T Nation

Full-Body: How Long...

Full-body: How long... till you drop?

Folks,

After a few months of messing around with different exercises that focus on a single body part every session, I finally decided to move on to the real thing: Full-Body. In retrospect, the sense of achievement is definitely much higher than when you do splits, but it's very stressful.

I doubt people can sustain it in the long run because every single bone/muscle/fiber/nerve in the body is shaking when you leave the gym.

Is there an adaptation curve to the stress induced by the full-body? If so, how long till my nervous system starts recovering faster (an order of magnitude will do just fine)?
Also, is anyone of you guys going full body all year round? If so, how do you manage that? How many days per week do you train and how long are your trainings?

Myself, I follow a variation of one of Chad's programs every other day and keep my workouts under 90mns. Nutrition is top-notch and I get plenty of rest.

Thanks in advance for your valuable time and input,

For what it's worth, I followed one of Chad's programs for four months. The first two were great, as I gained stamina and endurance. I didn't notice a sharp gain in strength, or size for that matter, but I got more efficient at perfoming the exercises with the short rest periods.

But by the fourth month I felt beat up. It's tough to do variations of the big three lifts every workout, three days a week, for weeks on end. Am I knocking it? Absolutely not. I feel that it is good for overall conditioning. If you want to do something different that's challenging, CW's programs are it.

I've been doing full body for about a month now and have been seeing steady gains the entire time. Of course, I just started lifting "seriously" at the same time, so I was pretty confident gains would come. But it is working, especially with increasing my bench and for gaining weight/mass.

I haven't noticed any burnout yet, and I love the feeling I have as I leave the gym, like my whole body is all one muscle and feels pumped. For now the plan for me is to stick with this until I stop seeing progression, or I hit my goal weight of 220 -- I guess whichever comes first.
Hope this helps.

Interesting...
I used to do cross-fit but lately switch to full body routine, 3xtimes per week.

Three months on it and boy, I'm whipped...

Been doing some variation of a full body workout for the last two years with only a few weeks of the year for some type of split to focus on lagging muscles. My body still shakes after doing a good workout. I do it mon, wed and fri.

Friend and I did Chad's TBT for 8 weeks, then another 8 weeks. Finished each day feeling like you're describing, but I always felt ready 48 hours later to do it again.

I think if you don't feel ready after 48 hours to tackle a new workout, then either back off on the weight a little (which I don't think is satisfying for anyone) or do full-body only for 1-4 weeks at a time followed by a rest and change of pace.

Make routines work for you; don't force yourself into a situation that you feel is burning you out.

Good to see you outside the other forum.

TBT IMO is good for dropping fat and burning more calories, however it does not help me grow as much nor do I have the energy required to effectively perform the final excersices because of exhaustion.

90 minutes is WAY TOO LONG to be in the gym. 45 tops, but it depends on your goals.

Thank you all for sharing. Reconforting to see that I'm not the only one shaking after full-body workouts. I'm starting to believe that no matter what your level is, your body never quite adapts to having to squat, press, deadlift and do pull-ups during a same session; and that's a good thing! If it did, you wouldn't grow.

Nice avatar. I'd been using total body for about the past year when I realized over the last 3 months my progress had straight stopped. So now I'm doing CT's OVT and am enjoying it.

I made awesome progress on the Waterbury method but tried to hammer it into the ground instead of switching to something else. Somebody said "Everything works, but nothing works forever." And they were right.