T Nation

Full Body Four Times a Week?

Hey guys; a question for ya. I wanna hit the gym 4 days a week, and I’ve currently been doing a split. I’m sort of thinking about tryin a full-body routine, but I still want to workout 4 days a week. Is it totally a dumb idea to do a full body routine 4x a week?

If I’m not training a bodypart to total failure, could I potentially work it two days in a row? What would be the best way to split up a full body routine for a 4x a week workout?

do upper/lower.

In short no, you couldn’t do total body 4 days a week.

Maybe you could try though Sat/Sun as an Upper/Lower then Tuesday and Thursday total body. Depends on how fast you can recover (a shitload of factors go into that), and how you split up your routine based on that. I really have no clue how that would turn out though, just being creative.

I’d keep with the 3 day total or 4 day upper/lower split if it were me.

CW’s SOB plan is full body every other day. Because of the way the exercises and sets/reps are changed each workout, it might be OK to try it 2 days in a row… something like M-T-T-F.

I’d stick with every other day or 3x a week though…

here is the link

LA

[quote]cman10 wrote:

Maybe you could try though Sat/Sun as an Upper/Lower then Tuesday and Thursday total body. Depends on how fast you can recover (a shitload of factors go into that), and how you split up your routine based on that. I really have no clue how that would turn out though, just being creative.

I’d keep with the 3 day total or 4 day upper/lower split if it were me.[/quote]

Clearly he will fall apart if he does full body 4x a week.

Chad Waterbury wrote extensively on higher frequency training. Some of the things he wrote suggested even training total body up to 8x/week! His 10/10 book also contained a full HFT program with 5x week total body training

OP, YES you can do it. Your progress will depend on controlling the volume carefully (both in set x rep schemes and total training volume). You’ll also have to vary your movements each training session and get a ton of food and sleep. Read the Waterbury stuff on HFT, and see what you can do.

If you’re more of a newb (like me!) then maybe a 3x week full body or an upper/lower split would work better. I had a lot of success (and fun) doing Defranco’s west side for skinny bastards.

CW article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-017-training
Best part of that article:
“Training your entire body for, say, four sessions each week will build up your overall fitness levels much higher than one set of a handful of exercises taken to failure every seven days.”
-CW
There’s also a 4x/week full body program laid out towards the bottom.

If your eating and sleeping enough, 4 full body workouts a week is fine. I’ve been doing full body routines for about a year now, so I guess I have built up my capacity to handle them. During periods when I have alot of time on my hands I have done 8 full body sessions a week with great results(2 a days, 4 days a week).

I’m doing Outlaw Strength and Conditioning by Waterbury and its 4 days a week, kickass, its listed under advanced in his book. In short, 4 full bodys a week is doable for short periods, 4 weeks at a time or so. You may suck at other aspects of your life, but hey its only 4 weeks.

it depends on the volume,and intensity. MIGHT work well for YOU.

http://www.youtube.com/v/EvitFh8A0zI&hl=en

Can one of those days be a ‘light’ day?

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Clearly he will fall apart if he does full body 4x a week.

Chad Waterbury wrote extensively on higher frequency training. Some of the things he wrote suggested even training total body up to 8x/week! His 10/10 book also contained a full HFT program with 5x week total body training

OP, YES you can do it. Your progress will depend on controlling the volume carefully (both in set x rep schemes and total training volume). You’ll also have to vary your movements each training session and get a ton of food and sleep. Read the Waterbury stuff on HFT, and see what you can do.

If you’re more of a newb (like me!) then maybe a 3x week full body or an upper/lower split would work better. I had a lot of success (and fun) doing Defranco’s west side for skinny bastards.

CW article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-017-training
Best part of that article:
“Training your entire body for, say, four sessions each week will build up your overall fitness levels much higher than one set of a handful of exercises taken to failure every seven days.”
-CW
There’s also a 4x/week full body program laid out towards the bottom.
[/quote]

For some reason I was thinking the topic was about pure heavy lifts, and not including breakdowns like CW discussed in his article. The routine in that article looks amazing, and I’m really tempted to try it out now after reading about it once I’m done with mine.

Also if you consider Oly lifts as total bodies, then literally you would be doing total body workouts 6 days a week if you went with a Oly routine.

My fault for the stupid comment.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Can one of those days be a ‘light’ day?[/quote]

Yes.

the HFT program in the 10/10 book includes days with sets of three reps, sets of 8 reps and sets of up to 15 or 16 reps.

I have not done a HFT program (yet), but I’m sorely tempted to try it. Being in the gym 5-6 times a week sounds like a good thing to do anyway.

Yogaroots, that was an outstanding video.

[quote]cman10 wrote:

I’d keep with the 3 day total or 4 day upper/lower split if it were me.[/quote]

if you have no clue, you shouldnt offer advice.
theres nothing wrong with 4 times a week. theres nothing wrong with 6 times a week. it depends on the intensity duration and volume of your workouts. first couple of weeks will be trial and error without a solid program such as chad’s HFT routine.

id do one exercise for legs push and pull for each of the 4 days. what you need to figure out on your own are the weight and templates.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

if you have no clue, you shouldnt offer advice.
theres nothing wrong with 4 times a week. theres nothing wrong with 6 times a week. it depends on the intensity duration and volume of your workouts. first couple of weeks will be trial and error without a solid program such as chad’s HFT routine.

id do one exercise for legs push and pull for each of the 4 days. what you need to figure out on your own are the weight and templates. [/quote]

Read my second post, I expained how I was wrong there, but maybe you missed it?