T Nation

Full Body Routines VS Split For A Beginner

I hear a lot of people say that a full body routine is better and that most beginners should only work out 3 times per week? Why is this? I have been doing a 5 day split and I have seen good gains.

Here is what I am currently doing:
Chest(Bench, Incline DB, Pec Dec, Cable Cross Overs .16 sets)
Legs(Squats, Leg Press,Leg Ext, Stiff Leg Deads, Leg Curl. 17 sets)
Shoulders(Mil Press, Arnold Press, Lateral Raise, Reverse Fly, Shrugs, Smith Upright Row.18 sets)
Back (Seated Row, Deadlift, Bent over Row, Wide Pull up, Lat Pull Downs.15 sets)
Arms(Tri Pushdowns, Close Grip Bench, Barbell/Dumbbell Curl, Tricep Extensions, 12 sets Triceps, 12 sets Biceps)

Any thoughts? I really enjoy my routine but if something Like starting strength would be more advisable that is something I would be willing to change. I have been lifting 9 months, this is the third routine I have down in that time.

Weight:180
Height:6’1"
Bf:14 %

Edit:Diet is my strongest point. Dropped from 240 to 180 in the past 9 months, Probably want to get my body fat down to the 8-10 range and then start a bulking.

Dont change things unless you stop make progress or progress slows to an unacceptable level

There is no reason somoene should work out only 3 days a week if theyre capable of more.

Forget what ‘they’ say. If you are making progress, then you’re doing it right. Progress is the main idea, and anyone who tries to get you to change from something that is working should be ignored.

I’m impressed that you have such a well-rounded routine at such a young training age (if I ignore the lack of calf work). Did you come up with it on your own? Great use of different stimuli, varied joint angles, you seem to be working all the common weak-points… seems like a program written by someone who’s been training and paying attention for a while. It will take you a long way, provided you adapt it when your weak points change.

Throw in some calf work. That’s really the only critique I have here. If you already have impressive calves, work them until they are ridiculous. If you have small/medium calves, work them until they are impressive.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Forget what ‘they’ say. If you are making progress, then you’re doing it right. Progress is the main idea, and anyone who tries to get you to change from something that is working should be ignored.

I’m impressed that you have such a well-rounded routine at such a young training age (if I ignore the lack of calf work). Did you come up with it on your own? Great use of different stimuli, varied joint angles, you seem to be working all the common weak-points… seems like a program written by someone who’s been training and paying attention for a while. It will take you a long way, provided you adapt it when your weak points change.

Throw in some calf work. That’s really the only critique I have here. If you already have impressive calves, work them until they are ridiculous. If you have small/medium calves, work them until they are impressive.[/quote]
I took some advice here and there from a couple online sources/friends and pretty much stuck with the lifts I enjoyed/felt hit the muscles the best for me.

My calves are pretty well developed from working a physical job and being fat all my life but I actually just forgot to post what I did. I do them outside of the gym (copied op post from my log spreadsheet). I do 3-4 sets of donkey calf raises, 155 pound person on my back until failure. Donkey calf raises so far are the only calf exercise that I have felt stimulate my calves, although I have been reading up on the DC method of calf raises and I might try it out.

Thanks for the help guys.