T Nation

Frying Eggs in Flax Oil

… is very stupid, I know - so I don’t do it :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I love fried eggs, but am not sure what’s the best (least worst) method. My non stick pan seems to have lost its “non” so I need to use some fat … been re-reading a bunch of old articles here and elsewhere and the consensus seems to be that if you must fry something saturated fat is better.

But just how bad do you think using just a little butter or ghee is? (never used it before but it sounds a better option than butter)

I need something to lightly grease the pan and particularly the egg rings. Anything better than butter/ghee? Should I go for some spray on option?

Go with extra-virgin cold-pressed olive oil for cooking. In a pan, Spectrum Naturals makes a canola spray designed for high temp cooking. Still not good but quite as bad.

Also experiment with cracking the eggs into a pan of hot water.

Hoooolly, I think my heart stopped there. This issue is too close to home.

Olive oil is the best, as it will resist high temps, this will stop the chemical change that happens faster with most.

But Quantum is correct the best oil to cook with is water.

Good question if you don’t know the answer!

Hi, MookJong. I’m a strong advocate of the health benefits of ghee.

Butter is a food that seems to go in and out of nutritional fashion. We all know that butter is a dense fat that contains a high level of cholesterol, but this is only part of the picture. Butter is also a rich source of small-chain fatty acids, principally one called butyric acid, which has been shown to have beneficial effects on the colon and digestive tract. The better version of butter is ghee (clarified butter). It can be stored at room temperature. Because all the proteins and milk solids have been removed, it can be used at higher cooking temperatures.

Ghee is high in butyrate/butyric acid. Butyric acid is the main energy source for colonic epithelial cells. Adequate amounts are necessary for healthy metabolism of the colonic mucosa. A possible mechanism for the anticancer action of dietary fiber is the increased fermentation of fiber to butyrate. It has been suggested that failure to use butyric acid by colonic mucosal cells or inadequate amounts available in the colon could be a primary factor in the etiology of ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer.

Remarkably, the use of ghee has not been shown to produce higher levels of blood cholesterol in societies that use ghee heavily in cooking (India & Pakistan). Since the milk proteins have been removed in processing, ghee can be used by people intollerant or allergic to milk and milk products.

If you do use olive oil, don’t go above a certain temperature (220fahrenheit?)

-Zulu

I would think the temperture would denature the flax oil.

Coconut oil is another solid choice here.
MCT’s…most have known I have been harping on this for a while…similar to what Terry is talking about…small/medium chain fatty acids. Very very important!!!

Out
Vain

Thanks for the info … guess I’ll have to give ghee a go.

Must admit I’m a little confused now … been frying with olive oil but after re-reading a few of Berardi’s articles and a bit of Erasmus I got the impression that even at relatively low (ie household) temperatures the chemical structure would be changing.

Just how much can olive oil be heated before turning nasty?

MookJong, at a certain temperature any fatty acid/oil/fat is altered negatively (i.e., starts to burn, brown, and become toxic to the body). The temperature for coconut and olive and ghee are just higher than for other oils/fats.

The three listed are all good choices and have different health benefits. Choose among the three of them, depending on what it is you’re cooking.

You’re looking for what is called the “smoke point” of a given fat or oil. Do a search on the 'Net for:

“smoke point” (replace oil of your choice here) “degrees F”

Per the recommendation.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/guides/143

Personally, I do most all of my pan frying with sesame oil. Just watched all the asians frying in there super hot woks with it and figured it was the way to go.

I always fry my eggs with a thin coating of olive oil at the highest possible temperature… However I don’t eat eggs that often and tend to grill/roast my meat so I’m not dead yet :stuck_out_tongue:

A little trick for poaching eggs… Add a splash of regular vinegar to the water beforehand (a couple of tablespoons at most).

It helps keep the eggs “together” instead of spreading out all over the place.

Try it, it works!

If you are worried about oxidation of oils, extra virgin is the worst choice. It’s smoke point is around 250 F. Refined olive oil is around 375, but you lose the health benefit in the refining process. Butter is not the greatest either with a smokepoint of 300 F

Here’s a few good choices:

Grape seed 400 F (smoke point)
Peanut 450 F
Rice bran 500 F
Sesame 410 F
Sun Flower 450

And the highest smoke point, but very expensive:

Avocado 520 F

I personally like Grape seed as it has a neutral flavor.

I get the best results frying eggs at 250 deg. F. I guess if you like the dried out brown hard stuff on the edges a higher temp might better for you.