Full Body Routine

Like I already said to yugi, if you just skim through a reply to the last post a thread quickly goes ape shit. I mentioned already I clean windows. Sounds easy enough, but I’m young, fit & self employed and I work fast and hard to earn a good living. I’m burning a shit load throughout the day.

ok. you have what essentially amounts to an active manual labor job.

That’s confirming of what I believed in the first place. you don’t need 6k calories to grow. Ronnie Coleman was a fucking active duty police officer, supporting 270-300 lbs, of mostly lean tissue. Nobody is saying you are a bodybuilder. We are suggesting the opposite. We are suggesting that BECAUSE you are not that, you do not need the caloric requirements that, say, Big Ron needed in his prime. This has to make sense to you, no?

2 Likes

I feel like it’s my fault we’ve been exposed to this level of dumbassery.

For that - I apologise.

3 Likes

I’m 14.2 stones with a pretty active lifestyle and maintain weight at slightly below 3000 calories.At 12.5 stones,seriously,don’t eat double my calories

1 Like

In hindsight my reaction was pretty snappy. I apologise for that.

1 Like

Now training wise (I’d like to see what the more advanced guys think of this advice)

1.Instead of 5x5 I’d either do 5x3-6,to have room for more room for improvement,or 3x3-6 with 2 more back off sets of 3-10(maybe it’s better to stick to the first suggestion).5x5 though ensures that you won’t go to failure on each set,so you should be careful to leave 1-2 reps in the tank on most sets

2.I’d do 3 sets of hypers,curls and pushdowns.They are easy to recover from and can add some additional mass.Also strengthening your lower back will ensure that you do not get too fatigued and thus make it easier to recover from workout to workout

I’ve had 3 workouts and I’ve been able to add 2.5 kg to my squat and bench every workout. Tomorrow I will be attempting 3x5 @ 90kg on squat which i’m a 100% sure i’ll get ( the 87.5 felt light on Monday - I think i’m starting to become more conditioned and my form is improving too )

I know this will stall soon. I’ve already had to drop the dead lift so my squat doesn’t get effected. ( and my dead lift too for that matter ) but I want to keep the intensity as high as possible for as long as possible for maximum strength gains.

I’ll be going for 70kg 3x5 on bench, and I feel confident about it too.

I want to keep my weight up because of the correlation between weight and strength.

So you’ve only been working out for a week and, after only three workouts, you feel like you’re about to stall? This seems like a pretty obvious indicator that something isn’t right…

I recommend looking into Starting Strength. Not that it’s the only effective plan out there, it’s just that it’s what I know works for me as a beginner (4 months into lifting). My squat was 115 for 3x5, now its 265 for 3x5. Deadlift went from 135 for 1x5 to 295 for 1x5.

It’s a very simple program and it works. It could certainly help you as its simplicity doesn’t allow for much in the way of over-thinking.

1 Like

BY soon I don’t mean about to. I was just pointing out that i’m not ignorant to the fact that my current 3x5 will not work forever. I did mention the weight feels light, so no.

I’ve decided to squat twice a week and dead lift once. Dead lifting and squatting heavy in the same session with one rest day was too taxing.

Decided to add rows in yesterdays workout and got 55kg 3x5. They would have a carry over to dead lift, right ?

Yeah, they’ll help with your grip and help keep your back from rounding. If you can only dead once a week, maybe try doing some lighter RDL/SLDL sets to get the posterior chain a little more work. Prowlers would also be good for this

1 Like

Cheers.

I’ve tried different form when dead lifting. My lower back never rounds ( i have a very strong core for years of cycling ) This includes midsection/abs, hips, glutes, back. It’s all bodyweight stuff we did but it’s definitely had carryover.

As for my upper back rounding a bit, I think I might just be round back dead lifter.

I wouldn’t get into this habit this early in training.

why? every good deadlifter rounds their upper back. It’s almost essential to pulling extremely heavy loads.

OP: there is no such thing as a ‘round back deadlifter’. Please please PLEASE don’t think in those terms. I do have to wonder if you’re describing your lifting accurately. If there’s any way you can post a video using a fairly heavy load (85% of your max or higher), I’m positive the community could help assess your lift. It may be just fine, but it’s certainly worth looking at.

1 Like

I noticed when I went above 85% that my upper back rounded, so I Googled it and found the term round back dead lifter been thrown about.

I read an article on here called ’ a case for the round back dead lifter ’ or something along them lines.

that’s fine, but google is not a great resource for everything. We’re going to give you better advice than google if you’re willing to open your ears. You don’t need to justify your opinions to us, lol. we get it.

1 Like

Any system that does not address supplemental exercises sufficiently to feed into your main lifts relies on you keeping good form 100% through the ROM to build up those muscles and having the discipline to hit every rep with optimum form. If your form is disintegrating, it’s too heavy. If you compromise on form this early, you’re asking for disfunction and limiting your progress quickly at best and opening the door to injury.

Also, there’s a huge difference between rounding your upper back a bit on a 1 RM attempt and accepting rounding as just par for the course on your working sets. Will your back round a bit at the top on a big 1 RM? It can. What keeps you from snapping your spine in half is hitting all of your workouts with good form and addressing this through accessory lifts so that if and when your back starts to round on a max attempt, you have the strength to hold it all together. Repping deadlifts with bad form is a recipe for disaster.

2 Likes