FSL Setup

So I’ve done bbb with deadlifts after squats…squats after deads and so on. I was wondering if a FSL would be good set up this way

OVHP
Work Set 1
3+
Joker Sets
5x8 Bench

Deadlift
Work Set 1
3+
Joker Sets
5x8 Squat

Bench
Work Set 1
3+
Joker Sets
5x8 OVHP

Squat
Work Set 1
3+
Joker Sets
5x8 Deadlift

I saw jim saying in another thread not to combine bbb with joker sets so i thought this would be a good alternative…my goal is of course to gain size, but I’m doing my first meet soon too

“You don’t do Boring but big and the jokers/FSL. Check out the training in the Beyond book as it is all separated in 6 week blocks and you are able to focus on specific goals - not going everything at one time.”

that’s the quote i saw from jim…just confused if you can do joker with bbb, if so that’s what i’d like to do most

[quote]stt816 wrote:
“You don’t do Boring but big and the jokers/FSL.”
[/quote]

What are you confused about?

the part I’m confused about is jim recommends doing joker with fsl. FSL could be an all out set or multiple sets of 10,8,5 reps with heavier weight then a bbb(only 50-60%). So say you did 10 reps of your first set for 5 sets…Why is that recommended and not a bbb with joker

FSL is a term that is most used with the 5x5 set/rep protocol. That is what FSL means now. It has taken on a very specific role.
You are free to train however you want. If you want to do BBB, FSL and jokers in the same workout and feel this is the best way to achieve your goals, I think you should do it.

The reason why BBB and jokers are not recommend is because of goals. Too many people want too many things - all at the same time and all RIGHT NOW. But again, if this is how you believe is the best way to train, I think you should.

FSL is a term that is most used with the 5x5 set/rep protocol. That is what FSL means now. It has taken on a very specific role.
You are free to train however you want. If you want to do BBB, FSL and jokers in the same workout and feel this is the best way to achieve your goals, I think you should do it.

The reason why BBB and jokers are not recommend is because of goals. Too many people want too many things - all at the same time and all RIGHT NOW. But again, if this is how you believe is the best way to train, I think you should.

Thanks Jim for the response …what I ended up doing is

Work sets (+ set)
Joker sets (when I feel like it ,increments of 5% until I can’t meet required reps then jumps by 10% for singles)
BBB with opposing lift
Some little assistance

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
[/quote]

As an example, you would go:
5x160
5x180
5x200
5x5x160

?

BBB is a hypertrophy protocol.

FSL + jokers is a strength protocol.

What he’s getting at is that by combining the two you’re trying to chase two goals at once. Ideally (IMO), you would organise your training into a period where you focus on strength for 2-3 months, then switch gears and focus on hypertrophy for 2-3 months. By having more focused training goals you can better select which tools you’re going to use to achieve them.

I personally do not think I could do BBB after the main sets, a joker, and FSL. Besides, the FSL at 5x8-10 reps, like in the strength challenge, is plenty. Move on to something else and enjoy the relief:)