Full Body for Powerlifters

Hey Jim! I was wondering if you had any reasonings for powerlifters not to do fullbody training - Since it isn’t included in the powerlifting book, but it is included in your others books.
Does it even matter? I guess that the programming at total programming and volume over a week stays about the same?

Thank you for your time!

I believe it works better.

1 Like

Just to make sure: You believe fullbody works best? Or was it a reason against fullbody? Sorry for the confusion!
As for the programming you helped me with - which I am really thankful for - I guess that it would be done like you describe here?

Would there be anyways to include the power clean? What would be needed to pull out, if it’s even possible? If not i won’t try to fit it in.

Thanks a lot for your response Jim Wendler!

I have no idea what you are asking:

You want me to do your programming or do you want me to change a program to include power cleans - what does this have to do with 5/3/1 for PL? I don’t understand what you are asking.

You are right Jim. The only thing I really wanted to know is which you thought were better for powerlifting/strength, your regular split of press/deadlift/bench/squat or fullbody?
I’m asking because I’ve noticed that the programs you’ve put on tnation lately has been fullbody templets and I see you doing fullbody for youself on instagram.
You did my programming, so I’ll shut about that - Thanks for that by the way! It has really been great!
As for the power clean I’d just like to know what would be sufficient to take out in order to include it.
But the question is simply wether you prefer fullbody or the split. I apologize for my ADHD questioning.

I interpreted Jim to be saying splits work better for powerlifting. You asked why his powerlifting book includes all splits and no full body, and he said “I believe it works better.” The “it,” it seems to me, must be “the sort of programming in the book.”

You are right revchad. As I read it again it seems more clear.
Thank you for taking you time to sum it up to me :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Less than 1% of my audience are PL.
  2. I am not a PL.

PL is not about “full body” or whatever - the ONLY thing that matters is increasing the 3 lifts; nothing else. If one does care about increasing the squat, bench and deadlift, he would PL. If one wants to increase other areas of his training, then he can do it any number of ways, but he wouldn’t be a PL. Because then it wouldn’t coalesce with his goals. I think this is where so many people go wrong: they aren’t willing to give up anything to get their goals. It’s a form of self-sabotage. But this goes well beyond this forum.

Just like training for sports isn’t about benching X and squatting Y - it’s about doing the things that needs to be done to be better at the sport.

Like everything in fitness/strength, things come/go and if you stay in this business long enough, you see the same ideas recycled and people screaming “THIS IS THE BEST!” Full body training has been around for a long time, fell out of favor and now is in vogue. 10 years from now, it will change. 20 years from now, it will be back in style.

In general, stuff like this doesn’t matter that much: full body, splits, etc. You work hard, be consistent and have solid principles, none of the static matters. This happens with EVERYTHING -so all one does is stay the common sense course and evolve.

3 Likes

Thank you for this thorough answer Jim.
As for his:

I were simply trying to adhere what you said in another topic:

But I understand you point, and I’m grateful for you to take the time and educated me this information - Thank you.