Full Body, The Way to Go?

I’ve been working out for two years on and off, recently my lifts have reached a plateau and I’m thinking about doing a basic fullbody routine consisting of pullups/benching and squats or deadlifts. Each workout I would do one lift at around 60% for 6x3, to develop speed. Good way to break a plateau?

Are you trying to add size?

If so, I would just eat more to break through a plateau.

A change in your workouts when hitting the ceiling is typically a good idea.

I’m doing that right now too!

i’d think that 6x3 would give me to strength gains then speed; unless your doing light light weight.

5x5 and Riptoes are both good total body workouts; look’m up!

RSGZ…is that a myspace photo?

tisk tisk.

Yea I was thinking of a modified Bill Starr routine where I would do 5x5 for two lifts and 6x3 @60% for one of the lifts and I’ll add in maybe 2-3 accessory lifts.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
RSGZ…is that a myspace photo?

tisk tisk.[/quote]

Ha!

I need to buy a real camera. Soon. :slight_smile:

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Yea I was thinking of a modified Bill Starr routine where I would do 5x5 for two lifts and 6x3 @60% for one of the lifts and I’ll add in maybe 2-3 accessory lifts. [/quote]

The Bill Starr program worked pretty well for me as is, you don’t have to monkey with a lot of these programs to get them to work well.

That’s party of the reason they’ve been around for a while.

well, you should first assess your current program:

what training modality (if any) were you using? were your goals strength? speed? size? what are your goals now?

it seems you would like to get stronger.

i believe that pullups squats and deadlifts are brilliant and I am certainly not alone in saying that. i would probably substitute dips for benchpress, IMO, because chances are youve been dipping less than you have been benching, havent you? tsk,tsk.

What lifts have you plateaued in? If you have plateaued in the benchpress, then perhaps you should stop benching for a month, substitute for inclines/declines/dumbbells/ and DIPS. perhaps your weakness in the bench lies in your deltoids. In that case, shoulder work is in order.

If all of your lifts have stuck, then your idea of working on speed (which i believe we should be calling explosiveness) is a good one, because I believe that increase the explosive power of my lifts has done me good

in that case, think of doing some powerlifting-type movements. one-arm snatches and clean and presses were the best addition to my routine, easily increased all of my other compound pressing lifts

as far as for back/posterior chain. try snatch-deads for power and front squats as well. i was sticking in my back squat, went to front squat for the first time, and havent gone back (yet)…

basically i believe we need more info about your past, present and future intentions to offer advice on moving ahead…

There can be plenty other reasons why you plateaued, some plateaus you just need to focus and push through. If that minor change refocuses you then go for it otherwise you may want to recheck what you’ve been doing the past few months

[quote]Mondy wrote:
I’ve been working out for two years on and off, recently my lifts have reached a plateau and I’m thinking about doing a basic fullbody routine consisting of pullups/benching and squats or deadlifts. Each workout I would do one lift at around 60% for 6x3, to develop speed. Good way to break a plateau?
[/quote]

One lift per workout? That… doesn’t seem like it’d be enough volume.

I’m more of the mind to make small changes on the program that’s already getting you strong, adding more accessory work to deal with sticking points than overhauling a good program. That’s just me, and I may have misunderstood your problem.

[quote]Poetikaal wrote:
well, you should first assess your current program:

what training modality (if any) were you using? were your goals strength? speed? size? what are your goals now?

it seems you would like to get stronger.

i believe that pullups squats and deadlifts are brilliant and I am certainly not alone in saying that. i would probably substitute dips for benchpress, IMO, because chances are youve been dipping less than you have been benching, havent you? tsk,tsk.

I actually do dips every single workout for the past few months.

What lifts have you plateaued in? If you have plateaued in the benchpress, then perhaps you should stop benching for a month, substitute for inclines/declines/dumbbells/ and DIPS. perhaps your weakness in the bench lies in your deltoids. In that case, shoulder work is in order.

My DB shoulder press is nearly the same as my DB flat bench, I think my shoulder are overpowering.

