.[/quote]

He has also not mentioned exactly what he has gained in only 2 months.

Unless someone is DIETING, expecting much visible progress in only two months make little sense as far as muscle gains unless you are a rank beginner…and if you are one, speaking on how much better one program works than another makes even less sense because you haven’t had enough time to show any difference between them.

What was the routine? Similar to CWs?

I made good gains in the past 2 months or so on TBT (very modified), but it’s coming to the point where I just can’t recover from my workouts. And deadlifting or squatting before everything else just makes it feel like I can’t give it 100% on everything else.

It’s great for people that don’t move that much weight.