Full Body Template for Beginner

Looking for any feedback on the following routine. Some context:

• I’m 155 lb, 31 years old
  • I’m a busy dad/guy, so I generally only have an hour to get work done at the gym, 3 days a week during my lunch break
  • My first athletic love is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which I still do 2x / week. I would do it 5x a week but the timing doesn’t work out since fatherhood.
  • I started with Starting Strength and kept at it until I had to reset a few times. I figured it was time to look into a new routine, which led me to 5/3/1
  • I’ve included power cleans because I find them very fun

Current Training Maxes:
Press: 1x105
Bench: 1x145
Squat: 1x240
Deadlift: 1x230
Power clean: 1x105

Proposed program:

Full Body Training,
Phase 2 (since I’m used to squatting 3x/week already)

Day 1:

• Squat: 5/3/1 sets and reps, supplemented with first set last
  • Dips: BWx3x10
  • Power Clean: 3x5

Day 2:

• Squat: Week 1’s progression x 3 reps
  • Bench: 5/3/1 sets and reps, supplemented with first set last
  • Chins: BWx3xAMRAP

Day 3:

• Deadlift: 5/3/1 sets and reps, supplemented with first set last
  • Press: 5/3/1 sets and reps, supplemented with first set last
  • Chins: BWx3xAMRAP

My main question: am I choosing the right assistance exercises? I find it hard to fit all of this in during an hour routine (including warm up).

Day One

Squat - 5/3/1
Power Clean - SSF x 5 sets @ 3’s Pro
Bench Press - 5/3/1 + 1xFSL

Day Two

Squat - 5x5, FSL
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Dips x 100

Day Three

Squat - work up to TM x 1-5
Press - 5/3/1 + 1xFSL
Rows - 100

Do chins between a bunch of stuff. Now you can fit this into an hour and it’s balanced.

1 Like

Thanks, Jim! I really appreciate the template. I’ll give this a shot for 6 weeks and report back.

This template looks perfect…40 here and family life is priority #1 so 1 hour of training would be ideal. I like the addition of power cleans too.

Jim - this template has worked very well for me over the last 6+ weeks. I’ve made steady gains, hit some PRs and have been able to hit all three sessions per week given my schedule. Thanks again for the feedback.

[quote]benallday wrote:
Jim - this template has worked very well for me over the last 6+ weeks. I’ve made steady gains, hit some PRs and have been able to hit all three sessions per week given my schedule. Thanks again for the feedback.[/quote]

You are welcome.