Full Body, Full Boring Comments?

I’m currently off 531 for the first time in a couple of years, due to my incisional hernia (long story) preventing me from pushing any lifts hard except bench. So, since I can’t do amrap sets with the other big lifts, I’m on a fairly miserable “custom” upper/lower split just to keep rebuilding the busted body.

But I’m getting evaluated for surgery soon and already pipe-dreaming of what routine I’ll use to get my mojo back.

Full Body, Full Boring looks fucking cool and something that might be fun to get back in the groove.

Has anyone here run it and if so what comments do you have?
Looks like you’d want to add chins or rows between sets.

I’ll bump this, I’ve been eyeing this variation up for a while as well.

Looks like I’ve got no option but to be the guinea pig on this one then. I’ll report back with my results.

Yeah it seems to not be as popular as the original fullbody template, perhaps because it’s so focused.

Good luck, I’ll definitely be interested to hear how you go.

Any thoughts on initial additions, such as chins / face pulls, abs etc? From the bare bones look of the template, I’m assuming it’s up to the user to add accessories as needed

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
Yeah it seems to not be as popular as the original fullbody template, perhaps because it’s so focused.
[/quote]

I think it’s because deadlifting and squatting three times a week seems crazy for most people. I’m going to put faith in Jim that this isn’t the case.

[quote]
Any thoughts on initial additions, such as chins / face pulls, abs etc? From the bare bones look of the template, I’m assuming it’s up to the user to add accessories as needed[/quote]

I’m going to keep it as bare bones as possible for now, with the only addition being 100+ ring pull ups every session. I might add extra work later if necessary.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[/quote]

I think it’s because deadlifting and squatting three times a week seems crazy for most people. I’m going to put faith in Jim that this isn’t the case.

That is a horrible addition. Please do the program as shown.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[/quote]

That is a horrible addition. Please do the program as shown.
[/quote]

Duly noted, thank you, I will do the program as written. Do you mind me asking why for future reference?

Because the program was written with stressors in mind. 100 chins a day is always a horrible idea, especially when training for strength and using big movements 3 times a week. Elbows/shoulders will be shot to hell.

This is very common sense stuff. You wouldn’t do 100 depth jumps from 8 feet everyday.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
You wouldn’t do 100 depth jumps from 8 feet everyday. [/quote]

I wouldn’t do 100 depth jumps full stop. Thank you for your input, I’ll do the program as written.

So I’ve been doing the program 100% as written for one week, one day on, one day off style, and I have to say I’ve learnt, or re-learnt, more from this template than any other.

Lesson 1) Jim’s right. Again. Do the program as written. I was certain I wasn’t going to recover in time to lift properly, I was wrong.

Lesson 2) Focus is key. I didn’t realise how much mental space and focus my assistance exercises and other fluff were taking up and how much they were distracting me from my main lifts until I got rid of them completely.

So thank you Jim, for the template and your input. 5/3/1 has reminded me how training should be, again. Hopefully the lesson will be learnt this time.

1 Like

I just ran this template for 3 cycles and it was good to have higher frequency on main lifts. I thought I would run a 4th cycle but after three cycles of heavy squats, heavy bench presses and heavy deads about every other day, sufficient recovery wasn’t met. I’m in 2nd week of less boring cycle now and deads and squats are going up up from the extra recovery.

I obviously didn’t gain in overhead press while on FBFB since this lift is not practiced but surprinsingly I didn’t loose anything in 11 weeks without overhead pressing.

I will surely go back at this template when I’m bored of BBB…

Dagill,
Do you just do your 531 sets for the given lift for the day or do you do jokers or fsl or anything like that?

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Dagill,
Do you just do your 531 sets for the given lift for the day or do you do jokers or fsl or anything like that?[/quote]

I just do warm up sets and 5/3/1 sets, nothing extra. My strength improved quicker on the big three on this template than any other I’ve run and I found this the easiest to fit into my life when time gets pushed.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Dagill,
Do you just do your 531 sets for the given lift for the day or do you do jokers or fsl or anything like that?[/quote]

I just do warm up sets and 5/3/1 sets, nothing extra. My strength improved quicker on the big three on this template than any other I’ve run and I found this the easiest to fit into my life when time gets pushed.[/quote]

I’m guessing you 86ed the cleans & olys for this, but did you still do your jumps and throws, or did you cut those out as well? Thinking about giving this one a go once my 28wk block is over.

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Dagill,

I just do warm up sets and 5/3/1 sets, nothing extra. My strength improved quicker on the big three on this template than any other I’ve run and I found this the easiest to fit into my life when time gets pushed.[/quote]

I’m guessing you 86ed the cleans & olys for this, but did you still do your jumps and throws, or did you cut those out as well? Thinking about giving this one a go once my 28wk block is over. [/quote]

I think we’re potentially looking at different templates. There are no cleans or oly lifts in the full body full boring template. I do do some, very limited box jumps before every workout though.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Dagill,

I’m guessing you 86ed the cleans & olys for this, but did you still do your jumps and throws, or did you cut those out as well? Thinking about giving this one a go once my 28wk block is over. [/quote]

I think we’re potentially looking at different templates. There are no cleans or oly lifts in the full body full boring template. I do do some, very limited box jumps before every workout though.
[/quote]

Sweet. Well I was more just referencing the use of cleans and olys as a warm-up for the main lifts, which I tend to do and thought you occasionally incorporated as well. Though since you mention it, I have been eyeing the FB Power Clean templates a bit.

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Dagill,

[/quote]

Sweet. Well I was more just referencing the use of cleans and olys as a warm-up for the main lifts, which I tend to do and thought you occasionally incorporated as well. Though since you mention it, I have been eyeing the FB Power Clean templates a bit.[/quote]

I have done a lot on the past, and I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t with this template. I haven’t tried it myself though.

Yeah, I’m just cautious running it w/ additional barbell exercises, especially considering Jim’s input. Perhaps if/when I do it I’ll run two cycles. The first without them, and then depending on my overall fatigue and if I think at that point they’ll make a positive impact, I’ll consider including them in the second cycle.

This of course won’t be until at least after summer though. I’m looking at a 300/400/500 as my end of '15 goal, and think this template is in line with that.

[quote]TX iron wrote:

Yeah, I’m just cautious running it w/ additional barbell exercises, especially considering Jim’s input. Perhaps if/when I do it I’ll run two cycles. The first without them, and then depending on my overall fatigue and if I think at that point they’ll make a positive impact, I’ll consider including them in the second cycle.

This of course won’t be until at least after summer though. I’m looking at a 300/400/500 as my end of '15 goal, and think this template is in line with that.[/quote]

That was exactly my reasoning as well. I also didn’t want to take any focus at all away from the big 3 since that was the whole purpose of the plan for me.

Hi guys, I’m thinking of trying this out. From the book it says that on your non 531 days, you can do either 3x5, 3x3, or 531. Which did you prefer? Thanks.