Full Body, Full Boring Template

So i finally got my hands on the Beyond 5/3/1 book and holy crap is it awesome. I’m looking to take the ‘full body, full boring’ template for a run, the one that has you Bench/squat/deadlift three days a week. It gave me an “uncomfortable boner” as wendler put it in the book. I searched this forum and theres not a lot of talk about this one. Has anyone tried it? Did anyone add anything to it, extra assistance, etc?

The only things i may adjust is instead of the 65,75,85% sets on the non 5/3/1 days for that lift i may just do a flat FSL % for 8-10 reps. I’m trying to put on weight and want some extra volume. I might also do pullups and lunges at home on the off days if i feel good. Good idea/bad ideas? I’d welcome any feedback.

[quote]boswick wrote:
So i finally got my hands on the Beyond 5/3/1 book and holy crap is it awesome. I’m looking to take the ‘full body, full boring’ template for a run, the one that has you Bench/squat/deadlift three days a week. It gave me an “uncomfortable boner” as wendler put it in the book. I searched this forum and theres not a lot of talk about this one. Has anyone tried it? Did anyone add anything to it, extra assistance, etc?

The only things i may adjust is instead of the 65,75,85% sets on the non 5/3/1 days for that lift i may just do a flat FSL % for 8-10 reps. I’m trying to put on weight and want some extra volume. I might also do pullups and lunges at home on the off days if i feel good. Good idea/bad ideas? I’d welcome any feedback. [/quote]

Try the template as layed out at LEAST once before adding or subtracting anything. Thats the best advice I could give.

[quote]boswick wrote:

The only things i may adjust is instead of the 65,75,85% sets on the non 5/3/1 days for that lift i may just do a flat FSL % for 8-10 reps. I’m trying to put on weight and want some extra volume. I might also do pullups and lunges at home on the off days if i feel good. Good idea/bad ideas? I’d welcome any feedback. [/quote]

I used the full body routine phases 1-3 in the 2nd edition book when I finished playing lacrosse in college, and it is probably the best template that I have used. I’m currently back to using the full body template, about to start phase 2, and I’m gonna say that you should not add a FSL on the non 5/3/1 days.

What you COULD do is start with the percentages written, and add some volume after a few cycles. Like going from 65,75,85 x 5 on squat and bench to 60,70,80 x 8-10 and then 65,75,85 x 8. The non 5/3/1 days are there to build muscle and technique through volume not intensity or full exertion, thats what the 5/3/1 days are for.

But hey, your gonna do what your gonna do.

just do the big lifts as written.

Adding pullups to one training session should be fine but the off days should be OFF from resistance training

[quote]pntbll687 wrote:

[quote]boswick wrote:

I used the full body routine phases 1-3 in the 2nd edition book when I finished playing lacrosse in college, and it is probably the best template that I have used. I’m currently back to using the full body template, about to start phase 2, and I’m gonna say that you should not add a FSL on the non 5/3/1 days.

What you COULD do is start with the percentages written, and add some volume after a few cycles. Like going from 65,75,85 x 5 on squat and bench to 60,70,80 x 8-10 and then 65,75,85 x 8. The non 5/3/1 days are there to build muscle and technique through volume not intensity or full exertion, thats what the 5/3/1 days are for.

[/quote]

I wasn’t going to add anything to it, i meant i would just change the percentages of the non-5/3/1 days. So it would be 65%x8 for three sets in week one, on the non 5/3/1 days. Basically i just want to do reps higher than 5 somewhere, thought lowering the % might be a good idea.

[quote]boswick wrote:

[quote]pntbll687 wrote:

[quote]boswick wrote:

[/quote]

I wasn’t going to add anything to it, i meant i would just change the percentages of the non-5/3/1 days. So it would be 65%x8 for three sets in week one, on the non 5/3/1 days. Basically i just want to do reps higher than 5 somewhere, thought lowering the % might be a good idea. [/quote]

Remember “start too light, and progress too slow”. Don’t be in a rush to stall out because all the “extra work” adds up after a cycle or two.