If all of your lifts have stuck, then your idea of working on speed (which i believe we should be calling explosiveness) is a good one, because I believe that increase the explosive power of my lifts has done me good

That’s why I plan to do a speed lift each session, alternating between bench, rows, squats or deadlifts. This also makes it easier on my joints since the load will be lower.

in that case, think of doing some powerlifting-type movements. one-arm snatches and clean and presses were the best addition to my routine, easily increased all of my other compound pressing lifts

I’m considering adding 2-3 other exercises as I see needed. Like one leg squats for knee stability or some barbell rollouts for core stability.

as far as for back/posterior chain. try snatch-deads for power and front squats as well. i was sticking in my back squat, went to front squat for the first time, and havent gone back (yet)…

basically i believe we need more info about your past, present and future intentions to offer advice on moving ahead…[/quote]

You could check out the log I just started at http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/shotgun_method_log

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Mondy wrote:
Yea I was thinking of a modified Bill Starr routine where I would do 5x5 for two lifts and 6x3 @60% for one of the lifts and I’ll add in maybe 2-3 accessory lifts.

The Bill Starr program worked pretty well for me as is, you don’t have to monkey with a lot of these programs to get them to work well.

That’s party of the reason they’ve been around for a while.
[/quote]

I’ve read that powerlifters use it to increase their deadlift with box squats, so I want to give this a try. I have a question about including box squats, do you pause at the bench for a split second, or do you explode off of the bench when you feel it? and since I havent squatted in quite some time, I’m sure these squats would help out. One more thing, what height should I use? above parallel boxes? Sorry if the post is confusing and stuff, I’m really burned out from school and I can’t think right now.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Mondy wrote:

One lift per workout? That… doesn’t seem like it’d be enough volume.

I’m more of the mind to make small changes on the program that’s already getting you strong, adding more accessory work to deal with sticking points than overhauling a good program. That’s just me, and I may have misunderstood your problem.[/quote]

Oh I’m doing three lifts: bench, pullup, squat or deadlift. ONE of three lifts is going to be 6x3 @60%, and of course I alternate this. The reason I’m starting this routine is because my progress has stalled on my old routine.

Why would you do sets of 3 with only 60% of your max? Seems like you are just going to lose strength and size.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
Why would you do sets of 3 with only 60% of your max? Seems like you are just going to lose strength and size. [/quote]

I’m trying to develop speed strength and accelerate as quickly as I can. I based this on the westside ME and speed day concept.

[quote]Mondy wrote:
chitown34 wrote:
Why would you do sets of 3 with only 60% of your max? Seems like you are just going to lose strength and size.

I’m trying to develop speed strength and accelerate as quickly as I can. I based this on the westside ME and speed day concept.[/quote]

Yeah, but you forgot that the ME part of the equation is kind of critical to the program’s success. If you’ve been doing the same routine for 1-2 years then definitely make some changes. You could certainly try your plan and do all speed work. It might be more of a de-loading phase than you anticipate but that might be what your body needs. Do it for a week or two and then re-test your 1 rep maxes.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Mondy wrote:
chitown34 wrote:

I’m trying to develop speed strength and accelerate as quickly as I can. I based this on the westside ME and speed day concept.

Yeah, but you forgot that the ME part of the equation is kind of critical to the program’s success. If you’ve been doing the same routine for 1-2 years then definitely make some changes. You could certainly try your plan and do all speed work. It might be more of a de-loading phase than you anticipate but that might be what your body needs. Do it for a week or two and then re-test your 1 rep maxes. [/quote]

I think your reading what he said wrong, it took me a second to decipher also.
He’s not going to do ALL speed work. Just each cycle one exercise per workout per week to sets of 3@60%. for example
monday bench 5x5, wednesday bench - speed work.

I think the speedwork can definitely help for strength, but as someone else said I think a little more volume or some other way to change intensity would help more(depending on how many sets your doing for the speed work).

I’m back to basics, doing a total body program 3x per week until I build enough muscle to go back to a upper/lower split.

I think after I cut and bulk a second time, I’ll have enough mass to warrant a traditional split routine.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Kruiser wrote:
Mondy wrote:
chitown34 wrote:

Yeah, but you forgot that the ME part of the equation is kind of critical to the program’s success. If you’ve been doing the same routine for 1-2 years then definitely make some changes. You could certainly try your plan and do all speed work. It might be more of a de-loading phase than you anticipate but that might be what your body needs. Do it for a week or two and then re-test your 1 rep maxes.

I think your reading what he said wrong, it took me a second to decipher also.
He’s not going to do ALL speed work. Just each cycle one exercise per workout per week to sets of 3@60%. for example
monday bench 5x5, wednesday bench - speed work.

I think the speedwork can definitely help for strength, but as someone else said I think a little more volume or some other way to change intensity would help more(depending on how many sets your doing for the speed work).[/quote]

Yes this is exactly what I’m trying to do.