Frying: Which Oil

I use olive oil for making chicken cutlets in a frying pan, never burns on me and tastes pretty good

Here’s Berardi’s take on the subject:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/qa/afc/afc_mar292002.htm

(scroll down to the “Oil and heat” discussion)

Avocado is “best” for high heating, only because it is a pain in the ass to spend all the time and money on a specialty oil like that when butter or canola oil or whatever are many times cheaper/less hassle. You could theoretically use Avocado or any other high smoke point oil all the time, they are just less available.

Can you actually buy a bottle of Avocado oil?

All I know is when I have a hankering, I use canola oil for oven fried chicken tenders and they come out real nice.

I guess your just going to have to experiment according to your standards/taste.

I have used both Peanut and Sesame oils for stir fry and other high temperature cooking – both have worked well.

I have a related question: when you are frying with, say, 2 tbsp of olive oil, how much of that oil do you count in your calorie consumption? All 2 tbsp, or is some burned away, left on the pan, etc? I know it’s minor but using olive oil 3 or 4 times a day can add up quick.

The best oil for cooking/frying would be a saturated fat.

Well, according to the food network you can buy avocado oil pre-pressed and in a bottle… though I’ve never seen it in stores…

[quote]godeacs wrote:
I have a related question: when you are frying with, say, 2 tbsp of olive oil, how much of that oil do you count in your calorie consumption? All 2 tbsp, or is some burned away, left on the pan, etc? I know it’s minor but using olive oil 3 or 4 times a day can add up quick. [/quote]

Well, none of it is being burned away, unless you are in the habit of turning your food into charcoal. A negligible amount might splatter out of the pan while pan-frying or stir-frying. Otherwise, it’s all going to wind up either in your food or in the pan, so I’d suggest trying to estimate/measure how much is left in the pan, and figuring the rest into your calorie consumption.

I think when considering oils one needs to take into account practicality - i cant for the life of me find some of the oils mentioned in my local supermarket. So i stick to extra virgin olive oil for salad dressing, olive oil and butter for frying. Ill check out coconut oil next time I run the isles in the local tesco. lol

Read the article of Bernardi posted earlier in thread, and he said to use a frying spray. Isn’t that bad for the health too?