Full Body / Power Lifting

I want to do a full body workout, I havn’t decided on my split / workout plan, when i do ill post it. I’ve done full body with huge success, but anyways i want to incorporate power lifting e.g cleans deads etc. into it. So sould i do say day 1 , 3 5 full body and 2, 4 power lift or what? How would i incorporate it? Im 19 so i can recover pretty fast and sleep, eat , and supplement well. What do you guys think?

On a side not what do cleans actually work? I know they add “gobs” of muscle but where? that way i know what muscles to target less thanx.

The three “power lifts” are the Squat, Bench and Deadlift.

The two olympic lifts are the Clean & Jerk, and the Snatch.

The clean is the first portion of the Clean & Jerk. It is a full-body movement utilizing primarily posterior chain muscles.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but have you ever done a clean or olympic lift before? They are not like picking up a barbell and doing curls-- they require much practice and patience before you will start to add “gobs” of muscle.

Also you said that you would be doing full body training 3x week and powerlifting 2x a week. That sounds like way way too much training to me. The whole point of the 3 x week full body training is that it is very high intensity, so 3x per week is just about all anyone can manage.

Why don’t you write out exactly what you propose to do, and then we can help you with it… the most I can say right now is that your training schedule is a little too ambitious. What are your goals? What are your current stats?

RIT Jared

The 1970’s Bill Starr program can be used for a full body workout with powerlifts (substituting powercleans with deadlifts).

Monday: Squat, Deadlift, Bench 5X5
Wednesday: Squat, Deadlift, Bench 5X5
Friday: Squat, Deadlift, Bench 5X5

Just do that Chad Waterbury “Total Body Training” program from a few weeks back and you’ll be fine.

well monday weds, fri first workout would go as follows:

3 X 6 preacher curls
3 drop sets alternate curls
3 X 6 hammers

flat bench 3 x6
inline dumbell bench 3 x 6

tricep pulldowns (bar) 3 x 6
tricep pulddowns (rope) drop set
close grip bench 3 x 6

Second workout:

Back : Lat pulldowns 3 x 6 front and back.

Deadlift

Military press
2 shoulder excercizes (not sure what)

tues thurs:

Squat, cleans, leg work

Something im thinking subject to various and numerous tweaks.

[quote]Split wrote:
well monday weds, fri first workout would go as follows:

3 X 6 preacher curls
3 drop sets alternate curls
3 X 6 hammers

flat bench 3 x6
inline dumbell bench 3 x 6

tricep pulldowns (bar) 3 x 6
tricep pulddowns (rope) drop set
close grip bench 3 x 6

Second workout:

Back : Lat pulldowns 3 x 6 front and back.

Deadlift

Military press
2 shoulder excercizes (not sure what)

tues thurs:

Squat, cleans, leg work

Something im thinking subject to various and numerous tweaks.
[/quote]

I would do two upper body days and two lower body days or an upper body, lower body, and total body workout.

I think you would see better results if you changed up your chest routine a bit and added different angles instead of just bench and incline db. You might consider throwing in some decline bench, low cable pulley bench press and weighted dips. You might even consider doing some pull overs.

Also, I think you might benefit from throwing in some various grip chins and pullups and bent over rows or cable pulls.

I’m not entirely sure, but your deads might hinder your cleans and squats and visa versa when done on consecutive days.

Okay, look at your volume. It’s ridiculous.

Bench: 3x week
Deadlift: 3x week
Squat: 2x week
Clean: 2x week

Again, I don’t mean to be harsh, but I think your whole program needs a rework. It seems like you are trying to incorporate everything at once in the hopes of getting huge in a month. It just doesn’t work that way as you obviously know from reading this site.

Pick either a powerlifting split or total body training. Not both. You can incorporate cleans into your total body training, but I would shy from doing more than 4 workouts/week, and I would definitely shy from 2x day training. Remember you grow when you aren’t in the gym.

RIT Jared

well how would u people rework it? Im hoping to get my plan set by mon, i basically want an intense full body with elements from powelifting for its obvious benefits.

I agree. You might try the pendulum powerlifting or pendulum athlete training program. The QT program is pretty nifty.

CT has a nice article on building programs around functional and structural gains; it’s one of the Different roads, Different paths (I think that’s the name of it) series.

I’m a little confused as to what you want… Elements from powerlifting… well, if you are benching, deadlifting and squatting then there are your elements right there. Here is what I would do. Prioritize your lifts, bench, squat, deadlift. The one you do first will be your weakest lift (not pounds wise, but relative to your goals).

I’ll write up a basic program, then you fill in the gaps, and I’ll take a look at it again before monday. Suppose that the squat is your weakest lift proportionately.

Mon:

A. Max Effort Squat
5 x 5 (or similar)

B. Dynamic (explosive) Bench
10 x 3
do this exercise either on a standard bench, or use CT’s method of using the smith machine with a catch and release technique.

C. Pull ups (hypertrophy techniques) i.e. drop sets, iso-dynamic contrast, accentuated negative, tempo contrast. Pick one.

Wed:

A. Max Effort Bench
5 x 5 (or similar)

B. Dynamic (explosive) Deadlift
10 x 3

If quads are weaker, C1, if Hamstrings are weaker C2.

C1. Lunge, Step up, or Hack squat (hypertrophy)
C2. Frankenstein Leg curl (or GHR if you can do it for more than 8 reps)

Fri:

A. Max Effort Deadlift
5 x 5 (or I prefer 5 x3)

B. Dynamic (explosive) Squat, Box Squat, or Split Jump (scissor split)
10 x 3 (or with split jump, 10 x 4 (2 each leg))

C. Tricep hypertrophy, Skull crushers, nosebreakers, or etc. hypertrophy techniques.

Start with that. You can add a couple more things in, such as chest hypertrophy on Friday, with flyes or something like that. You should be in and out of the gym in a little over an hour.

If you don’t like that program, both CW and CT have some great ones too.

RIT Jared

thanx alot, just one question, what is more effective a max effort bench (10x3) or say 3-4 chest excercises say 3 sets of 5?

Split:

Would you be terribly offended if I asked your age?

18 (19 in jan), trained 6 months with an intense 2 a day full body with very good results.

[quote]Split wrote:
thanx alot, just one question, what is more effective a max effort bench (10x3) or say 3-4 chest excercises say 3 sets of 5?[/quote]

more effective for what? What I am confused on is that you say you want the benefits of powerlifting, but what is your ultimate goal? Getting bigger? Getting stronger? which is more important to you? Are you wanting to compete in powerlifting? Are you doing anything else (sports, bb competition, etc)?

RIT Jared

RIT
What are Frankenstein Leg curl?

Moe