FSL on Different Days?

I plan to do first set last of 3x8 after the main lift, but is it okay to use it on different days to increase frequency? For example, instead of Bench Press and then Bench FSL, I want to do Bench Press and then Military press FSL…this way I would be benching and overhead pressing twice a week instead of once a week, I respond better to higher frequency when it comes to upper body lifts.

First Set Later?

Do 5s progressions on other days, back off sets have benefits.

The Strength Challenge in the Beyond book sets it up like this (p. 96).

Bench - 5/3/1 w/PR set + Jokers + FSL
Press - 5’s Progression

Press - 5/3/1 w/ PR set + Jokers + FSL
Bench - 5’s Progression

Also works with squats and deadlifts.

The thing about the 5’s progression is what do I do when I can’t hit 5 reps consistently anymore? For example on the third week it says to hit 5 reps on 95% of my training max…but what if I got to the point where I can only hit 2-3 reps at 95% of my training max? I wouldn’t want to reset yet because I am still hitting the minimum required reps on the AMRAP set, but at the same time I’m not hitting 5 reps on the 5’s progression. Also I don’t like the idea of going heavy twice a week on the upper body lifts, I respond better to something like a heavy day and light day when it comes to benching and shoulder pressing…which is why I like the idea of performing the First set Last on different days because I still get the benefit of increased volume plus I get increased frequency as well.

What you are talking about is akin to the BBB template 2 in Beyond 5/3/1, so just do that. FSLs are specifically back off sets, if you do them on a different day then they no longer serve that function.

Good point, thank you all for the help, but I have one more question, is 5/3/1 still considered straight linear progression or is it a periodized training method? I keep getting mixed answers and I’m just curious about the programming.

[quote]thesecondrei wrote:
Good point, thank you all for the help, but I have one more question, is 5/3/1 still considered straight linear progression or is it a periodized training method? I keep getting mixed answers and I’m just curious about the programming.[/quote]

I consider it linear since you linearly add weight every month. When most people say “do a linear program” they mean something where you add weight every week or even every session like Starting Strength. However, you could also make the case for some periodization in 5/3/1. For example look at SVR which has a different focus each week or Boring But Big 13 Week Challenge which you could say starts which “accumulation” (5 x 10) and ends which “realization” (Singles at TM).

So, I would consider 5/3/1 a bit of a mix of both. I don’t care what you call it it works for me, and it works for many others on this forum.

This is fine - this is in about 10 different articles I’ve written and in the Beyond book - and the Beyond program on TNation.